Most helpful positive review
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
SCOTCH MAGIC TAPE IS OK: 3/4 x 300 Inches, 3 Pack
on October 14, 2014
Everyone needs general purpose paper tape, the duct tape of the desk, the tape for school kids, and for repairing paper tears, posting notes, and wrapping gifts. It seems to me that Scotch brand tape has a monopoly on this kind of tape. "Scotch" tape got its name for being "scottishly" stingy with the amount of tape in each roll, so as the name stuck with the public, years ago, 3M co-opted that and registered Scotch as a brand name. Most people think that if it's not Scotch, it's not good tape. Well, I don't know about that, really, but that's how it is, what can you do about it? 3M is a huge corporation that makes trainload after trainload of tape and other small stuff. 3M can undercut any smaller tape maker's price. Can you name just one other brand of clear tape like this? Nope. Thought so. The only competition, crumbs off the table, are nameless el cheapo brands or big box office supply store house brands sporting the house name.
- For paper, it just works, it sticks well
- Magic Tape is highly transparent, and almost invisible, now a required trait for wrapping gifts.
- Fairly easy to remove from a hard, smooth surface.
- Once attached to paper, the paper will tear if removal is attempted.
- You really do not get much tape for the money. It cannot cost much to produce this tape. Great profit margin for 3M.
- Hard to find the tape end once it is stuck to the roll, and difficult to remove the tape end from the roll. Use a dispenser for loose rolls.
- Buying tape with an integral, throw-away dispenser may be convenient but is wasteful, so buy the rolls of tape without this cheap plastic, throwaway dispenser and instead use a durable, separate, dedicated dispenser instead of being wasteful.
You need this kind of tape, especially for joining paper. Scotch brand tape has made any real competition disappear; this is a marketing and advertising triumph for the 3M corporation. Not so good for us. Not a cost value. But it does work well; it does what we want.
If you have questions or comments please comment below and I will try to help, and if I helped please let me know.
To view my Blog, THE GOOD STUFF REVIEWS, please see my Profile up above and click on the blue highlighted link.