Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Wooden Alphabet Magnets
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Style Name: Wooden Alphabet Magnets|Change

on March 26, 2003
This is one of the greatest toys I've ever seen. The letters are made of wood and the front is painted with a smooth, bright, shiny enamel. The best part is that the entire back of the letter is magnetic, not just a little piece like those cheap plastic magnetic letters. These will not fall off and they are plenty strong enough to hold artwork up on the fridge. The come in a durable wooden box with a clear plastic top that slides on and off. They are much bigger than the plastic alphabet magnets so they are easier for little kids to handle without choking. There are both upper and lowercase so there are plenty of letters to make words. My daughter loves playing with them on the fridge and dishwasher. We even gave a set to her 1 year old cousin as a birthday present. I would recommend them to anyone. Believe me, they are well worth the price and your kids will be able to hand them down to their children.
44 comments|271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2008
I like this set because you get numbers and letters for a reasonable price considering the quality which is quite good...I would definitely choose these sets over the cheap plastic ones because the backs are a complete magnet which makes them hold on without drifting down...The colors are satisfactory, except the blue on the numbers is more like a purple...You may want to refrain from giving these to a child who is still put things in their mouth because the paper fronts will dissolve and come off...

Color notes...
The letter coloring scheme is simply an alternation of red, yellow, blue, and green.
The numbers coloring scheme seems like green/yellow are odds & red/blue are evens:
0 = 2(red) 1(blue)
1 = 2(red) 3(blue) 3(green) 3(yellow)
2 = 2(red) 1(blue)
3 = 1(green) 1(yellow)
4 = 1(red) 1(blue)
5 = 1(green) 1(yellow)
6 = 1(red) 1(blue)
7 = 1(green) 1(yellow)
8 = 1(red) 1(blue)
9 = 1(green) 1(yellow)
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2012
I bought this set for my son as he likes to play with our current magnets. However, he put one in his mouth for about three seconds and it started to fall apart. These magnets are supposed to be wood- but it's more like a very thin balsa wood with a thick painted paper glued on top. Not what I was expecting.

On top of that, this set has a lead warning on HealthyStuff.org. It contains medium levels of lead - much higher than what is safe or even acceptable for toys.

I used to really like Melissa and Doug toys when they were actually hand made in the USA. Now everything is made in China and apparently they are not keeping on top of their lead (and other toxins) levels in their toys. I won't be buying any more Melissa and Doug items.

I'll be tossing this. I don't even feel comfortable sending it to Goodwill.
on August 20, 2013
I discounted the lead warning from a previous commenter and bought these any way, I wish I hadn't. Went through the rounds, my son had elevated lead levels that were traced back to these letters. I'm not sure who M&D are paying off to get their product on the shelves with poison in it, but they need to be slapped upside the head repeatedly. DO NOT BUY THESE LETTERS! Even low levels of lead if exposed chronically can lead to a 7-8 IQ point deficiency, and other developmental delays. Do your research parents, it's NOT worth the risk.
22 comments|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2013
We have a set of Melissa and Doug upper case and lower case letters bought in December 2011. I bought this set to use as part of the decoration in my son's room. The new letter set reeks of cost-cutting at the expense of quality.

- Letters are thinner.
- Cheaper laminates were used, or at least ones with larger air pockets when viewed from the side.
- Edges of many letters were damaged when press-cut out.
- Some letters look a bit funky because they changed the shape for cheaper manufacturing. (Ex. Larger internal curves.)
- Color shades are different.

Basically most letters are damaged on the edges and the ones that aren't still look cheap. Funny thing is that the numbers in the set I received are the same quality and color of the old letters that I have!

Sorry, at this time, Amazon does not allow me to add customer images to show the differences.
on January 20, 2004
Like a lot of people, I grew up with those plastic alphabet letters on my fridge. So when my son was around 2 years old, I figured it was about time to get a set for our home. We were fortunate enough to get this set as a gift. I was truly impressed! This set is by far superior to any others I've seen on the market. They're large and colorful, and the entire back of the letter is a magnet. Not just one little square. They really stay put on the fridge! I also like that they're wood. Sure, bite marks would probably show up more on the wood than on plastic. But overall, I think the wood is far more sturdy and durable. All the letters come in a nice wood box with a sliding clear lid, making it easy to keep everything together. You really couldn't ask for more!
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2009
I thought these were SO COOL, then I had them tested at a local free lead testing for kids toys and they came back POSITIVE. Further research at Healthytoys dot org showed that the magnets contain a MEDIUM level of LEAD!!!. If you child is extra careful not to touch the magnet parts then I guess these are fine, but if your child is like mine and likes to touch the entire thing and then put his fingers in his mouth, these are too dangerous.

Healthytoys dot org lists lots of toys as both safe and unsafe, according to brand. It's good to be careful these days.
3030 comments|658 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
My kids play with these letters on the fridge and dishwasher almost every day. Since the five year old is learning to read, he will routinely make words out of them, which I think is actually helping the two year old with letter identification.

After a while, enough of them had been lost under the fridge that I moved it to find some pretty dirty letters under there. I didn't want to give them gross dirty letters so I tried to clean them. BIG MISTAKE. As soon as they got a little bit wet, the colored fronts of the letters started to disintegrate. We now need a replacement set, but it will not be from Melissa and Doug.
review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 27, 2014
We purchased this to have extra letters for our kids to play with on our dishwasher and refrigerator. The top coating/colored layer has begun to chip off. Not tiny pieces either. Just the wrong size of chunks. About 1/2 inch. Enough to get swallowed and choke a child. I DO NOT recommend this product!
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Magnetic Letters & Numbers. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on March 27, 2012
The original letters I bought were wonderful! To increase the words we could write I bought this bundled package; the quality is very different. These letters and numbers are not glossy and the paper covering them was peeling with several letters arriving broken. I suggest only buy the individual packages.