Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

• Customer Reviews

on May 15, 2010
These are the first rockets I have purchased as an adult (I had one as a kid.....over 25 years ago), and I love them. This kit was nice for 2 reasons - it came with its own launcher, and there are 2 different levels of rockets to build. The taller "Amazon" rocket was much easier to build and took me around an hour or so to build (with the help of my 5 year old). The smaller one took a bit longer (plus the time needed to wait for the paint to dry).

Being someone who is completely inept at building things, I was able to build these rockets with very little difficulty. The launcher was very easy to set up and use, and after giving my boys a little instruction, they were able to launch them with me standing off in the distance. Of course they had a blast watching these 2 launch but even more fun chasing them down through a corn field once the parachutes deployed. As advertised, the "Crossfire" goes quite higher than the "Amazon".

After 9 launches of these 2 rockets and 3 other ones that I purchased at the same time, the boys were ready to go kite flying, but they are still well worth the money. Plus it's a great way for dads to spend time with their kids while building them and finally launching them into orbit!

UPDATE: After reading several of the negative reviews (which have nothing to do with the product itself), I thought I'd better add that YOU WILL NEED TO BUY ENGINES AND IGNITERS for these rockets. Also, if you want them to look like the ones photographed, you will need paint as well. Even though the product description seems self explanatory online, I understand that some smartphones aren't picking up this product description. All that said, still well worth the money even with the extras (which you can also pick up on Amazon for a fraction of the store cost).
33 comments400 of 410 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2010
I bought this starter set for me and my two boys (Ages 7 & 4) to build together and launch. The Amazon was quite easy to build, with only some plastic cement, sandpaper, and a hobby knife needed - everything else is included. Some of the parts (threading the parachute and shock cord) are a little hard for small children to handle, but they can certainly participate in the gluing and applying the plastic cement and labels. I haven't tried the Crossfire yet, but I do know it will be a little more complicated.

The included launch system was what sold this for me, as without it I would have been unsure of exactly what else was needed to launch. I reviewed beforehand to make sure that I purchased separately the engines (with igniters) and recovery wadding, as these are not included in the launch set. These aren't expensive - but you definitely want to make sure that you have everything you need before building, as it's no fun to start a project with your kids that you can't finish. Mine tend lose interest fast that way.

Launching was easy with the instructions provided, and the boys (and Dad) had a blast. Even a hard landing in the parking lot didn't damage the Amazon. The boys (and Dad) are interested in building more (at least for now), so we'll try to get a little more adventurous with the next one.
33 comments103 of 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
It's just one of those great moments you remember: going out with your dad to set off your rocket for the first time. So cool when it takes off. Crossing your fingers that the parachute will deploy. Then running to see if it landed in one piece. My wife told me that she overhead my son describng our first launch to his friends as if we had set off an intercontinental missile.

Other items you'll need:
-A field! The instructions say "500 ft square". I think that's very poorly worded. It definitely DOES NOT mean 500 square feet and it doesn't mean 125' on each of 4 sides. They likely mean an area that is 500' x 500', or over 5 acres! You just need access to a very big area: the instructions say "football fields and playgrounds are great". Also, an area without other people, overhead trees, powerlines, etc. On a day without wind. The Estes and National Association of Rocketry websites have safety guidelines. I guess I've become the dad in bringing this all up. But finding open fields has become a bit harder where I live. Besides the safety concerns, if you set off your rocket in a small area, be prepared to be staring up at it lodged in branches.
-Model cement, carpenters glue, masking tape, fine sand paper, ruler, pencil, and a utility/X-acto knife.
-Engines and wadding: Amazon doesn't seem to always have these available in the sizes you need. The Estes site has a local retailer search.
-For painting second rocket, you can get spray white primer, white, glossy red, and a clear coat. You're going to be painting cardboard and plastic, so select accordingly.

Assembly: The nice thing about this kit is you can get out there with the bigger rocket pretty quickly. Personally, I'd assemble day 1 and head out for launch day 2. But you don't have to wait that long. My 9 year old hasn't assembled model cars and planes like I had when I was his age, but the rockets in this kit are pretty easy for parent & child to do together. The second rocket will need drying time between paint coats, so if there's that time when your child is moping aroud complaining he's bored, suggest you add a coat.

This kit is a great start. Keep in mind you'll probably have to spend another $20-30 on engines and supplies. The Estes website is great for resources.
22 comments94 of 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2007
If you are interested in model rocketry, this is definitely the right place to start. This kit includes everything you need to send you rocket to the heavens, such as a complete launch pad system with launch controller, and two different rockets. The only things you have to supply are plastic cement, white glue, and the engines, which you can purchase at most hobby shops or sometimes your local WalMart. The best part of this kit is the fact that the rockets are two different skill levels so you can determine exactly how involved you wish to get into the model rocketry hobby. The larger "Amazon" rocket is skill level E2X, which only requires glueing a few pieces together and slapping on the decals. The smaller Crossfire ISX is skill level 1, which requires a little bit work to put together and you have to paint it yourself. This set is perfect for both adults looking to get into the hobby and children/teens with the appropriate adult supervision.
0Comment50 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2013
You won't get the Porta-Pad II and Electron Beam controller as shown in the picture, you'll get the Astron II pad and controller, which, according to the Estes website, is the newest launch set in their line-up. Doesn't really matter one way or another, unless you're purchasing batteries specifically for this set prior to arrival. The Astron II controller uses a 9V battery instead of the 4AA batteries that the product description tells you that you need. Also, you don't really need "plastic model cement," I use Loctite Control Gel super glue and it works great.

I got this kit getting back into rockets after about a 25 year break. Didn't see the point in getting one rocket with a launch set when I could get two rockets for a couple of dollars more. I was really expecting to like the Crossfire more than the Amazon, because faster and higher is always better with rockets, right? Wrong.

I built the Amazon first, since I'm a crawl before you walk guy. Used the super glue for everything except the shock-cord-to-body-tube attachment. Used white glue for that. Total building/decorating time was about half an hour, checking the instructions constantly to see what I was supposed to be doing. This is my favorite of the two in the set. It's big, it's easy to follow as it accelerates, and it's easy to track on the way down. After the last launch, I decided that I need to cut a hole in the parachute to speed decent, because I have varying wind layers where I live. I recommend the C6-3 engines over the C6-5 just because I don't really like watching my rockets nose dive for several seconds before the recovery system deploys, shortly after apogee makes me much happier.

The Crossfire is a fun rocket. It goes high, fast, which is super cool. However, I've found that trying to go too high, too fast is a pain in the feet. I won't launch this rocket with anything more powerful than a B engine, because on every C launch it goes about 100' in the air and then careens to the side at about a 35 degree angle and I end up hiking forever to get to it. Which indicates to me that maybe C engines are too powerful for the stability level of the rocket. Every A engine and B engine launch has been straight as an arrow in the vertical realm, and I haven't gone more than about 50 feet to recover it.

As for the launch system, it's decent and does what it's supposed to do. I was hoping that the two-piece launch rod was a screw together contraption that I could take apart for transportation and storage. It's not. It's held together with a roll pin, so you hammer it together and it doesn't come apart with any sort of ease. Which wouldn't be so bad if the joint didn't leave an uneven surface for a launch lug to catch on. I replaced mine with a 1/8" x 36" music wire. When I get something that needs the "Maxi-Rod" I'll go to my nearest home center and get a 3/16" metal rod for 1/4 the price of the Estes Maxi-Rod and it won't have a lip on it.

Update 9/9/13:
So I'm thinking that I may have gotten a bum set of C6-5 engines the first time. I had purchased two 3-packs of them, seperately for the different rockets. After the second time of chasing down the Crossfire I stopped using the C6-5s, leaving me with a leftover. Went out to launch the Amazon and lose some mini rockets and used the leftover engine. The Amazon went about 50' up then careened off creating a long walk for me. Intrigued, I decided to launch the Crossfire on one again the next week. The Crossfire on a C6-5 is impressive, as long as it's a good engine. Flight was beautifully straight, nearly out of sight. Make sure there's no wind and it's fun on C engines, I still stick to B engines, though, as I find them more fun with the better chance of recovery.

As for the launch pad, apparently it's not designed for 3\16" rods. I got one and tried to install it to no avail. I ended up drilling out the rod holder about half way through. That way I can secure a bigger rod in the top part of the holder, and still have enough to hold the smaller rod.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2007
this product is awsome! the only downer is that it takes a while to put the little rocket together. the only supplies u need are scissors and super glue. i would definately buy this product again. (hint:check what engines your rocket uses, the big one usually uses a C6-5 and the small one a B or a C).
0Comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2009
This kits is excellent and at an excellent price. It comes with everything you need to launch minus batteries, engines and wadding. The thing i like the best about this kit is that the two rockets are from different skill ranges. The big one "amazon" is really simple and requires no painting or cutting. My 9 year old neice could of put this together just use a little glue and put on stickers. The smaller one "crossfire" is a skill level 1 kit. You will have to cut, sand, measure and paint but is more enjoyable since you actually have to make the rocket. This kit is great for kids getting interested in rockets cause in a few hours they can launch the big easy rocket and if they're up to it spend a day building the smaller one and then launch that one. Also great for dads who are going to build it with their son cause the son can build (and will want to cause its so big) the "amazon" and the dad can start to build the crossfire. Also the two rockets are very differnt the amazon will go about 600ft (depending on the engine used) while the crossfire will go 1200ft at lighting speeds. pros and cons on the differences are that the higher it goes the harder it is to track down after cause it can drift farther while decending and is hard to follow on its way up but is exciting. while the amazon will never leave your sight and doesn't drift that far due to its larger size and weight, just not quite as fast off the pad but still cool cause your launching a 3 ft rocket up. all and all if your looking to get a starter set you can miss with this, just remember they will need engines, wadding and AA batteries. happy flying
on December 3, 2010
I used to fly a lot of rockets back when I was a kid (I'm 52 now). I wanted something fun to do with the grandkids and their friends in the summer. They were only 5-8 and didn't know what was going to happen. Just that Gramps was saying "Stay Back!". I was an instant favorite fun old person after about the 3rd launch. First they went wow, then they figured out it wasn't fireworks and was a real toy you could keep using. Best of all they could push the button..:)

This set has it all except engines. It's rockets, launch pad, and controller which is a good start. I went to hobbylinc and ordered a big pack of 36 engines, wadding, and ignition wires cheap. Also a $15 hobby set of SuperGlue, X-Acto Knife, etc..

Advice for beginners: Start with "B" engines in the big one, "A" engines in the little one. They go high and even a little wind will take them a long way before they land. You won't impress anyone popping a "C" engine in one and having it land in a tree 6 blocks away. ***DON'T EVEN TRY TO LAUNCH ON A WINDY DAY*** If there is any wind at all tilt the rod SLIGHTLY into the wind so the rocket blows back at you when it's coming down. Pick a large school yard, field, etc. 20 acres at least. Bring a chaser, my daughter can jog 5 miles so she's a good rocket fetcher :) Most learn the hard way. Rockets in trees, or just out of sight and gone. Make your rockets last a long time. Do it safely with lots of room and none or very little wind. I'm here now to get a Big Bertha rocket to use the "C" engines in that came in the big hobbylinc pack. Amazon rocket prices are great!

Grandpa Joe
on December 29, 2012
The product was fine, it was given as a gift to a younger cousin. What I was most upset about is the description given on the item. It said everything was included. When the package arrived on the back of the box in small print said recovery wadding and jet engine packs not included. Two very important items to set off the rocket. I ended up having to or order those items seperatly.
66 comments38 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2013
My lowered rating does not reflect the rockets themselves, which are just fine. The low rating is because the set no longer comes with the black Porta Pad II launch pad pictured here. Instead, it comes with a flimsier, cheaper, substantially inferior launch pad (the orange Astron). Another reviewer also pointed this out. I've been informed that Estes no longer sells this set with that particular launch pad. I thought I was getting a killer deal originally (as opposed to buying the Porta Pad II launch pad and controller seperately). And that was the main reason I purchased this set. I'm just getting back into rocketry with my son after 15 years, and I needed a new Estes launch pad that was on par with what I had 15 years ago. The included Astron pad is not. And technically, you need a longerlaunch rod to launch the larger rocket (you can get a 1/8-inch 4-foot rod at Home Depot instead).

Anyway, the rockets themselves are decent starter rockets -- about what you would expect from Estes. And it would've been a great starter deal for someone in my position had the launch pad been correct. Instead, I returned it and decided to spend a little more on the Porta Pad II and launch controller separately, and buy different individual rockets separately.