Electric Alarm Clock with Selectable Display Color
Price:$15.78 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 30, 2007
Verified Purchase
This is a plug in clock with a battery backup (which is not entirely clear from the description). It is very small (definitely fits in the palm of your hand) but has a very clear LCD. I like that you can customize the color for the display but I found the basic blue shown in the picture works the best. It is perfect as a second clock for the other side of the bed--presuming there are two people.
on March 13, 2008
Verified Purchase
The clock is 3 1/4 x 3 1/2 x 2 inches, not the size listed in the description. The display is very bright. Good if you want a clock that is also a night light, bad if you like a dark room to sleep in. If you turn off the multi-colored back light, you can not see the display at all. The controls are easy to figure out. The buttons are under a cover. With the cover closed, when you push the top, only the snooze button gets pushed, since it is right up against the cover. A good idea so you don't accidentally press something else while fumbling for the snooze button.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2008
I purchased this alarm a while ago and I think it's great. it's small enough to fit in your hand, and has seven different color options for the main screen: red, blue, green, yellow(kind of a darker golden yellow with light yellow numbers), purple, teal, and black with white numbers. this alarm has one volume and my only complaint is that after about two minutes of beeping, it automatically goes into snooze and will go off again in five minutes. This does have the option of using a battery( one AAA)so if the power goes out, or it's unplugged, it won't have to be reset. I keep this alarm close to my bed but I don't like light shining in my face while I'm trying to sleep so I like that the alarm has the option of turning its light from the main screen off. Overall a very decent alarm. I recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon August 4, 2009
Verified Purchase
This is just the ticket for me. I don't care for clock radios. Life is too short to wake up to a top 40 station played through a two inch speaker every morning. Give me a simple alarm clock.

This tiny Elgin is just the thing. It takes little room on the nightstand. The controls are covered by a plastic lid that presses on the snooze button when pushed. That makes it impossible to accidently change the time while you're half asleep. It also means that almost the entire top of the clock is the snooze buton. Yes, the lid is flimsy, but it's only vulnerable to damage while it's open, so it should be fine.

This is a handsome little clock. What doesn't show well in the photos is that the display is sunk deep down into the face of the clock. This makes a nice 3-D effect and produces a nice glow around the bezel. The silver finish looks good next to my nickel bedside lamp.

I dismissed the selectable color display as a novelty. I did have fun playing with it for 5 minutes then lost interest just as I thought I would. You can individually turn on the red, green and blue backlights to make 8 different colors including white and black (off). I discovered that I do enjoy changing the color occasionally, just for variety. My sleep partner is sensitive to specular light at night, so being able to turn the display off has come in handy too.

Two gripes: There is one master slide switch for setting the time, setting the alarm time, setting the date and turning the alarm on and off. With so many positions on one stiff slide switch, it's easy to miss the position you want. My other gripe is that if you hit snooze more than a couple times, the clock will give up on you and let you sleep. If you're a frequent snoozer, beware!

Still, rarely do I get something I like so well this cheap.
I like:
- the alarm. it goes beep, beep beep. not the annoying long shrill beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
-the size. very small, fits anywhere. When I took it out of the box I thought it would make a good travel alarm (with the AAA battery)
-display. I put the display at no colors so its blank. By the way the color shown is a sticker. The numbers are actually deeper in.

The color thing isn't too interesting after a few days. The colors are red, green, blue, yellow (red + green), blue green, purple (red + blue), bluish white (red + green + blue). The darkest color option is red.

Not so good stuff:
-There is a lid covering the buttons. I'm not having problems with it yet,but I'm pretty sure its gonna come off one day. Add its loose so it makes a little jangling sound
-The slider mode button is hard to slide
-The buttons not so easy to press, speeds up as you hold it down,so I have to stop about ten numbers ahead to slow down and press it one by one.

Its a nice alarm clock. nothing too special.
on September 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
Being a day sleeper, I really needed a clock that would display military time because I sometimes wake up disoriented, wondering if it is 2am or 2pm! Anyway, this seemed like a good buy, even though it isnt a clock radio, but I wasnt as concerned about the alarm as I was about the 24hr clock.

I absolutely LOVE all the different colors. I am *very* sensitive to extra light in the room - even the light from my Wii remote charger in the living room can bother my sleep in the bedroom - so I was concerned about the brightness of this clock as other reviewers stated it was very bright. Thankfully, it not only isnt too bright, but all the extra color choices helped me to figure out which one was the least bright, but still readable.

Also, I could read the time from any angle - which is great because my bed is lower than my nightstand.

It is small as some have said, but I have a small nightstand and my clock has to share it with a lamp, a sound machine, remotes for fans, etc; so I am grateful it is small.

Keep in mind, as with other clocks that have a battery back-up -- the battery (1 AAA) doesnt keep the clock on & lit up when unplugged so much as it simply saves the time on the clock so it doesnt revert back to a blinking 12:00.

The lid on the top seemed odd at first, but it isnt cumbersome, nor does it hinder my being able to use the clock.

Setting the time/date/alarm is a little frustrating for me -- the sliding button that allows you to set the time/date/alarm is very small for my large fingers, so that was tricky. Also, the buttons for actually changing the time/date/alarm are a little slow to respond. I could hold them down to go fast, but once I got close and wanted to move hour/min/day by hour/min/day, the buttons dont respond very quickly so I sometimes hit the buttons 3-4 times to move one hour/min/day. Weird.

The alarm seemed to escalate in sound - and it definitely escalated in number of beeps - every 5-10 seconds it would start to beep faster and faster. It didnt seem extremely loud, but then again, I am a light sleeper, so any sound at all would be enough to wake me.

All-in-all, I love this little clock and am so glad to have found something with military time that I actually like and can use! I added some pics to help others see what they're buying - hope they help.
review image review image review image review image
on November 4, 2008
Verified Purchase
The clock is nice and small, with a surprisingly readable display for its size. The fun gimmick is that you can change the color of the display. One neat but not particularly useful feature is that it shows you the calendar date with day of week along with the time. I also like that the button cover, when pressed, is one big snooze bar. And the setting of the time/alarm is nice and fast, scrolling through numbers quickly.

Two problems I have: to open the button cover, you need to use two hands, because the cover is too firmly attached and the clock doesn't weigh enough. So, you can reach over with one hand and smack the cover to snooze, but to actually push the switch to turn off the alarm, you have to use two hands. Second problem is that it's not quite loud enough. I like that the alarm starts quiet and gets louder, but if I'm really dead asleep and underslept, it never gets quite loud enough to wake me. Good enough for most days, but scary on those days when I went to sleep way too late and really need to be up in the morning.
on July 13, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought this clock last year. Initially i loved it. You can change the displace background color and the numbers are large and easy to read. Im giving it a one star because the time is always wrong. What good is a clock if the time is never accurate? I check the time on this alarm clock against my phone and computer every week. The alarms clock is always 4 to 5 mins faster.
VINE VOICEon March 4, 2009
Verified Purchase
The clock is smaller than Amazon says, true. It fits in the open palm, yes. Another reviewer measured and listed measurement. I think it's a nice size for a night table. Unobtrusive. The clock plugs in and has battery backup. The display is clear and not too bright. I almost didn't buy it because one reviewer said it was too bright. I didn't find that to be the case for me.

The good thing is you can change the display to suit your brightness or color needs. Some displays, depending on the contrasting colors you select, might appear brighter. I'd never seen a clock that allowed you to choose from a range of display color. Nice.

I found this to be a discreet, functional little clock.
on August 13, 2009
Verified Purchase
Things I wish I had known about this product before purchase:

- VERY BRIGHT!! It is so bright that I have to cover it at night! Would be great in a baby's room as a night light/clock

- NOT FOR SNOOZERS!! The alarm will allow you to snooze 2 times and then it is just re-set for the next day. I have to be extra cautious and get up right away so I don't keep sleeping!!

If these two things don't affect you, then it's an otherwise nice little clock. It's super small, the numbers can change to several different colors. I experimented and purple seems the least bright. Not bad for the price!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations