Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 1, 2010
I was looking to buy my son a typical ring stacker but saw this in my searching and got it instead. I'm so glad we did because it's the best toy we own. I bought it when my son was 12 months old and it's been his favorite toy for the last 3 months. I thought it would be too advanced for him but he figured it out right away. And then he started trying to put it together in different ways. He is fascinated by trying to put the pieces on in different orders or seeing if he can put them on upside down. Because there are so many more ways to put the pieces together (some that work and some that don't) he has a great time exploring. He also uses some of the individual pieces in different ways like using the green tube as a telescope. The toy itself is very attractive looking and very sturdy. It's solid wood but the pieces aren't too heavy for a young child to manipulate. The pieces are stained and not painted so I don't worry about my son chewing on any of the pieces. I can't say enough good things about this toy. It's simple but wonderful.
on December 5, 2007
My son has a couple of basic ring stackers, but this cone sorter by Plan Toys, while using the same concept, draws his attention and holds it for much longer than his basic ones. The interior tubes must be assembled by size before the outer rings can be added. At 12 months, my son definitely needs help in putting it together, but he is absolutely fascinated by the way the tubes slide into one another, as well as the way the outer rings hide the tubes. This toy will be excellent for teaching colors, size differences, and spatial relationships. And when we don't want to take it that seriously, the tubes are great for rolling on hardwood floors. This cone stacker provides a unique challenge that no other toy we've found offers!

**Now at age 3, my son still enjoys playing with this. It's a toy that I rotate in and out of his collection, so that it seems "new."
on August 21, 2013
Just an FYI, that this toy is not as pictured. It has been "updated" to a version that is made of pressed wood so there are no longer visible wood grains. For anyone interested in what you will get if you order this, thee current version has a green base and the top most yellow piece is not uniformly tapered to the top. A quick web search for "Plan Toys Cone" will bring up at least a few photos of the current version. Still nice but I definitely prefer the aesthetics of the original with wood grain and a well shaped cone.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2009
I bought this toy during a sale months ago but followed the box and held off on giving it to our daughter until she turned two. Now that she is playing with it I am regretting not giving it to her at least ten months ago. I would not hesitate to give this toy to a one year old. Our daughter had it figured out in a day but continues to creatively play with it. Sometimes she makes a mistake but she problem solves and fixes it. And this is such an elegant looking toy as well. I actually love looking at it!

My inlaws gave us a traditional plastic set of stacking colored rings which she got about a week before I remembered that I had this in our closet. She showed very little interest in that and wouldn't learn from her mistakes like she does from the much more complex Plan version. I noticed that Plan offers a more traditional ring stacker, I would take this over that any day!

We have a number of Plan toys but so far this is our favorite. I expect my daughter to be enjoying this for a long time.
on March 7, 2012
My daughter got this for Christmas when she was 9 months old. This was her favorite Christmas present BY FAR (and she got A LOT of Christmas presents!). She LOVED to take the cone apart, watch us stack the cone back up, take it apart, watch us...well you get the idea. When she was 10 months old, she could stack the outer cone when we handed her the pieces in order. At 11 months, she can put the whole thing together when we hand her the pieces in order. She is almost 1 year now and she plays with this every single day, several times per day. It holds her attention for several stacks and unstacks. She grins and claps when she gets all the pieces put together...so proud of herself! Definitely a toy that will last well into toddlerhood.
review image
on April 24, 2014
Item is NOT the one pictured. You get the newer model made of rubber and wood composite, although the rings on the inside are still made of solid wood. The color is not as bright and the rubber wood composite rings are bulky and heavier. It also doesn't look as beautiful design wise, like a big candy corn. I am keeping it, but what a shame.

Delivery, however, was quicker than expected; and the packaging is fine.
on April 14, 2012
I bought this for my 12mo old after reading reviews of various stacking toys. I was a little concerned that the toy was too complicated and that he wouldn't be interested, but I figured he'd grow into it eventually. My fears were unwarranted. There are so many ways to play with this toy. When I first opened the box, my baby (who normally does not like toys) immediately jumped on it and tried to assemble the pieces as they should be assembled (much to my surprise). After playing a bit, he decided that he'd prefer to stack everything upside down. He was fully engrossed for over 30min. The next day, he decided that he preferred to play with each piece individually, turn them around in his hands, fit pieces together in different ways, toss pieces on the floor to see how each rolled, etc. It's great that there are so many pieces and shapes (compared to a basic stacking toy) as it opens up the ways that he can play. The toy initially looked small out of the box but the pieces are actually the perfect size for his little hands. I can see him playing with this toy for a long time and changing the ways he plays with it as his motor skills develop. Highly recommend!
on December 30, 2008
We bought this toy for our now 25-month old son when he was 10 months old and he still plays with it! It is very versatile, durable, and fun. It can be stacked in multiple ways and inspires creativity and exploration in such a fun way. My son't set of blocks has been thrown, bitten. dropped, run over with multiple large toy vehicles, and just generally abused for 15 months and yet it looks like new. Plan toys make fantastic toys, and this one is no exception.
on October 2, 2013
This is not your father's wooden toy ring pyramid, or like the plastic one you had as a kid or bought for your last child. My 2-1/2 year old granddaughter who is pretty smart for her age (of course!) was immediately fascinated with it and learned its somewhat complicated build order (due to the internal set of 3 rings and 1 peg) after only showing her twice how it assembled. It's the internal parts that make it so different and somewhat difficult and require the child to memorize its specific sequence. She always looks for it and puts it together a few times when she comes over, then sets it aside like a finished masterpiece, so don't expect it to amuse for hours. It exercises the memory, teaches colors (but not well) and descending size match-ups, and then they're done until their little brother knocks it over and they have to re-build it following a brief altercation, lol! Considering the rather high price for this hip wood (or perhaps "rubberwood") toy, I feel justified in pointing out its imperfections. For one, the designer made a major mistake by making two of the touching pyramid rings both ORANGE! True, one is light orange and one is dark orange, but this is a toy for tiny tots that is suppose to teach basic colors so all touching colors should be bold and very different to make it easier for the child identify the color. Adding to this confusion, the dark orange ring isn't that much different from the red ring. I'd re-paint all the pyramid rings into 5 distinct colors, giving the wood base a color too as "wood colored" isn't a primary color. Lastly, such an expensive toy should have had some "lips" with routed slots or connectors of some type so the pyramid shape will somehow "lock" together when done building it. That cone shape is easily lost or topled with a slight bump. Plus, should you grab it when assembled to toss it in the toy box it will all come apart, thus you're always looking for all 9 pieces to play with it. You know it's only a matter of time before one of the parts goes missing forever under the couch or in the seat cushions and renders the toy useless.
on January 14, 2012
No worries about paint chipping off. The colors are as expected, like a rainbow...nothing too bright or dull. The wood is shaped and sanded well. My daughter (15 months) is curious about the shapes and colors and is still learning how to arrange the pieces in the right order to make the cone. Keeps her engaged for about 5-10 minutes at a time. What more can I ask for?