Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on April 20, 2012
I bought a 2012 Diamondback Outlook mountain bike and after about 50 miles I felt the cranks creaking a little bit left to right when I would pedal. I assumed the bottom bracket wasn't quite tight. A friend with a crank puller and some good wrenches took the bottom bracket completely apart and put it all back together for me. Apparently he didn't tighten the lock ring very tightly and it eventually came loose and I began experience the creaking again. I realized this was the exact same issue I had had in the first place as I could hand loosen the lock ring. I bought the Park Tool HCW-5 and it fit the lock ring perfectly. I was able to tighten the lock ring sufficiently that it no longer creaks and it shouldn't come loose again while I'm riding. 5 stars for a decently priced product that does exactly what it is supposed to without tearing up the metal like a pair of pliers would.
review image review image
on October 23, 2008
takes up little space in a tool box, but makes bottom bracket overhaul a piece of cake (with BB tool, of course). Much more satisfying than bringing your bike(s) to a mechanic, and cheaper.

DIY or die!
on December 24, 2010
It did what it was supposed to do. It would have been nice to have some sort of design change made to the tool to make it less likely to slip off in either direction (while juggling the pin spanner on the other side), but it does have to be made with different bike designs in mind. It worked, not much more to say than that other than I used it on my 2008 Diamondback Lucky 24 successfully, along with a Park Tool SPA-4.

Update 09/01/2011
I used it again today on an old 1 piece crank on an late 80's Haro BMX. It worked great, the nut that held the chain wheel tight against the rest on the crank and kept the pin in the hole fit perfectly, and much easier than the newer style Diamondback I mentioned. All in all if I said it was good for unsealed American bottom brackets I might be selling some other options short, but I certainly would be dead on with three things I worked with.

Update 11/21/2011

I found this thing works well on the lock ring for a two-piece driver also. Redline Device Rear Cassette Hub 2006+ 48H 14mm Black I used the "single tooth" side on this and guessed at 30Ft lbs (I'm pretty good as a human torque wrench). Worked great.
on October 23, 2012
just what I needed for removing the lock ring off an early 80's bottom bracket. it's a shame i'll need it so rarely.
on March 9, 2009
This is a must have tool also.When its time to repack your crank gears
you will need this great little tool.I had to take a little file to clean it up a bit and it works a lot better for me.It great when you need it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 20, 2015
If you have either an older model bike or one that uses one of the cheaper three piece crankset/bottom bracket combinations, it is likely that this tool will come in handy. I need this lock ring spanner/cup wrench for my wife's beach cruiser and for my small son's mountain bike. It allows you to correctly grab the adjustable cup and hold it in place in conjunction with the bottom bracket lockring until all play is removed and the bottom bracket sits perfectly tight with no friction or looseness. (Although on some models is vice versa, the HCW-5 grabs the lock ring instead while a spanner grabs the adjustable cup)

There are other ways to set the adjustable cup, but none of them work near as well as simply having the right tool for the job; in this case, the HCW-5. This tool is made in America I believe from heat treated steel that is about HRC 61 with 0.75% carbon content and is laser cut. Not only does this tool fit precisely but it allows for more torque to be placed on the cup or lock ring. For me, this all adds up to five stars and an essential wrench for any intermediate to advanced home bike mechanic.
on July 31, 2013
The tool is exactly what my son needed to complete his tear-down of his bicycle for refurbishing and it worked perfectly.
Park Tool HCW-5

I used this lock ring spanner on the bottom bracket of my 22.5" road bike. I found that the 3-prong side doesn't stay flat when I was tightening the ring. It was easy to have the last tooth come out of place. I found that the single hook side was easier to use to tighten the lock ring because there wasn't as big of a chance of slipping one of the teeth. The 3-prong side is more suited for loosening the lock nut, or if you're careful, can be used to tighten the ring. The quality of the tool was exceptional.

Overall: 5/5 stars, just be careful that one of the teeth doesn't slip out of place when tightening the lock ring.
on June 19, 2012
Purchased this to work on older Shimano cup and cone bottom brackets (bb-6400) with externally notched lock-rings. The 3-prong side of this wrench is slightly over-sized and didn't feel like it would give the grip needed to break the lock-ring free so I didn't try. The single prong side feels much more secure and I was able to remove and tighten the lock-ring without slippage.

My past experiences with other Park Tools have been much better. Although this gets the job done, it only gets 3-stars because I expect more from Park.
on August 27, 2015
Great quality. Well thought out. I feel like Park tools cost just a little more than I want to pay, which they say is the typical feeling of an equitable deal. So 5 stars. I literally used this tool once to upgrade the bottom bracket on an old bike; and it just now occurred to me that I may never get a chance to use it again. Maybe I will donate it to the local bike collective if I don't use it for a long time.