Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Strumbellas Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Format: Toy|Change

on December 31, 2007
My 3 1/2 year old daughter got this from Santa for Christmas, along with a few other Melissa & Doug sets. We are big fans of this toy company, so far all the sets we have purchased have been durable and well made, my daughter loved her alphabet puzzle with sound from last year, it still works great and looks brand new.
We got around to opening this set today, and she was all excited, and started to spell out several boards at once...then I discovered the problem, there were no letter "e" in the box, or "a"...only one each of the "d" and "o" letters. So being a long time purchaser of their products, called the number listed on the sticker on the back, and immediately was connected with a LIVE human being, no computer nonsense telling me to press 1 then press 2...that alone was amazing, lol...and the woman I spoke with took all the info quickly, and then without any hesitation told me a new set would be out to my daughter today...no asking me to return the defective set, she was quick, efficent, and very pleasant. This one problem with the set would not have turned me off to their toys, but with such quality customer service I am an even bigger fan than ever of this toy company...
44 comments|382 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 29, 2014
Was disappointed that some of pictures didn't match the word. Screened on the wrong side.
review image review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the See & Spell. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and help you with this. Please give me a call at 800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on November 23, 2008
My 5 year old likes to play with this toy, but the problem is the lack of a lid for the box. The letters fall out and it is a big pain to take in the car. For a Melissa & Doug toy, I'm suprised that the storage is so poor.
33 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2006
My 2 year old son is on the Autism Spectrum and tends to think in a very visual manner. He absolutely adores this toy! When I saw the recommended age, I was a bit hesitant, but I'm so glad that I went ahead and got it!
77 comments|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 6, 2010
I LOVE Melissa & Doug products. We have used them for years and years through two kids. Most of them are really good and well thought out.
This is a good product but fell a little short as a teaching tool.

There are tons of letters and words to work with and it has a lot of possibilities. But once your child knows letters and is ready to start spelling words (what I saw as the main purpose in this) the learning aspect of this is gone.

Because there are pictures on each side of each board and a cut out of each letter used to make up each word, there is no need for the child think of anything except for matching letters. There is no reason for them to sound out a word and find letters or to spell a word and try to read it. All they need to do is look at the picture and say the word.

I think a better approach would have been to have two levels of learning. One side of the board could have the picture and letter cutouts. The other side could have just the picture or just the letters. Children could then either have to spell out a word by looking at the picture or to sound out a word from just the letters without a picture clue.

It is a nice idea and great for fine motor skills, letter recognition, lower case letter learning etc. But it is very limited in learning options.

I suppose you could just take the letters and ask your child to spell a word without the boards but at that point, why not just get magnetic letters and nothing else.

Not my favorite M&D product.
on October 29, 2008
Not impressed with this toy. Good concept very poor execution. We have owned this toy about two weeks. Specifically the top color laminate of the letters is falling off about 25% of the letters. The storage box is poorly made with cheap materials. I would not recommend this toy.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2009
We bought several different Melissa and Doug toys and we love them but on all of them, only after a week of play, the paint is coming off various pieces. On the letters, I can already see white where the red paint used to be on this toy. I'm disappointed, however, I surmise given the lead-paint scare last year that perhaps the company switched paint products and they are just not as durable but safe. I still caution, as your child may end up putting paint chips in their mouth. Or getting it on their hands. I'm going to write to the company to ask about their lack of paint durability; as with three toys and only a week's worth of play I should expect better.
on May 6, 2007
I bought this for my 2yr. old (just turned 3), she loves it! She already knows most of her letters in uppercase, these letters are all lowercase so it is a whole new learning experience for her. She enjoys finding the letters and doing the puzzle, then telling me what it says.

There are 10 two sided sturdy wooden spelling boards and over 70 wooden letters included. The boards all have a picture of the word they are writing. This is an excellent way to teach your child how to spell as well as letter recognition.

We have a few other puzzles by Melissa nd Doug and we love them all, they make quality sturdy toys.

It says it's for ages 4 and up but my daughter loves it. It's never to early to learn letters and spelling, my little one just turned 3 and she can spell her name and has starting learning to write it as well.
on May 4, 2008
This toy is ok. The puzzles are fun, and my 4 year old enjoys them from time to time. It doesn't keep his attention very long. The part I don't like is the storage. The box the puzzles and letters come in is not very sturdy, and there is no lid over top of the letters. It would be nice to have a snap on cover so the letters would be easier to keep track of.
on December 2, 2010
This toy is built upon a good idea, but executed poorly. I purchased this puzzle and was very excited to use it with my son. However, I realized that the letters were giving him splinters because the wood was peeling off the sides. I returned the toy, quite dissapointed.
Additionally, I feel that the letters are a bit difficult to find because they are all in one small spot. The child will have to organize the letters first before spelling. Or, have the patience to sort through the letters to find the one they are looking for. I believe the montessori sandpaper letters will be of higher quality as well as take care of the secondary issue.