Most helpful critical review
173 of 178 people found the following review helpful
PLEASE BE AWARE - EMERGENCY STOMACH SURGERY WAS NEEDED
on January 18, 2011
I have never posted a review before, but because I am such an animal lover, I couldn't help but warn any pet owners thinking of giving these treats to your babies. I was told these treats, Texas Toothpicks, are "safer and healthier alternative to rawhide" for dogs of all ages and sizes. My beloved dachshund, Tele, began vomitting blood this past Friday. I rushed her to the vet, and they immediately took her for x-rays, as they assumed she must have ingested something dangerous. There was a huge, pointed and jagged bone fragment lodged in her upper abdomen. They feared that the bloody vomit might be due to the stomach being punctured, so they needed to do emergency surgery to remove it before it did puncture the stomach or worse. It was also clear by the size and shape, that she would not be able to pass it naturally and safely, even if it wasn't lodged. Luckily, Tele is recovering so far, but it has been hell for me (and her, of course), especially considering I, as a loving parent, had given her this treat. So, after $2,000 in medical costs, the fear of almost losing my beloved Tele and 10-14 days of recovery for her, I urge you to reconsider Texas Toothpicks for your pets!
I have seen at least one other posting about this concern with bone fragments and their small breed dog. I wish I'd seen it beforehand, so hopefully my posting will help.