Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Air King 9145 6-Inch 2-Speed Clip-On Fan
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: NA|Package Quantity: 1|Change
Price:$31.32+ Free shipping

on July 27, 2008
I purchased this fan for my daughter because her west-facing room gets especially hot in the evenings, even with A/C on. We had another fan that was too loud for her and that vibrated terribly when we placed it up high enough so she could feel the wind from it. This fan was the perfect solution! We clipped it on her bed and she can adjust it herself from off to high or low. It is the quietest fan in our house by far and she can still hear her Mozart good night music, which we play quietly, over the fan. The fan is easy to angle or adjust as well and the clip is strong once you've placed it so it stays in place. We are really happy with this purchase and my husband who can't stand to hear a pin drop is considering getting one for himself.

Update: We ordered a second one in 2011 and it is not identical to the one we ordered in 2008, but it is still effective, though somewhat less quiet.
11 comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2010
This little fan is fabulous. One of my boys, age 13, loves to have a fan blowing directly on him when he sleeps. The problem is he sleeps way up on a loft bed where there's no air circulation. Enter this little Air King clip-on, and his problems are solved. It plugs into an oulet near the ground, the cord stretches up the side of the wall, all the way to the top of the loft where the fan clips onto the metal rail of his bed. Voila! He has his own personal cool-front every time he sleeps. The clip is very sturdy. I was concerned that it would shift since the bars of his loft bed are tubular shaped. But it doesn't budge an inch.
on May 1, 2009
In my search for a fan for my tiny room, I had specific criteria:
1) Relatively inexpensive
2) Quality parts
3) Quiet/silent (most important)
4) Low wattage

Misc criteria:
*)Free shipping
*)Service, 30-day $ back guarantee if I'm not satisfied

The Air King 9145 on Amazon matched my criteria precisely. I got it for $25, shipped & no tax. I received it fairly promptly (could care less; shipping was free).

Anyways, the box is pretty no-thrills and that's the way it should be. It comes with:
1) Box
2) Paper manual (note: you can download the manual online by searching "air king 9145 user manual" and go paperless :)
3) Fan main assembly
4) Clip.

The fan can be mounted by using either the clip seen in the picture, or using a screw. The screw-mount is on the back of the fan clip. I personally mounted it using the clip. I found that hanging the fan upside down on a thin piece of wood doesn't really work well. You need a "chunky" place for the clip to get a good grip and hold it. I found best of both worlds with the top of my desk. A pole could work also.

The fan has 0-1-2 settings. The manual advertises the fan uses 9 watts on setting "1" and 13 watts on setting "2". I can confirm this is 100% correct using my killawatt(TM) device.

-Noise-
I personally don't like a lot of air blowing on my face, so I used setting "1" and I like it. It blows enough air to keep me/my laptop cool without drying my eyes. On setting 1, the fan is pretty quiet, even for very-very-noise sensitive people like. It is not "dead silent", but "quiet". Setting 2 is a bit louder and I don't like putting it on setting 2 for that reason.

The fan setting is adjusted on the back of the fan head. I find myself baffled as to why the company decided to do a "0-2-1" setting instead of "0-1-2" which is more logical. Now it takes me twice as many "clicks" to get to my setting. Not a big deal (for me especially, since I use a remote control to turn that outlet on).

The wiring feels nice and thick and the build quality feels solid. I wish the plug didn't use a "three prong", since I have to get a special extension cord for it. :-(

Other than that, what can I say? It performs very well. I am very pleased with this purchase and would do it again!

Pros:
1) Reasonably priced
2) Free shipping, no tax if fulfilled from Amazon
3) Fan is quiet on setting 1
4) Fan wiring is thick and solid! Fan feels high quality

Negatives:
1) Could be cheaper? ($25 shipped, no tax is reasonable IMO, but for a 6" fan still pricey for some)
2) Only comes in white. This is my biggest complaint. I guess I could use a primer/black spray paint, but it would be great if it came in black :)
3) Clip spring could be a bit stronger.
4) Plug is three pronged (sucks for getting an extension cord)
66 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2015
*Update* I now own 6 of these fans, having one in each corner of a 4' x 4' grow tent, all set on low, creates a beautifully windy, but not forceful, environment. I think it's one of the better upgrades I've made to my grow room equipment. The poles of a grow tent are just big enough for the clips to get a hold of and they still get a great grip, there's no movement whatsoever from where they were set. I have one in a small vegetative grow tent and the other in my cloning area. They don't seem to mind running 24 hours a day, we'll see how long that lasts. I absolutely love these fans, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of the same if I needed them.
on July 2, 2011
This fan replaced a "cheapest available" fan of the same size and general design.

Differences:

- Its quieter. A few reviews noted that that fan was silent. For mine, that isn't true. But it is very quiet, especially on the slower of the two speeds. I can hear it sitting at my desk, but is quieter than the old fan, and I can live with it to gain a nice cool breeze. On high speed, sound is quite noticeable. Maybe quieter than others, but still not something I would want to sit next to all day. It's about 3 feet from my desk - if it was across the room the sound would be less noticeable.

- Its smaller - the old fan had the same size blades, but the cage and overall design makes this considerably smaller.

- Better build and design. This fan seems like a product that a company would like to have its name on. Fan and clip snapped together immediately, no tools needed. Overall a solid look and feel. Also came nicely packaged with four pages (!) of English language instructions, and an equal volume in Spanish

- Doesn't oscillate - one reason its smaller. That's a good thing for me, not a facility I ever used. One less thing to fail/adjust. If you want an oscillating fan, not for you.

- One note - this has a three prong grounded plug. IMO not needed for an item like this, unless you use your fan in the bathtub. It's not a problem, unless you plan on using an extension cord with only 2 prongs.

on January 11, 2007
I use this fan at work, it clips on almost anywhere. It is very quiet and has 2 speeds. Done me well so far and at $15 bucks a great value.
on May 25, 2013
I was looking around here for a small clip-on fan to replace one that recently became noisy. When I found this one, I was surprised to see Amazon "remembered" I bought this fan in 2008, and reported the fact at the top of my screen. That's actually a handy feature. So here I am buying another one in 2013. I figure a five year lifespan is fair enough. I used it to circulate air in my air-conditioned computer room --often running continuously for months at a time.

It is well built; has a sturdy clip; is easily adjustable, and quiet (for the first 5 years.) Towards the end of their lifespan, the bearings or brushes or some component(s) just wear out and the fan starts to whine or chatter.
on January 3, 2007
Quiet and easy to use. I use it to keep my electronics cool. It's not noisy

and easy to place to keep my stereo components cool.
on April 30, 2015
This is a great item. I sweat really bad in stuffy warm environments. I always like to have a stream of air circulating. I bought this little inexpensive fan for my desk at work and it does the job nicely.

I'm an editor at My Tech Report.com and need no distractions. This fan is quiet so I can be in the phone without background noise. It's small and inconspicuous. It's light, yet powerful.

If I had to get another, I would buy this one again.
review image
on March 31, 2011
I got this after reading that having a fan in the baby's room significantly reduces risk of SIDS. The fan is great for that purpose - quiet and has an appropriately low speed. I'm giving it a 4 rather than 5 just because the clip only opens to about 1 3/4 inches, so it can't grip onto all types of cribs.