Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Architectural Unit Block Set
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 30, 2011
These blocks, made of rubber wood, are great fun as long as the scale of the structures is kept small. In combination with heavier quality maple blocks (Barclay wood blocks), I find that the lack of precision in the machining of the M&D blocks leads to a bit of instability, e.g. 4 architectural columns placed together does not form a solid even surface for something to be placed on top. Whereas 4 maple cylindrical blocks on the exact same surface provided a solid even surface for taller structures. Anyways, the M&D blocks are still fun, an inexpensive option, and a clever kid can probably work around the limitations.
on January 24, 2009
I purchased these for my 2 and 6 year old boys. They enjoy them. What a great value and what great quality. I purchased it along with the Melissa and Doug Standard block set (64 pieces I believe, and natural wood also). If you are looking for a nice block set I would purchase both. I'm glad we did. One set would have been good, but the two sets together are better. There are more options, especially with this set. The different blocks, such as the pillars, provide extra character over some of the other sets I've considered. The blocks are a good size too. I've seen some pricier sets that have blocks that are half the size. The corners/edges of the blocks are sanded down also, so they don't have rough edges. These are the type of blocks that you would find in a classroom setting. Click "BUY" now!
on January 7, 2008
The old fashion building blocks were a hit from Santa. After the remote controled toys and WI were tried... the children went back to the blocks...creating villages and buildings for their cars and trains. Grandma also added minature pine trees and cardboard roofs...This gift will outlast the batteries and TV games. Good choice! We could have used even a larger set.
on December 26, 2013
Your money is better spent on the "Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks" or even another set of it. We have the standard unit blocks and they are awesome, the kids play with them for everything - making forts, jails, castles, towers, roads for hotwheels, etc. I thought this architectural set would be a great addition and looked similar to our set. I was disappointed to see the same size box was 50% filled with styrofoam filling and there are so many fewer blocks. The blocks are also not much fancier than the standard blocks except for a few grooves or slightly different shapes. The steps are the best feature. I would have been better off buying more standard blocks. Both sets have tunnels, but the architectural ones are smaller and skinnier. Both have ramps, but the architectural ones again are longer and skinnier.
on January 20, 2007
These are very sturdy, well-constructed wooden blocks. My daughter loves to build with blocks, but she was limited with her small set of plain blocks. This set has let her build many different structures using the unique shape blocks including columns, arched doors and steps. We are probably going to buy another set so she can build bigger buildings.
on March 20, 2009
The grandparents purchased this set of blocks for my two girls (1 & 3) and it has been a phenomenal hit. At first I recommended against the purchase -- it was expensive and we already have a glut of toys. I figured these blocks would just collect dust. Was I wrong.

My older daughter loves constructing with these blocks and plays with them almost every day. "Block time" has become a ritual every evening before bed. What I enjoy is watching her incorporate so many of her other toys into her structures -- little princess toys, my old Star Wars action figures, elements of her dollhouse. And they are super durable -- our youngest throws them around and there aren't any dings or, worse, splintering.

There are a few pics of nice finished projects on the case label that are real easy to duplicate and even easier to riff on. I'm often surprised to see intriguing, multifaceted designs emerge rather than a mere single tower that topples.

There are enough pieces to make this set worthy as a stand-alone but I might even purchase another and get monumental.
on January 19, 2008
These are beautifully made blocks, well finished without rough edges or other problems. And blocks are one of the best toys out there for small (and not-so-small) children to build creativity, spatial reasoning, and the beginnings of mathematical thinking. The price on these is extremely fair for the quality, and much better than many I've found. A five-star product from a five-star toy producer.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 5, 2012
I bought this set for my three-year-old grandson. He loves this set and enjoys building towers with this. This is a set that should last him a while. There is no paint that can chip off, nor are there any rough or uneven edges, but I noticed that almost every piece of wood has a chip in it, as if this set was made from scrap lumber with prior cuts in it. This obviously does not take away from the fun or educational level, however, some of the chips are quite obvious and adds a certain cheapness to what should otherwise be a great product.
on November 26, 2008
This is an excellent addition to a basic wooden block set. Our daughter has loved playing with wooden blocks since she was 3 years old (she is now 4 1/2). We added these architectural blocks to her basic set and they have allowed her creativity to expand. The blocks are smooth, sturdy and durable. They have done a great job in holding up to the demands of a preschooler and we would definitely recommend them.
on January 10, 2016
I bought the original Melissa and Doug 60 piece wood block set for my at the time brand new 4 year old daughter, and she was obsessed with them. My daughter loved them so much I bought her a second set of the same Melissa and Doug 60 piece wood blocks and also this set, the Melissa & Doug architectural blocks for a Christmas gift and Birthday gift (now she is five) The first set was more than enough to make great castles and small imaginative cities. Now with the 2nd set of the 60 piece wooden blocks and the Melissa & doug Architectural set, she can really go nuts with her imagination. The blocks are sanded and have no chance of splintering. They are all uniformed size and stack solid and sturdy. The wood is all natural so if your child wants to explore sticking them in his or her mouth there really isn't any worry. Our entire family very much loves these blocks for my daughter and would recommend to anyone who has a creative, imaginative kiddo who loves to build. I could see these blocks holding my daughter's attention for many years. Hey even my 34 year old husband likes to do some independent building from time to time.