Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Speedo Silicone Long Hair Cap
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 11, 2008
I have mid-back-length hair that is very thick, and most swim caps just pop off my head. This one actually covers my entire head, forehead to nape (including ears) and has plenty of room for my hair.

It stayed on during my whole workout in the pool, and it's easy to put on and take off. Since there's no elastic band (like lycra caps have), it didn't leave a red line on my forehead. Basically, it's everything I'd want in a swim cap.

Some reviewers are interested in whether it keeps your hair dry, and the answer is that it mostly keeps water off your hair (I use a swim cap to avoid chlorine damage) but I wouldn't trust anything short of a magical force field to keep hair totally dry.
77 comments|304 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2007
I have long hair down to my waist and this cap fits me great. I ordered two other speedo caps that don't fit any of us here - long hair or no, and they seem too small so I'm wondering if they are defects. This one fits perfect, keeps my hair dry, and I have very long hair. If chlorine ruins your hair, get this.
0Comment|162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2013
I have been swimming for 20 years and this was my first silicone cap. Previously I have always used latex because they stretch easier. I have hair down to my mid-back which fits easily inside a latex cap but will not fit in a regular silicone cap so I bought the silicone cap with extra room. This cap did fit all my hair though I swim around three times a week and have used this cap less than 10 times. Today when I put it on before my swim, a huge section broke off. I take good care of my caps, including rinsing them and drying them after a workout. I will be returning this cap but I am very hesitant to buy a new one. Back to latex I go.

FYI, for the people who are giving this cap negative reviews because it does not keep their hair dry, that is not the point of a swim cap. I use one so my hair stays out of my face/goggles and is less tangled after a swim. Hair will get wet in any type of swim cap but if you rinse your hair before you swim it will not soak up as much chlorine since it is already saturated.
on December 19, 2010
I have very long and thick dreadlocks and could never find a swimcap that fits; this one is perfect. Covers all of my hair, isn't tight or uncomfortable and keeps the water out
77 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2007
It's been years since I wore a swim cap, but I'm pleased with this one. The edges of my hair get wet, but not the bulk of it, which I put up in a ponytail and then cover with the cap. Doesn't pull my hair.
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2012
I like to incorporate a 30 minute swim in my exercise routine daily and was looking for a cap to keep my hair dry. I normally wash my hair every 2 days, so washing my hair everyday was frustrating, not to mention the chlorine was ruining my hair and making it feel kind of nasty. I originally bought the normal speedo cap (unisex) at Modell's. It was way too tight on my head. I do not have a large head, but I do have very thick hair. My hair did not fit into the normal cap. After researching, a few people recommended the long hair version of the same swim cap, so I bought it.

This cap does a great job! It fits just perfect on my head, not to tight, not too loose. I am able to tie my hair into a bun and slip this over my head with no problems. On the top of the cap is extra material to fit your hair. Make sure to follow the directions on the box (curcling your fingers inward to avoid ripping the cap) and it should last you awhile.

But does it work for keeping your hair dry?

In short, yes, if you use it correctly.

I've tested different ways of swimming with this cap. The first time, I did my normal routine of backstrokes, breaststrokes and the like. My head was never totally submerged in the water other than my face as I swam. With this cap, the only part of my hair that did get wet was the fringe in the back of my head and perhaps the small strands of hair that surround my face. The rest of it stayed completely dry.

I also tried diving and swimming more underwater. The cap, unfortunately, failed to keep my hair totally dry this way. When I got out of the pool, my hair was mostly wet, sparing the top of it.

If you are searching for a cap that keeps your hair 100% dry during a swim, it doesn't exist. This speedo cap however does a pretty great job of keeping it relatively dry. Swimming caps aren't made to keep your hair dry. They are made to eliminate drag in competitive swimming. However, I think that as long as you refrain from submerging your head in the water, your hair will stay dry. I highly recommend this swimming cap!
on March 26, 2010
This item split right in half after only 2 weeks of use, using it every day for about 2 hours each day. And yes, directions were read as to how to 'properly' put it on.......

Definitely NOT an item I'd recommend.
on June 20, 2011
I was really surprised by this head cap. I wear my hair in locks and was really skeptical about whether this would be able to accommodate my hair especially when they are up. I stayed about 2 hours in the ocean and at least 90% of my hair was dry. It started slipping off in the front and my hair line got wet but that was it. I will order another one as back up.
on May 8, 2012
I have very thick long hair and as I placed the cap over my head (1st time out of the package) the cap ripped!
Material looks great, feels nice, but failed terribly - waste of money!
on June 21, 2011
My long, thick hair fits easily under this cap, and the cap stays in place nicely. One complaint: my hair gets wet around the hairline. If you're trying to keep your hair bone-dry, this cap won't do it.