1,864

1,416 of 1,446 people found the following review helpful
on May 5, 2005
Size Name: 2 Quart
I purchased this after much debate about whether or not I needed a two quart ice cream maker or just go with the original Cuisinart $49.95 one. I am so glad i bought this one. It is so great. Easy to use, makes alot of ice cream,so sleek looking.

I have a tiny kicthen and everytime I turn around I am buying something that will clutter my counterspace, but I have to say this I don't mind. It is square, not to bulky and the cord fits nicely up inside the machine. It doesn't dangle or anything. It's right next to my KitchenAid.

I have made two recipes out of the manual that comes with the machine. I usually don't like "manual recipes" however, these are fantastic. The Mango Gelato was a huge hit with family and friends. One girl who doesn't like ice cream, liked it. The simple ice creams that dont require making a custard, you just mix all the ingredients together and freeze, I was thinking it would be terrible. It wasn't, so you can make ice cream in 30minutes from start to finish with those recipes.

I do keep the bowl in the freezer like others suggested with the smaller ice cream maker. It has been very useful to have it already frozen when I am ready to make ice cream.

As far as noise, it is not as quiet as I thought, but don't let that scare you. It's not like turning on a blender and leaving it running for 25 minutes. It's not an annoying noise. Not like the old ice cream makers with the ice and stuff. It is fun to watch it churn too. So the noise just fades to the background.

It's very interactive and a great thing to do with kids and company.

I really can't say enough good. One of the best appliance investments I have mad yet.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,316 of 1,363 people found the following review helpful
on June 9, 2009
Size Name: 2 Quart
This product started to malfunction a little more than a year into its life.

At first, it made great ice cream. Now, the unit generates so much heat while it is turning that the bowl unfreezes and I end up with a pultaceous mess that isn't remotely close to ice cream.

Avoid this.

______________________________________________________
UPDATE: Cuisinart replaced my defective product. For a $10 shipping charge, they shipped a new unit to me the same day I called. It shipped from New Jersey via UPS and I had it two days later. They require that you ship the defective unit to them in New Jersey at your own expense, but they will ship your replacement without first having the defective unit. My total out of pocket expense was $20. I'm very happy with the customer service.
4040 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2008
Size Name: 2 Quart
I bought this a few months back from Sharper Image. Since then, I haven't bought ice cream outside of my home. You can make not only ice cream, but sorbets, slushes, and other frozen desserts. It's very simple to use: mix the ingredients, turn the single switch on, and come back in 20 minutes. The machine makes a humming noise as it's churning. I'd say it's louder than an electric can opener, but quieter than a blender.

Clean up is pretty simple. There are only 4 parts to the machine: the machine base (which you don't wash), the drum, the mixer, and the top. The last two are easy enough to put in the diswasher. In fact, if you pour perfectly, then you don't have to clean the top. The drum, however, you'll have to wash by hand. It's easy enough to clean though. Just DON'T use paper towels to dry it if it's still in the frozen state, otherwise the towel pieces will stick.

I've seen two common complaints that I'd like to address:

1) "You can't use it right out of the box." True, you have to take the drum (it's like a thick bucket) and put it in the freezer overnight. Or at least until you can't hear the liquid sloshing in between the walls of the drum. But keep in mind how ice cream is made.

Regardless of what device you use to make ice cream, in all cases you're basically taking a sweet cream-based liquid (cream, sugar, egg, flavoring) and stirring it against a cold surface. This freezes the substance while still keeping it soft (there's a microscopic amount of air inside the ice cream), instead of becoming a block of frozen solid cream. The old hand-crank devices do this by lining the outside surface with chunks of ice and rock salt. This machine instead just has a single piece you store in the freezer until it's cold, then take it out when you're ready to make ice cream. This is much less messy and easier than having to get ice and rock salt out for every recipe.

2) "It comes out soft." Yes, freshly made ice cream will have a consistency like softserve. All you have to do is pour it in an air tight container and stick it in your freezer. Then it will have the correct consistency of store-bought ice cream. It says this right in the directions. I have to wonder if people bothered to read them first.

Although about a dozen sample recipes are included, I would recommend buying an additional ice cream recipe book. I HIGHLY recommend the one by Ben & Jerry's, as it's extremely informative (gives their trial & error tales for each recipe, etc.), has lots of recipes, and is very easy to follow. I'd also recommend getting some Tupperware or similar to store the ice cream. I've found that the 2-quart Glad Interlock plastic containers are the perfect size for a batch.

Have fun experimenting. Oh, and as I'm sure others have said: you may just need a gym membership after getting this.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 19, 2006
Size Name: 2 QuartVerified Purchase
The Cuisinart ICE-30BC works wonderfully. It is easy to use -- just one switch which says "on" and "off". In addition, it has a handsome design and is easy to store.

If you like to experiment with foods, this is a great purchase.

I had not previously owned an ice cream maker -- if you're in the same position, here's some things to expect:

* Don't buy one if you're simply trying to save money on ice cream for the family. The maker is costly, as are good ingredients.

* Good, rich ice cream requires cooking a custard-like mixture. Meaning double boiler on the stove, then a lengthy cooling process. Although you could avoid cooking and make a simple ice cream with the ice cream maker alone -- the results are not the same.

* The canister part of the 2 quart Cuisinart maker must be placed in the freezer for about 24 hours before each use. Keep this in mind if you have a packed freezer and/or tend to like instead gratification.

* The machine is noisy. A bit noisier that most blenders. And it needs to run for about a half hour.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2005
Size Name: 2 Quart
I used this to make a custard based ice cream (recipe below) and it came out WONDERFULLY! The ice cream was done in 20 minutes and the consistency was fluffy. The recipe I made before (non custard) didn't thicken as nice, but I believe it was because it was not made with the custard base. I have uploaded a customer image of the maker in action near the end of the cycle.

*TIP* Make sure the bowl is completely frozen and do not pull it out until you are ready to pour the ingredients in.

Custard Base Recipe:

Ingredients for base - 4 egg yolks, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar.

For Ice cream - base, 1 cup fresh heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Directions - In a double boiler slowly bring milk to a boil. In a glass bowl mix together egg yolks and sugar until thickened. Slowly pour in the milk stirring constantly. Return to double boiler and slowly heat until thickened. (Mixture will stick to back of the spoon. DO NOT BOIL! Remove from heat and allow to cool. (I recommend putting it in the freezer for about 2 hours before using.) When the mixture is cooled mix in the heavy cream and vanilla. According to maker directions, turn on machine and slowly pour mixture in. If you want to add chips, fruit or anything else to the ice cream, do it about 5 minutes before the end of the cycle. Enjoy!
review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2005
Size Name: 2 QuartVerified Purchase
If you like frozen treats and you like them easily made with very little mess and fuss...for goodness sake get this appliance BUT don't use the recipes in the machine's guide...also pick up Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. We bought this frozen treat maker based on the reviews here and it exceeded our expectations...we've made a number of the recipes in Ben and Jerry's book but I'll describe our first effort because it's representative of all our efforts...here it goes...I threw together some sugar, milk, eggs, and cream for about 5 minutes...placed it in the machine, turned it on, did some chores for 23 quick minutes...two minutes before stopping the machine I added crushed Oreos...I stopped the machine and we enjoyed absolutely GREAT ice cream...clean up was a breeze...that's it! One warning...Ben and Jerry's recipes say a "generous one quart"...that means close to two quarts. I have to say the "problem" mentioned by some of having to keep the freezing bowl in the freezer wasn't an issue...in fact, I'll probably get another bowl and keep it in the freezer as well...they take up VERY little space. Get this machine and enjoy...it's a no-brainer folks!!!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 2 QuartVerified Purchase
This machine makes great homemade ice cream easy! For those of you who complain about the machine being loud or messy, you must've never used one where you need ice and salt to freeze the cream. Yes, it does make some noise, but it's tollerable and it's only for 30 minutes.

The ice cream does come out with more of a soft serve consistancy, but this is not unusual and you need to put it in the freezer for a firmer ice cream. Just being able to make fresh ice cream on your kitchen counter is worth it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2005
Size Name: 2 QuartVerified Purchase
No crushed ice and rock salt. It uses a double-walled container/bowl that needs to be in the freezer for about 24 hours for best results. Of course it will depend on your freezer settings and how much time it is out of the freezer. Your mileage may vary. I have "gotten away" with 12 hours, but the final product is very soft and it takes longer to make. If after 45 minutes the ice cream isn't ready, then the bowl probably didn't freeze long enough. Put it in the freezer for an hour or two. It will be just as delicious, but will be more dense. It's best to transfer the ice cream to a plastic container with a lid so it won't absorb freezer odors. Ours never lasts long enough for this to be an issue. Store the bowl in the freezer so it's ready for next time.

While it is larger than the ICE-20, it's still only 2 quarts. I've found this to be ideal for spur-of-the-moment ice cream fun for just my family. However, don't throw away your larger churn just yet. You'll need it for parties. But because it is small, I find that I'm more willing to experiment with flavors since I won't be "wasting" it if it doesn't turn out right. But the only time that happened is when I used 100% Splenda. (If you want to save calories/carbs, experiment with one of the sugar alcohols like Erythritol or Xylitol. They yield a better tasting product with better texture.)

Overall, I am very pleased with this product. It couldn't be any easier to use. Simply freeze the bowl, put in the mixed ingredients and 20-30 minutes later you have great tasting ice cream.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2012
Size Name: 2 Quart
To make your first batch great, follow these few simple but absolutely critical steps:

* Place the container in a freezer that is at least 0 degrees (I set my freezer for -6) for a minimum of 12 hours but I freeze the container for about 24 hours. Don't short cut this step. Your ice-cream won't come out hard enough and you'll blame the machine.
* All of your ingredients must be fully chilled. When in doubt, leave in fridge overnight.
* Make sure that you use the correct amount of sugar. Too little sugar will result in ice cream with ice crystals. Too much sugar and your ice cream won't get hard.
* For a superior consistency, don't cut back the amount of cream. I initially used half-and-half instead of cream. Result: Too many ice crystals. Edible but not great.
* Don't overfill the machine. When the ice cream starts to freeze, the mixture takes up a lot more room and can overflow making an awful mess.

Know that your ice cream won't be freezer rock hard. After about 20-30 minutes, the ice cream will have a fairly soft "smoothie" consistency. If you want harder ice cream, remove the ice cream from the container and place the ice cream in plastic containers in the freezer for 4-8 hours.
I store the ice cream into one pint plastic containers (completely filled with no air space).

* Don't deviate too much on your first batch -- follow the instructions.
* Don't get too creative with your first batch -- keep it simple.

Now onto the review of the machine:

I initially bought the ICE-21 from a major chain that take 20% off coupons. While I didn't have any problems with the machine, I thought the batch size was a bit too small and bought the ICE-30BC. I think the ICE-30BC is noisier than the ICE-21 and when the outdoor temperatures is no longer hot (it's July now with daily temperatures in the high 90s), I'll make the ice cream outdoors. I find the noise annoying. As the ice cream solidifies, the machine becomes noisier. Probably due to the resistance of the ice cream as it becomes stiffer.

I found the machine extremely easy to use but I watched several videos on youtube before making my first batch so I knew what to expect. Some videos are positively awful but some were very informative. The instructions for making custard ice creams varied greatly. I found The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments to be helpful.

I cover the big hole on top with one of those blue freezer flexible packs that I keep in the freezer. This keeps the container cold while making ice cream. I haven't read anywhere that states that it's necessary, but it does make me feel better.

My one "complaint" with this ice cream maker is that there's no way I can make 2 quarts of ice cream from this machine. I can only make 3 pints. If I add any additional ingredients, then the ice cream overflows.

Storage: The ice cream maker will take up about 9" of shelf space.

The only part of the machine that I find to be annoying is getting the ice cream off of the paddle fast enough so that it doesn't melt. I have to work quickly. In the winter, this will be less of a problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't need to read any further, but if you're interested in why we starting making ice cream, read on!

Years ago, we took our very young children to a new ice cream shop in Burlington, Vermont. The shop was in old car garage and very primitive but the two new owners were very friendly and they really knew how to make superb ice cream. One of the guys gave my kids small free cones. They only made a limited amount of ice cream each day in relatively small electrically driven ice cream makers that used salt for the cooling and sometimes they would run out for the day. We went there many times and were never disappointed. Of course, you know that I'm referring to Ben and Jerry.

Fast forward to today. We're not big into desserts or ice cream but every now and then, my wife gets this irresistible urge for ice cream. There are precious few ice cream parlors where we currently live and none of them have any good ice cream. We still compare ice cream to the original Ben and Jerry's ice cream from many years ago. The Ben and Jerry's ice cream in stores now has this bland lackluster flavor and we cover it with home made fudge, bananas and nuts. I asked myself why are we paying so much for something we don't really enjoy and masking it with toppings?

On my first batch, I make Philadelphia style of ice cream (no cooking involved) but used half-and-half instead of cream and the results were disappointing (a lot of ice crystals).

I bought Nielsen-Massey 32 oz. Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract. which has a wonderful taste. For a smoother consistency (but requires much more work and cooling time) I made a custard based ice cream and used 2 cups of cream and 1 cup of milk with eggs from a neighbor who lets the chickens run around the yard. This time, the ice cream was superb and reminded us of the original Ben and Jerry's ice cream from so long ago. Now, adding fudge or any ornaments is a taste crime since the condiments are masking the great flavor. To increase the vanilla flavor for the next batch, I bought Premium Bourbon-Madagascar Vanilla Beans - 16 beans. [UPDATE: Aug, 12. WOW! If your goal is to make the world's best vanilla ice cream, you'll really want to add these beans. Great distinctive flavor. I store the beans in a air-tight bag in the refrigerator]

To check the temperature of the custard (the custard must be cooked to be between 160-175 degrees), I bought the Raytek MT6 Non-contact MiniTemp Infrared Thermometer. Look at the image gallery where I posted some photographs of the MT6 in use. I also bought the 19 dollar RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer just in case. The RT600C "super-fast" thermometer takes 6-10 seconds but the Raytek MT6 takes zero time (but isn't suitable for taking internal temperatures).

After you've made your own ice cream, you'll find store-bought so terribly lacking and making your own ice cream is a lot of fun! If you make Philadelphia ice cream which doesn't require any cooking, your kids will love the experience (just keep their little hands out of the machine while it's plugged in).
review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2009
Size Name: 2 QuartVerified Purchase
In order to make quality ice cream with a good consistency, you need good ingredients, a frozen apparatus, and a mechanism that properly turns and scrapes the sides of the container. That's a pretty basic view. This machine gives you a 2qt container/bowl that stays frozen pretty well throughout the ice cream making process. The scraper, on the other hand, does not adequately scrape the sides of the container. Can you still make good tasting stuff? Yes, but it could be much better.

If you don't care and just want something quick to eat, this machine should be fine. It is loud, for sure, but that is to be expected. It is a motor after all.

If you are particular about your ice cream like I am and have experience with the old-fashioned hand crank types, my recommendation is this: occasionally/frequently take a plastic device (spoon, spatula, etc) and scrape the sides (and bottom) of the container while it is turning. This will keep the most frozen parts from staying on the side. You want them to be intregrated into the rest of the mixture. This accomplishes two things: 1) your ice cream will freeze faster and 2) it will have a better/creamier consistency.

Also, don't forget to make sure your ingredients are cold BEFORE putting them into the container. I did not buy the extra bowl but it would be worth it for those who wish to make a lot of successive batches. Otherwise you'll be waiting for the bowl to refreeze.

Overall, I would buy this item again. It is reasonably priced and is easy to use.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations