Vornado 783 Full-Size Whole Room Air Circulator, Adjustable Height
Price:$121.15 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I have an assortment of Vornado fans throughout my home. Why? Because they are the quietest high performance fans available and the quality can't be beat. Their special fan blade design is far and away more efficient and quieter than any competitor. This 7 series (largest size) has the extra two foot section option in the box to lift the fan up to about 48" off the floor. Vornado calls these air circulators and not fans. That is because of the tornado effect of spinning the air in a column to an opposite wall where upon the air stream rebounds off the wall and circulates around the room back to start over again. It really does work well. Instead of having the wind blowing in your face and ears, all the air in the room is actively circulating providing a cooling and freshening feeling. The new model has a three speed switch on the rear of the motor as opposed to the past variable speed control mounted on the base. This three speed switch is quicker to use but not as good as variable speed. All Vornados carry a lifetime warantee which is as good as it gets.

UPDATE June 2011: My sentiments about this fan have changed. The 783 is top heavy and very easily falls over crashing to the ground. This is a major flaw in the fan design. Just grazing or slightly bumping the fan causes it to fall over and damage the plastic housing. Also, the 3 speed control has proved to be unacceptable. It is the 3 WRONG speeds. The fan become noisy when you put it to medium and very noisy at high speed. You have no other choice as you would with a variable speed. For $130. Vornado should provide a good variable speed control. No excuses! I can give this fan no more than 3 stars now and that is being generous. Vornado had better wake up and start delivering a well designed fan and not a bean counter cut down product.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2009
[Ordered from Amazon under in-law's account] 4 stars, not 5, even if the 783B does give 5-star results in the end. Out of the box a newbie to the Vornado product line will see a brochure with many details about use and cleaning (thank you, Vornado for designing a fan that that makes this chore ridiculously easy) -- but not a word on assembly or adjusting height. True, assembly just means joining three pipe sections with two screws. But some people might find this confusing. If you keep looking around, though, you'll find instructions and pics on the box lids -- easy to overlook the first time around. There's no height "adjustment": leaving out the center section makes the stand shorter, so there's really just a 2-position choice. The maximum is 42" only when the fan itself is tilted upward. Aimed straight ahead, it reaches 37.5" at best. People accustomed to cheap fans over 5 feet high might have to adjust to this. 4 stars, also, for an oddly mounted power switch that required a bit of sculpting with an Xacto knife to make the pointer move in and out of the OFF position (poor smoothing of the edges on the molded plastic knob). Another thing some buyers won't be used to is the way Vortex fans work. Most fans have cheaper blade and front screen construction that simply scatters air all over. This sounds OK, but in use it's very inefficient, and a cheap way to make cheap fans with cheap motors. Typically a Vornado uses a more refined blade construction for better balance (costs more) and a front screen that gathers and focuses air straight ahead instead of everywhere. It moves only slightly more air than other fans, but the stream is much stronger. Aim the airstream at a ceiling or opposite wall, and the multi-directional ricochet is really effective; no matter where you stand, you'll feel cooler. Another advantage is that cool or warm air is effectively spread to other locations -- I'm using one a.c. and a Vornado to cool several rooms, leaving two other a.c.'s inactive most of the time. My older Vornado was equally adept at spreading heat, as well. I no longer need our old portable heater. Also, I fault it by one star because Vornado is no longer American-made, yet prices are the same (shame on them!). The results and the 5-year warranty are worth the price, especially since I'm saving energy and a ton of $$$ in a.c. and heating costs, and especially because the Vornado really does its job. As for noise: on low you can barely hear it. On high it's about average -- just remember that if you expect a machine to move lots of air, whether in a room or house or inside a computer or multimedia center, Mother Nature requires some sort of mechanical activity that makes noise. Even on high, it's a lower noise level than with typical air conditioners or cheapo fans. I've heard far worse, from products that didn't work nearly as well.
on December 31, 2008
First off, this Vornado is the same size and essentially the same as the 733B or 723B. The difference is how high off the ground it sits. One additional benefit this one has over 733B is that there are slightly more angles you can point at but this is minor given how you use this air circulator. Of the 3, this one has the longest "pole" so it can be more at chest/head level rather than on the ground.

This Vornado is a large size fan (air circulator as Vornado likes to call it). The best way to use this is to draw cool air in or out of the room by creating a vacuum near a window or door.

Also, it evenly cools the room by keeping a small breeze which makes it immediately feel a few degrees lower than still air.

This can be run near air conditioners or heaters to more evenly distribute the hot/cold air so people don't need to sit right by the heater or AC to feel the effects.

If you'll notice, this fan does not have a pole stand nor does it swivel. As such, it is not meant to point directly at people. It's purpose to point in the general direction for cooling or as an air circulator.

Pros:
- Moves a lot of air
- Very durable
- Quiet for size/amount of air movement
- Pleasing to look at

Cons:
- No timer
- Does not auto-rotate

Overall:
- After using this for several months including summer and winter, I am highly pleased with it and would highly recommend it to everyone. For the amount of air it moves, it is very quiet and does the job well.
on April 14, 2010
I now own 5 Vornado fans and would never own another fan. Although I like my window fans (see my fan amazon review), Vornados beat them by miles.

I point the tall fans (this one) towards my open skylight at night and the COOL BREEZE flies around the entire room.

I place the shorter Vornado® 723B Premium Series Circulatory fan on the floor where cool air pools (heat rises) to blow that around as well.

Between the two fans, my open floor plan home is kept cool.

Go to linens and things and use promo code relief15 for 15% off. Their S/H is .99 no matter what you buy and with that 15% off I save big time.

Warning: If you have big dogs or active children consider the shorter stemmed fans and at all times keep them where they won't be bumped. They are stable but CAN be tipped over and mine tipped twice - BOTH TIMES when I grabbed the fan to steady it, the head separated from the body. In one instance the stand tipped over completely and the other, I managed to keep it from tipping over. My bad on the head falling off. I was supposed to put this plastic loop on the post which is supposed to prevent it. Do NOT do what I did. Don't know if this will prevent tips or not as I now keep the WONDERFULLY COOL fans in the corners now to minimize people/dogs bumping them. The breeze hits all over the room so it doesn't really matter where I keep them.

The 2nd time, it tipped and I grabbed the rim, the face plate came off. The handle is actually on the round top half (see the large rim) - that is the handle. It was freaky to hold the head and watch the blades spin that close to my hands until I could unplug it. The on/off switch is opposite the face plate but I did not want to move my arm while holding it. I did try to put the head pipe into the stand pipe but stopped as those blades were dangerous. Better to reach out with my other hand and unplug it.
on August 6, 2007
This fan is not as versitle nor quiet as the variable speed version it replaced. It seems to be made 'cheaper' and the lowest speed is not very quiet. We used to run the old version at the lowest speed for just 'gentle' air circlulation. You can't run this one in that mode. Very dissappointed.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2013
I've been buying 783 fans since the mid 90's. The first ones had the variable speed switch. At the lowest setting the fan was whisper quiet, yet easily moved enough air to be effective. I usually ran the fans at the lowest setting.

The first 3-speed switch was less convenient, but had the saving grace that the low-speed setting had the whisper-quiet yet effective attribute.

But the latest one has a new (cheap-ass) 3-speed switch mounted at the rear. The low-speed setting is MUCH too fast. In my work I'm on the phone several hours a day, and I can't use the new fan because of the noise.

But now I can: I bought a variable transformer with a dial that adjusts the output voltage way down (or up to 110% of the input voltage).

Now the fan is as it was back in the early 90's --- whisper quiet, effective. The only trouble is that now I had to spend $70 bucks on an 8-pound transformer.

I sure wish Vornado would put a decent switch in their fans as the once did. The new 3-speed switch utterly destroys the best attribute of the fan: quiet yet effective operation.

(It looks like a nifty market niche has opened up!)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
You can save 30-50 dollars for a standing fan but you'll lose the power, precision, low noise output, and high quality of the Vornado. I've tried shop fans (way too loud), tower fans (not enough power) and other inferior products, but considering how much I need to use fans, it's not worth penny-pinching. I currently own 4 Vornados and I wish my college would have bought me a Vornado for my office instead of the cheap tower fan, which is way underpowered.
on July 19, 2010
Haven't shut it off since it arrived. My house has never felt like this before. It's much cooler than just using the window AC too. My window AC shuts off more often, saving money, I'm sure.

It's amazing how much circulation is involved. I have it setup so the fan doesn't blow directly on me and I don't feel a breeze, but I feel air moving around me, which is refreshing and cooling.

I only wish I had heard of Vornado sooner. I'm also going to order one for my bedroom and for my office. They are amazing!! Of course, as usual, dealing with Amazon.com was a great experience with super fast delivery too.
on May 30, 2012
My second Soleus figure-eight stand fan was losing air output and the oscillation was getting sloppy, so I decided a replacement was needed before the summer.

I went to a local appliance store that had a number of fans on display, and this standing Vornado handily blew the doors off all of the others, including the larger Vornado tower fan.

Last night I pointed the fan toward my bed eight feet away and discovered that the medium speed moved more air than the high speed on the Soleus. I actually wound up using a blanket!

During the day, I turn the fan up to set up a diagonal air flow around the room using the high speed. Nice -- and it doesn't blow my papers around at my desk...

The motor is quiet at all three speeds -- I hear the sound of air flow more than motor noise.

Finally, I haven't found the fan tippy on its stand, as some other reviewers have suggested. I can't account for this discrepancy, unless Vornado has adjusted the design of the stand since the earlier reviews.

This isn't the cheapest fan around, but it seems to be well-built, and my other Vornadoes have lasted many years. This fan also moves FAR more air than those dopey overpriced Dysons.

ADDENDUM: I have deducted one star because after two weeks of use, I started hearing a slight "chuffing" noise coming from the grill when the fan is on low speed and pointed at my bed. I believe I have solved this problem by removing the grill and putting three hunks of packing foam around the circumference of the fan housing where it contacts the grill, but I don't think I should be doing Vornado's engineering for them. Overall, however, it's a great fan despite this minor shortcoming.

PROS:

* Attractive design.
* Incredibly powerful air stream.
* Very quiet in operation (with modification mentioned above).

CONS:

* Made subtle but annoying vibration sound at low speed when pointed at a certain angle; problem solved by stuffing three wads of packing foam behind grill to damp vibration.
* Not the cheapest fan around, but a bargain compared to the ineffective Dysons, and Vornadoes usually give years of service.
on August 30, 2013
I didn't understand the manufacturer's descriptions of how this fan circulates air around a room. After using it just one week, however, I'm completely sold on this product. My wife and I have used this fan in our living room (a very large room) and in our bedroom, and found that it moved large volumes of air very gently. We've been able to reduce our AC usage somewhat by using this fan instead of our ceiling fans (summers in Jacksonville, FL get pretty warm).

The only thing that I didn't like much about this product was the base. I don't mind the curved tubing, but they give you 4 rubber O-rings that you slide around the base tube. If you're not careful, you'll cause the rings to move around and slide off the end.O-rings just aren't meant for this kind of application, and the O-rings on my unit are already beginning to wear through. I think the manufacturer could have done a better job of installing rubber feet on this device.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations