Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Makita 9557PB 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder with Paddle Switch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Style Name: Tool Only|Change

on July 17, 2009
This paddle switch grinder is a step up from the cheap ones you will find at places like Home Depot. It has enough power and is easy to use. Our company goes through a lot of grinders, as we work on concrete only where they take a beating and suffer under the conditions. This grinder is better than most, while affordably priced. The metal case is cool, too.

On a side note, DO NOT buy any equipment here from "CPO Makita", as they are nothing but a bunch of crooked re-sellers pushing defective equipment that they refuse to return or replace. Buyer beware - they stole from me with no remorse whatsoever, and they managed to keep my feedback off the web page, thus this oddly placed warning! Please be careful. I've never had a problem with items purchased directly from Amazon!
33 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2012
I had a hard time deciding whether I needed this and as a result spent a lot of time here and at Home Depot researching this.

Angle grinders are simple tools. All the major manufacturers basically offer slight variation of the same design. For 4.5" grinders you're basically choosing these things:

Switch: Thumb/paddle/trigger switch, locking/non-locking
Motor: Usually 7/7.5A (~3.5lbs) or 10/11A (~4.5lbs)
Miscellaneous: Tool-less guard adjustment etc
Price

That's about it. The closest competitors that I saw were the milwaikee 6130-33 and Dewalt D28110. Both of these have locking thumb switches. I thought milwaukee's switch is too small and flimsy feeling but I like the easily adjustable guard. The Dewalt has a larger and sturdier feeling switch but is heavier for a 7 Amp grinder at 4.1lbs.

This tool has what I think is the ideal switch for a grinder - paddle switch. It runs the entire length of the tool so it doesn't limit how you can hold it but means that anytime you let go the tool is going to stop. It has a small latch, positioned in the middle that must be flipped before the paddle switch turns the tool on. This becomes natural after a few uses and prevents the tool from coming on accidentally when you put it down. Thumb switches by contrast, either require you to hold the tool in a very specific way, or force you to reach for the switch to turn it off. For a hand tool this powerful that's not ideal.

So far I've only used it once to help a friend with rust on his car but given Makita's solid reputation (close or equal to Dewalt/Milwaukee) I expect this tool to last for a long time. On top of that of course, it includes a great case, 5 grinding disks and the diamond cutter. All round I think this is the best angle grinder out there.
on November 5, 2008
Amazon shipped quickly. The grinder is a comfortable size and weight. The paddle switch is easy to use and is a nice safety feature. I've used it now for 2 jobs but it suddenly died on the 2nd job - after no more than 30 minutes total combined use. I used it when it arrived to cut cabinet openings into Hardieboard (concrete board), a 20 minute job. I used it again two weeks later to cut three 18 in square concrete pavers in half. After 5-10 minutes use, it just stopped working while I cutting the 3rd paver. I now have to send it to a factory service center and I hope they replace it with a new one without a hassle.

12/5/08
I had this repaired under warranty. I was told by the factory-approved service ctr that the problem was a broken wire. No further problems since it's been serviced.
44 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2015
I wanted to clear up the confusion as to what exactly is included.
It comes with:

(1) 9557PB angle grinder
(1) Side Handle Grip
(1) Type-27 guard
(1) Type-1 guard
(5) Makita Grinding Discs for steel/stainless
(1) Makita Diamond Blade
plus owner's manual and the case of course.

The case is aluminum with zinc coated hardware and latches. They should rust in no time. I spray nuts and bolts on floor jack and other zinc hardware to not rust, but I don't want to lube up these latches - I'd never be able to open the case. Oh well - better than a cardboard box.

The case has eggcrate foam on the lid and tougher rubberized foam with cut outs for the tools and individual cutouts for each disc. Great protection for fragile wheels. Another thing I like is that the lid does not fully open. It goes a little past vertical and stops preventing damage to lid after a thousand times of throwing the lid open and it hitting the floor.

This is my first Makita (M*lwaukee and R*dgid fan-boy here). It's a great value and works great. It ate through a Br*nks R70 disc-lock without blinking. Its small size allowed me to maneuver behind the weirdly shaped lock (enclosed hasp) butted up against a corner and melt through the lock one-handed. I have a 7-inch R*dg*d angle grinder that has waaay more power and lethality, but simply would not have been able to complete this job due to it's size. Another testament to having the right tool for the job. In this case, smaller is better. I'll admit it doesn't have the power of the big boys, but i'm not cutting through foundation or 2" plate. I'm also not melting extension cords or flipping breakers every few minutes.

The included grinding wheels can handle mild steel as well as stainless and hold up way better than the Horrible Freight discs. Included discs must be precision balanced because the tool runs so smooth with these. The brand-new grinder and small diameter probably has something to do with that.

It has paddle-switch operation (dead-man's) with lock-off and it can lock-on with a push button near base of paddle. Nice feature. Overall this grinder is definitely another great addition to my toolbox and wish I had it sooner. I might buy another one. It's a great tool and I would expect nothing less than the best from an industry leader in tool manufacturing.

I haven't switched teams from M*lwaukee yet, but this little gem has definitely grabbed my attention.

P.S. Wear a face shield if you like your vision. Safety glasses alone won't cut it. Wear both. With gloves and long sleeves.
review image review image review image
on August 29, 2008
Works great. The paddle switch is very nice and allows you to have a firm grip on the grinder before you fire it up. Excellent tool. Great price.

1yr update

Worked great for a year. Now the gears are slipping and the the grinding wheel does not turn. I was hoping to get more use out of it. I thought Makita's had better longevity.

Certainly not worthy of 5 stars. Maybe 3 stars.
on May 21, 2012
I bought this grinder to grind metal down to somewhat smoothness, but have found other uses for it. Sharpening shovels & hoes, grinding bolts intwo that couldn't reach with a hacksaw or wrench. It's turned out to be a very useful tool. It has it's own lightweight aluminum case, four extra grinding wheels which seem very durable, and a diamond grinding wheel which I haven't used yet but should be good for occasional grinding of brick or stone work. The grinder is lightweight & well balanced. Everything fits in the case.
P.S. "rotatable gear housing rotates 90 degrees" . This is not a push-button procedure. The gear housing has to be unbolted & then rotated. Probably for preference of paddle switch location.
on June 4, 2011
I'm used to working tools hard and often being disappointed with the lack of durability.No fear the Makita 9557PBX is a work hoarse it doesn't get much more demanding than grinding granite. The hand grip is well placed and the trigger helps reduce hand fatigue overall the angle grinder lives up to the Makita Name.
on November 17, 2010
Has to be the best angle grinder for the price.. came with four gnding wheels and a dimond cutoff wheel.. plenty of power!! lightweight and comfortable to use
on June 19, 2012
This is a very high quality tool. The carrying case is very convenient as well, and you get 4 wheels plus a diamond cutter wheel - and all fit conveniently in the case. It's extremely powerful and goes through steel like butter - no overheating or lack of power here. Just get this one, you won't regret it.
on March 12, 2010
I sold tools for a living in my recent past. The Makita grinders were the ones that got returned for repair the least. There are a few good grinders out there, they all cost more than the "one job junk" that some people are happy to have. I learned from my customers that Makita, with it's venting system to keep grit out of the motor, will outlast most any of them. The masonry contractors especially insisted on Makita; and these guys would wear out three or four a year, per man !
I like Bosch and Milwaukee too, but every one of these companies has a tool where they really got it right. I aim to wear out my Makita grinder doing the stuff I enjoy !
It works great, and that's what I demand.
Hank