Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kershaw 1620 Scallion Folding Knife with SpeedSafe
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: N/A|Change

on August 22, 2007
I have always carried a pocket knife and found many uses for them over the years. The Ken Onion Scallion 1620 is a fantastic knife - reliable, sharp, and holds an edge quite well. It is legal since the blade is less than 3 inches in length. I worked for many years for a large urban agency in the midwest and often found police carrying them. They said they were very reliable and I never talked to an officer who stated he had any desire to replace it. The knife is light in weight, can be opened quickly with one hand, and is easy to close when finished. I have given them also to my adult children and quite few friends who continue to state they are the best small, lightweight pocket knife they have ever used.
on September 21, 2010
I bought this knife for hunting, fishing, and just everyday usage. In the past i've had smaller pocket knives that don't lock open, or the knife of my multi-tool. My multi-tool is big so it's a pain to carry around just for the sake of the knife, and the smaller pocket knife just isn't tough enough and doesn't lock open. With both of those knives it took two hands to open the blade, which meant if i was holding something i wanted to cut i'd have to let it go.

With this knife i got exactly what i was looking for. Opening the knife is easy, even with the safety on. I use my ring finger to open and close the safety and my pointer to hit the easy open, and i can put it away just as easily with the safety turned back on. The knife feels strong, the grip is good, and the balance is fantastic! It basically fits everything i was looking for.

However, all that said, this knife came out of the package DULL. Not as dull as a butter knife, but dull. There is absolutely no excuse for selling someone a dull knife out of the package, no excuse whatsoever! I've always been taught that a dull knife is a dangerous knife, and i believe that. Luckily i had just bought a new sharpener at the time and took of that problem quickly. Still, i should not have to do that. Normally good knife companies take pride in the way their knives come out of the package, that's why i bought this knife in the first place. I read a lot about Kenshaw and Ken Onion and i figured i was getting something out of the package that was going to be a solid product.

Well, it is a solid product so far. I just think it's a shame they gave me at least, a dull knife. So basically the one star missing is soley for the dull blade, otherwise i'd give it 5 out of 5 so far.

*IMPORTANT UPDATE*

There is a known problem with the safety of the knife. The actual plastic part of the safety that keeps the knife secure, broke at some random time. Luckily it didn't go off in my pocket. Kershaw will send you extra safeties free of charge. However, they just come in a plastic bag with absolutely no instructions. You need an uncommon Allen Wrench to take it off, and the fact that they sent me mutliple safeties(and from what i've read on the internet) tells me this is going to be a reoccurring problem. Knife is still great, but that is a pretty big flaw.
1313 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2008
All the reviews on here encouraged me to buy this knife along with seeing a knife like it that my friend had. The knife I recieved, although, turned out to be a lot nicer than I expected. I have had many knives and this one, by far, surpasses any and all of them. It keeps an edge great and is extremely sharp. I highly recomend purchase of this knife.
on January 29, 2011
I have been a Kershaw fan for years. I remember when this knife first came out, it looked a little odd, but the thing that impressed me the most was Ken Onions Speed Assist. It seemed like the right size for a pocket knife. Growing up my Dad always carried a 3 bladed tree brand knife. I had a few through out the years but seemed to loose them. Started buying Kershaws soon after. Anyway, I fell in love with the Scallion. I tried wearing it around with the clip on my pocket and almost lost it a time or two when I was getting things in and out of my pocket. It didn't take long and I had removed the pocket clip. Never regretted it!!! The other thing I did was remove the safety lock. I do not recommend this to anyone. I have actually had the knife unfold in my pocket a time or two over the past 10 or more years that I have been carrying this knife. I wanted something in my pocket in the event of an emergency that I could reach into my pocket and withdraw and deploy it within a split second. This knife fit the bill perfectly with the pocket clip and safety lock removed. I always wear the knife in my right front pocket as I am right handed. The knife lays in my pocket horizontally closed with the point to the right. When I reach into my pocket, because of the irregular shape of the knife, I can tell if I need to rotate it half a turn or not in my hand before deploying the knife. Deploying the knife is easy with one hand, you can either touch the back of the blade which protrudes at the top of the back side of the folded knife with your index finger or use the thumb stud. With practice it becomes second nature. The closing of the knife is just as equally easy with one hand operation as it is to open it with one hand however not with the same speed. In closing the knife the thumb is used to slide the lock to the left and the index finger is used to fold the blade down into position. With practice the knife in the left hand can be opened and closed also single handedly.

My daughter borrowed my first knife after 9-11 to cut something and forgot to give it back to me before going through check-out on a plane ride. As you can guess it was confiscated. It didn't take me long to get another Scallion. My son gave me another Scallion for Christmas thinking I hadn't got a replacement. I didn't let on for a long time that I had bought a replacement. When he found out he wanted me to trade him for a Swiss Knife. I wouldn't. I keep the new one in safe keeping and then had it as a back up in my back pack for hunting. My everyday Scallion was starting to see some wear. It must of got some water on it while hunting, anyway the speed assist quit working, so I oiled it up with some WD-40. That did the trick and got it back to working. Here just a month ago, a screw on the back side of the Scallion came out. I got out my new knife and started carrying both of them around. I noticed that I had worn down the handle on the every day knife till it was almost smooth compared to the new knife.

I got worried about the every day knife falling apart with the one screw missing, so I sent it back to Kershaw a few weeks ago. They are sending me a replacement knife at no charge. It should be here any day now. When I get it, I will set it aside until something happens to the new knife that is now my every day knife.

I suspect that the Scallion will continue to be my every day knife for some years to come. The Scallion I have is the 1620ST which has 1/2 the blade serrated.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your Scallion as I have. If you are contemplating the purchase of the Scallion, all I can say is "What are you waiting for?" It will be a decision you will not regret. Just knowing you have a Scallion in your pocket makes a difference!!!
on February 16, 2013
I've recently hit a point in my life where self reliance and preparedness has become a priority for me, so I'm new to the blade/gear world, keep that in mind if you're reading my review. First off this blade is sharp right out of the box, cuts right through that annoying plastic clamshell packing like butter. The SpeedSafe assisted opening is fast and smooth, I really like the flipper on the side for easy one handed use that isn't awkward at all. The Pocket clip is great and sturdy for my pants pocket, I wouldn't suggest using it on a belt though. The knife itself looks very non threatening and I wouldn't expect getting any second looks by others if I pulled it out and used on a small task in a public area, alternatively the fast action of the assisted opening blade could appear intimidating if you ever had to use it for self defense purposes. All and all a great blade that I plan to carry every day for a long time. Highly suggested, you won't be disappointed.
on June 25, 2015
I have the Blur Tanto which is a great knife, but it was too large to have in my pocket on many occasions. The Scallion solved my problem completely. I can put this in my pocket and it does not weigh me down at all. I take this knife when I wear slacks or need extra room in my pockets.

The clip works fine and I have not had any problems with it becoming non secure or coming unclipped. Opening it is very simple with one issue coming up. There is a locking mechanism on the knife that allows you to lock the blade (while shut) so that it does not deploy when in your pocket (ouch!). It is not a deal breaker for me but is something that you sort of have to toy with at times when going to use the knife. The lock is plastic so I am sure you could easily remove it with a little tinkering.

The blade came very sharp. I have had this knife for about 6 months now and have used it often. I have not needed to sharpen it at all.

I have been in the habit of carrying a knife or multi-tool ever since I was a kid. As I got older and more things became necessities to carry around I found I was leaving the knife at home more and more often. The Scallion solved that problem. It is not the formidable warning that the Blur is but it handles all my various day to day needs when they come up.

If I lost it, yes, I would order another one that same day!
on December 31, 2015
Scallion is a wonderful wee knife. It suits my desire for an asist opening, ligt weight, good steel, sharp knife. Scallion is about the smallest, easily handled with my large hands (xxl gloves) knife I've found. Blade snaps open with alacrity (say what). Scary sharp edge. The grind was
even and well done.Out of box it cut paper smoothly with no tearing. Cut cardboard easily. Fits well clipped to pocket, liggt weight yet quite sturdy. The body does not move when torqueing the blade. Liner lock engages well and is fully over the end of blade. Lock releases easily when you want it to. Will not disengage unil you wish it so.
Have some concern about the handle material and smoothness. Feels slippery. I will revisit this review in a couple o months after the SCALLION is put to use and report on the scales.
I like this knife. ...... A LOT!
T
on March 20, 2016
This knife is a good choice for any one looking to get a USA made folding knife for a decent price. This knife came razor sharp out of the box and sharpens up nicely. The handle lends itself to a good grip but is a little too small for my hands. This is the only knife I have had that has rusted to any noticeable decree. I think that is because of the bead blast finish because rust had accumulated on my brother Kershaw Skyline which also has a bead blast finish. Here are some stats...
Assisted Opening (Kershaw Speed Safe)
420 HC Blade
Bead Blast finish
Ken Onion designed
Liner Lock
Plastic handle scales
Flipper or Thumb Stud opening
Tip down carry, right side only
on October 12, 2015
My fourth one--I lost two when doing attic air conditioners and one I broke the tip on when I dropped it (it's in for repair). I couldn't stand to be with out this great knife so I ordered off amazon and had the replacement in two days. Now I have two so if I lose another I will have a spare. Sharp, good edge qualities, nice pocket clip which is reversible, great grip that's easy to hold onto. the assisted opening is the best. my favorite carry all day everyday pocket knife--and cheaper than anywhere I can find. This model is still USA made for those who like to know.
on April 14, 2015
This is the last knife from the genus Allium I've bought, and probably completes the USA-made Onion collection with my Shallot, Leek, Chive. This one is the Goldilocks knife for everyday carry, in my opinion. It's the smallest and most unobtrusive blade that can still do proper work. It's light, feels good, and cuts nice. The black plastic handle feels pretty decent for being plastic, and helps keep the weight down.

A close comparison can be made to the Cryo. The Cryo is thicker, heavier, and Chinese made. I prefer the Scallion over the Cryo for better pocket-ability and less clunky feel/action. Larger knives like the Shallot, Avalanche, Blackout, Lifter, etc. are good for bigger jobs, whatever that is, but don't make as much sense to carry for the just-in-case tasks like opening your Amazon boxes.