Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: ToyChange

on October 13, 2009
I have a 28 month old grandson. I wanted some new toys for him to play with at my house. I wanted something that would challenge him. He has several other things that I have seen him progress with skills while playing with them. I thought this one would be the same. First, he would learn to remove the pieces and eventually progress to putting the pieces back in. He came over and I got this puzzle out. It started out the way I thought it would. He figured out that he needed to put the magnet on the metal spots, which he did. As he took them out, we talked about the picture on the piece. He wasn't ready to replace the pieces, which was okay. That could come later. What I was not anticipating, but probably should have, was him draping the string around his neck. Talk about choking hazard. We stopped that activity and then he started waving the pole back and forth. We managed to take it away from him before he hit himself or someone else with the magnet on the end. The puzzle is now in the closet and we will wait until he is closer to or past 3 before getting it out again. I want to challenge him, but not at the risk of injuring him.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2008
The kids love using the magnet fishing pole and discussing their "catch". The only problem I have encountered is how much the 3 yr old loves to twirl the fishing pole causing much potential for disaster.
on November 23, 2008
My son is 18 months old. His grandparents got this puzzle for him about two months ago. I thought he wouldn't understand how to do it, since the age recommendation was 3 years and up, and you have to have pretty good fine motor skills and control to swing and hold the fishing pole magnetic just right over the pieces in order to pick them up.

After about a week, he was a pro with it, picking up the pieces patiently. I was impressed and started teaching him the names of the sea creatures. So now I will tell him, "Pick up the squid," and he'll 'fish' it out and give it to me. He will do that correctly for each animal I name. He also tries to say "Octopus" "Jellyfish" "Dolphin" "Whale" and "SHARK!" (that one is yelled).

He loves this toy and it is teaching him patience and fine motor skills. It is well made and not noisy!! We love it.
on November 12, 2009
I got this for my daugther and although she likes it I was a little disappointed. I know its a fishing game but it is also a puzzle and unlike the other Melissa and Doug puzzles (which I love)this game does not have a picture underneath the puzzle piece which is a bit tricky for my little one plus its not so colourful as it is just the wood underneath. Another point is it would be nice if the fishing rod attached to the puzzle to store it and then I would not have to go looking for it before we can play it again.
on June 29, 2008
I bought this for my almost-2 year old niece. She and her 4 year old sister both enjoy playing with it and, according to my sister, it provides some welcome QUIET play time (so many toys lately come complete with loud, electronic NOISE).

on March 1, 2012
We bought this magnetic fishing puzzle when my daughter was just 14 months old. She's now 22 months old and she still loves it! She enjoys using the fishing pole to take the pieces out and deliver them to people. (She also picks the pieces out with her fingernails.) As of a couple weeks ago, she can even put all the pieces back in!

One reviewer commented that the fishing pole is not well finished (splintery), but ours is completely smooth. Others have said the pieces are not durable... Well, we got our puzzle 2nd hand and our kid plays with it daily and it still looks great.

The biggest concern among reviewers critical of this puzzle seems to be safety. Though the puzzle is recommended for ages 3 and up, our daughter has run into absolutely no problems with the safety of her favorite puzzle. That said, we don't let her run around with the fishing pole and we're probably just lucky that she's more interested in fishing with it than swinging it around. She does have friends who like to thwack each other with the magnet, but that has tended to result in hurt feelings more than actual physical pain. So the safety of this puzzle, like that of many toys, kind of depends on the temperament of your child and the amount of supervision you're willing to provide.

We love this puzzle!
on August 25, 2008
My 1 1/2 year old son loved this toy at a friend's house. I enjoyed helping him work on it as well. But when I ordered this newer version with more cartoon-like fish we are both disappointed. I think the fish and sea creatures look silly, and I can no longer name them. I definitely prefer the more realistic looking sea creatures on the older version and my son seemed more attracted to them as well.

Also with this newer version the puzzle pieces are more difficult to put back because it isn't immediately clear which way is up. I'm sure when he is older it will be easier for him. (I realize he is younger than the recommended age).

He does still enjoy "fishing" out the pieces. It's still a good toy, but we are going back to the older version.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2009
I know that it's meant for older children, but I let him play with it under supervision and he loves it. Even at 16 months, he was able to recognize the turtle specifically and only fish it out. It's a great, very sturdy toy, with lots of bright colors. I was initally concerned about the magnet in the fishing pole, but it's made really well and we've had no problems. Great toy!
on January 1, 2011
Ok this is a cute game and a good idea. The kids are suppose to catch the little pieces with the fishing pole, easy enough? Yes but toddlers may find other things to do with the pole. My 2.5 year old son thought this was very fun for about 10 minutes. Then his one year old sister came up to see what was distracting him for so long. Well he decided to wave around the pole and tell her to bite it, he wanted to fish for her...not good. I was watching him instruct her on how to become a fish and he could catch her. This was the end of the game, at least while my daughter is in the room. I had to take the puzzle away until later. Overall a fun twist on the same old cut out puzzles but you definitely need to be aware of the age group around the puzzle. If it were just my son I could leave this out for him to play but since I have a younger daughter this only comes out when she is napping.
on September 6, 2009
This is definitely another great melissa & doug toy in our house. My 23 month old son loves it. It seems simple...just use the pole to go fishing, but here is what's great about this toy:

1) my son works on his motor skills by "fishing" with the pole
2) within 2 days, he learned all the names of the animals in the puzzle
3) everytime we read a fish-related book (he loves "Fish Wish" or "Mister Seahorse") he runs and gets this puzzle and picks up the animal in the story
4) he loves to fish all the pieces out and put them back in - just like a puzzle

you can also create stories w/ the puzzle, and help your child learn their colors...

it's a clever toy...i wouldn't say it's hours of fun.....but it is definitely something that he picks up at least once or twice a day.