TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 15, 2014
OVERVIEW
Everyone needs general purpose paper tape, the duct tape of the desk, the tape for school kids, and for repairing paper tears, posting notes, and wrapping gifts. It seems to me that Scotch brand tape has a monopoly on this kind of tape. "Scotch" tape got its name for being "scottishly" stingy with the amount of tape in each roll, so as the name stuck with the public, years ago, 3M co-opted that and registered Scotch as a brand name. Most people think that if it's not Scotch, it's not good tape. Well, I don't know about that, really, but that's how it is, what can you do about it? 3M is a huge corporation that makes trainload after trainload of tape and other small stuff. 3M can undercut any smaller tape maker's price. Can you name just one other brand of clear tape like this? Nope. Thought so. The only competition, crumbs off the table, are nameless el cheapo brands or big box office supply store house brands sporting the house name.

PROS
- For paper, it just works, it sticks well

- Magic Tape is highly transparent, and almost invisible, now a required trait for wrapping gifts.

- Fairly easy to remove from a hard, smooth surface.

CONS
- Once attached to paper, the paper will tear if removal is attempted.

- You really do not get much tape for the money. It cannot cost much to produce this tape. Great profit margin for 3M.

- Hard to find the tape end once it is stuck to the roll, and difficult to remove the tape end from the roll. Use a dispenser for loose rolls.

- Buying tape with an integral, throw-away dispenser may be convenient but is wasteful, so buy the rolls of tape without this cheap plastic, throwaway dispenser and instead use a durable, separate, dedicated dispenser instead of being wasteful.

CONCLUSION
You need this kind of tape, especially for joining paper. Scotch brand tape has made any real competition disappear; this is a marketing and advertising triumph for the 3M corporation. Not so good for us. Not a cost value. But it does work well; it does what we want.

If you have questions or comments please comment below and I will try to help, and if I helped please let me know.
________________________________________________________________________________

To view my Blog, THE GOOD STUFF REVIEWS, please see my Profile up above and click on the blue highlighted link.
Size Name: 3 RollsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Scotch tape is a staple in my home. Yes, I can find cheaper tape at my local Dollar store, but as always, you get what you pay for, and the cheaper tape's adhesive never fails to eventually peel away and stop sticking. Not such a problem with 3M's Scotch tape.

Scotch Magic Tape is great for wrapping gifts with matte finish wrap, as it virtually becomes invisible on it. Glossy wrapping papers, however, will evidence the presence of Scotch brand's magic tape in the absence of sheen where the tape has been placed. If you're not overly particular with regards to this sort of stuff, you'll do fine with it. The 3/4 inch width is also a nice, wide tape for average, every day use. I tend to use Scotch tape a lot in lieu of those kitchen clip things to close up opened packages. Fold over a little tab at the end of a long strip of tape, wrap half of it on one side of the opening, stick it to the opposite side of the bag/packaging, and you're good to go. It even holds in the freezer. Who needs a clip, anyway?

The one thing that turns me off about this package of Scotch tape is the misleading product packaging. The rolls are made to appear as if they have more tape on them than they actually do. I'd honestly rather pay more for three FULL rolls of tape, than pay just over a buck and a quarter (on Amazon; more at your local retail store) for a roll of tape that's really only half full, as the base of the roll of tape is just filler plastic. Not just misleading, but wasteful and environmentally unfriendly, too! It's a Scotch brand BOGO! And NOT the kind you really want!

Overall, Scotch tape works well for what it's supposed to do. It's tape - it SHOULD work well! But the fact that 3M misleads its customers by sticking a big throwaway empty plastic core onto each of these cheapie dispensers costs them (reputation-wise), in my book. If you need this tape, this is the place to get it at a good price (especially if you've got an Amazon Prime membership). But if you don't need one roll for the car, one for the office, and one for home, I think you're better off looking for a fuller single roll of tape than going with what Scotch offers here.
review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size Name: 3 RollsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
Perhaps one of the surest ways of showing your age is to remark to a younger person that you no longer use the original Scotch tape. "What's that?" is likely to be the response, since the company's "Magic Tape" has now been with us longer that few of us realize. In fact, it appears to be unanimously preferred by the American consumer--to such a degree that I suspect the original tape is displayed alongside it primarily to give the consumer the "illusion of choice," or that extra little motivator to stock up on more Magic Tape.

Not only is Magic Tape more invisible and durable than the original Scotch tape but it is one of the most versatile products. Except for the wide and sturdy packing tape for those large packages and Amazon returns, this is one of my most used products--in my office (where it repairs torn manuscripts, permitting me to write over the damage), bedroom (right now, it's securing a dipole FM antenna to my side of the bed), on the hallway floor (where I wrap gifts). Were anyone limited to having life-time access to no more than 10 products sold on Amazon, which would you select and in what order would you prioritize them.

I'd probably be better off without any more electronic gadgetry. It would allow me time to read the books and listen to the hundreds of CDs that have as yet to receive my undivided attention. As the amounts of ink cartridges I consume should tell me, I'm already guilty of wasting far too many trees. Besides the Scotch Magic tape, I really can't think of a single other "thing" that would deserve to occupy my shelf of the products most essential to maintaining the good life.
Size Name: 3 RollsVerified Purchase
It's kind of funny, but it's getting to he point where I have little desire to shop in regular stores. Amazon makes the shopping experience so pleasurable that even the smallest of items is easier to purchase from them, rather than going to a local store.

As far as the tape goes, there's not a great deal to say. It's the famous Scotch Magic Tape that been a staple in our home for decades. What I especially like about purchasing an item like this from Amazon, is that you're able to purchase a quantity of 3, at a price that's lower than you'd pay at a local store. Since I'm a member of Prime, shipping is free. In my opinion, there is no company in the world that comes close to what Amazon offers as far as inventory. When I searched for this, I figured it would be too inexpensive an item for Amazon to carry. I was wrong.

The convenience of having a 3 pack, and the added convenience of having it delivered free right to my door, makes me want to purchase everything imaginable from Amazon.

The bottom line is that this is a well known, top-notch product that needs no explanation as to how many different uses it is good for. Buying it from Amazon makes it so very very easy. The item gets 5 stars, as does Amazon, the best company in the world. I love Amazon so much that I could stay in my house for a year and never be short on anything. Whether it's scotch tape or groceries, Amazon has it covered.
on November 11, 2010
Size Name: 3 RollsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of those multi use products that you really can't do without in your home. I find the Scotch brand the best and well worth the few extra cents you pay for it compared to other cheaper brands. Out of all the non edible items in your home I think this is one of the constants that you need for everyday life. If you're like me you will always be looking to tape something. I have used this not only on packages but on the edges of my wallpaper when it decides to start lifting. Works great without being seen. Who would know but you that you did a little tlc repair. I've taped pencils back together with this when I've had my temper tantrum and broken on. Holds really good till I need to use that particular spot. Also works great in place of clips on chips, coffee bags and best of all putting up the precious hand drawn pictures on the refrigator that you get from your grandchildren that they sent you for one occassion or another. Don't have a bandaid in the house and need to cover a cut, put a piece of gauze or papertowel and some of our wonderfully magic tape to hold you over til you get to the store for bandaids. How many other products can you pay so little for with so many great uses.
Size Name: 3 Rolls
ok, i'm actually reviewing scotch tape! ha! now that i have kidz, scotch tape becomes invaluable, we use it for wrapping christmas and birthday packages, the backs of envelopes especially those that are a little bulgy or that have $$$ in them. a couple times a year, it seems to be used for styling my kidz' hair or barbie's hair. BLAH!!!! for present-wrapping, i can say that scotch tape has what seems to me to be the finest ability to stick and stay upon wrapping paper. i've bought some generic brands that fall apart. and then, one of the most important things, is that while i use all 18 of my hands trying to hold scissors, tape, tape dispenser, and holding the box in 15 places, the tape pulls out smoothly and i can tear it off quickly and cleanly. nobody's invented a good way yet of stopping over pulling or loose tape snuggling back on the roll, so i've gotta spend an hour pulling snippets of tape off the roll till the sides match and i can resume wrapping. i think that this brand is worth paying the extra few cents. i think that i consume as much tape as i have, whether it's one roll or 50 rolls. 3 is nice!
Size Name: 3 RollsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Scotch Magic Tape is another good product from 3M. It is the original "matte-finish, invisible" tape. I use the tape to construct signs for students when I administer the ACT, SAT, and PRAXIS standardized tests. I use a flip chart to direct examinees to the testing rooms and tape additions and changes to the basic flip page sign. The tape disappears as advertised reducing distractions for the often nervous students. I can write from the paper to taped areas of the sign in pen, pencil, or magic marker with no reductions in the readability of the information.

I also use the tape for posting direction signs on test site entry areas. The tape holds well in cold weather when glass doors and windows become misty. For testing documents and reports, I can cut and paste and then photocopy without the copies showing shadows of the tape.

I highly recommend this product for office and presentation work. In this review, the 3/4 inch x 300 inches tape in a plastic dispenser is described. It comes in a three pack cardboard container that can be used for storage.
on January 24, 2015
Size Name: 3 RollsVerified Purchase
I have used Scotch Magic Tape for many years and still like it. In fact I did not bother to read reviews since I have come to rely on this brand. That was my mistake.

I was disappointed that this product contains much less tape than other dispensers of equal size. Take a look at the video to see for yourself. Pay attention to the number of inches since the same size dispenser may have 300 inches vs. 500 inches.

Yes, I'll keep on buying Scotch Magic Tape, but not in this particular packaging which is an unfortunate waste of plastic for a tiny bit of tape. It's bad for the environment.

I highly recommend alternatives such as rolls with 1,296 inches (instead of 300 inches). If you have a refillable dispenser, here is an option Scotch® MagicTM Office Tape with 1" Core TAPE,MAGIC 3/4X1296 (Pack of30)

PROS:
- Scotch Magic Tape is good stuff

CONS:
- This particular packaging is very wasteful and only contains 300 inches per roll.
Size Name: 3 Rolls
I use this tape almost every day, it is indispensable to me. The tape is is opaque in its container but and is invisible when applied. It blends into its surroundings when you use it. It is true to its advertising as invisible tape. It sticks very well, yet you can lift it without damaging the product it is attached to.

I use it for many things, and have some unconventional uses as well

1. I use it to attach labels to the envelopes
2. I use it to tape backs and corners of envelopes
3. I use it to attach notes to the calendar (which I remove when they are no longer relevant)
4. I use it to tape the end of threads to the spools so the threads do not unravel
5. I use it to help me remove small object that are hard to reach, for example sticking it to the end of the sim card in the phone, when I need to remove it. It is so card to do gently by hand, very easy with a piece of scotch type
6. I use for various craft projects, to hold things together without being visible
Size Name: 3 RollsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We're talking about Scotch Magic Tape here (registered and trademarked), and you know it's good. You've been using this since you were a kid. You know it works all the time. I mean, think about it, when is the last time you bought a roll of Scotch Magic Tape and it did not perform perfectly? Never, that's when.

So, since we know it works all the time, and works really well, it all comes down to cost. Sure, you could buy a cheaper brand of tape. However, every time I buy a cheap imitation of Scotch tape, I regret it, because the tape gets stuck on the roll, and I have to dig it off with my fingernails to get the tape rolling again, and it's a pain. The Scotch tape doesn't stick too tightly to the roll, it sticks on the paper you're putting it on. So to me, the negligible extra cost is completely worth it, because I get to use the entire roll instead of using only a half roll of the cheap stuff which disintegrates before you can use the whole thing.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations