I have to start by saying that I love my Java Wand. There are many reasons to it:
1-Excelent flavor of the coffee: I am a coffee purist and think that good water and high quality and freshly roasted, ground and brewed coffee are important for a good tasting cup of coffee. For that reason, I have been using a french press for years, which I still love. Nevertheless, as my husband switched to decaf now it was more work to prepare two different cups of coffee every morning. I had considered one of those single serve coffee makers, but I don't like the flavor of my coffee when it has run hot water thru all that plastic that coffee makers are made of. Besides I didn't want another appliance in my house. So a second french press was going to be my choice, but when I found this Java Wand, I thought I would give it a try. And I am glad I did, as my coffee tastes as good as in the french press.
2-Convenience: It is so easy to make coffee with this little device. Just boil water and add to the cup that already has the coffee grounds in it.
3-Space saving: It doesn't take any room.
4-Portable: It comes in its own carrying case that protects it and makes it portable if you want to take the wand with you. But it is also portable as you can put the hot water and coffee in a coffee travel mug and drink out of it with the wand.
5-Fast: I think it is the fastest way to make your coffee. Just boil the water and the coffee is ready.
6-Easy clean up.
7-Savings: You are saving on coffee, as I have found that I can add boiling water to the grounds left in my cup and still have a second good cup of coffee out of it. Not to mention the savings on water, as it takes less water for clean up.
8-Health: The straw is made out of glass and the filter out of fiberglass. Also, by drinking such a freshly made coffee you are reaping the antioxidants benefits of the coffee as opposed to a coffee that has been sitting on a coffee pot overheating.
9-Green: nothing to dispose off: No coffee filters, no single serve coffee cups that are now so in vogue, less coffee to brew, less water for clean up. It is recyclable as well.
10-Personal: It is a personal straw, I wouldn't share it. If I have to make several cups of coffee for guests or family I would use my french press.
11-Fun: It is such a different and fun way to drink coffee. It might sound strange for some people to drink coffee out of a straw, but it doesn't take any time to get used to. My only concern was the scent, as I love smelling my coffee. Good thing you can still enjoy the coffee smell while you drink it.
12-Better for your teeth: As you are drinking out of a straw you are not getting coffee all around your mouth to stain your teeth. Personally, after I finish drinking coffee, I rinse my mouth as well.
13-Dynamic: After you add hot water to the coffee grounds in the cup, you can add directly the sweetener of your choice, milk or cream, any flavorings, etc., stir it with the wand and drink directly and immediately. I personally drink my coffee black with no sugar. Also, you can add ice and make iced coffee all in one cup without having to dirty up more items.
14-Addictive: I found that because it is so easy, fun and fast to make coffee now I am drinking more coffee. I now have to be careful about this and keep my coffee consumption to my regular amount and not more.

Suggestions:
1-Use a tall cup as the straw is long and you don't want too much of it to stick out.
2-To clean it, most of the time it is only necessary to rinse it. If you need to clean the inside use as pipe cleaner as they don't recommend to take apart the filter from the straw. It does comes apart, but taking it apart would start wearing on the seal and compromise the integrity of the wand.
on October 26, 2008
I was originally looking for a single serve coffee maker. After reading the reviews of the top sellers, although mostly good, I couldn't help to think of the hassle if I were one of the few who got the leaky malfunctioning machine.

I'm so glad to have come across the Java Wand. At first glance it looks to be a novelty. But there couldn't be a more simple way to make a good cup of coffee. I find drinking our of the straw fun and it really does spare your teeth. I was worried about how I was going to sip a hot cup of coffee through a straw. I don't know if the glass tempers the coffee or what, but so far so good. And less cleanup than a coffee maker.
on September 30, 2008
I was able to get a really good deal on this and the single serve tea tool. This enables me to make french-press like coffee on the road - all I need is my own ground coffee (the carrying case even has a compartment to carry it with me.) and boiling water. It takes a bit to get used to drinking hot coffee and tea through a straw, but it's better for your teeth.
on January 12, 2013
I bought the Java Wand to get my morning caffeine fix at school. We used to have coffee pots, but the Fire Marshall took them away. The Java wand solved my problems! All you have to do is add about 2 Tbsp coffee (regular grind) to 6-8 oz of water, then microwave for a couple minutes (or just add near boiling water and omit the microwave). Take it out, put the wand in, and you have coffee!
on October 9, 2012
I bought one of these and it lasted for about a year and a half. Other straws/bombillas similar to this either rusted or shattered quite quickly. I didn't wash this in the dishwasher to prevent it from accidentally shattering because it's easy to overlook when unloading the dishwasher. I'm going to purchase another one because the mesh in the base finally broke away from the plastic after daily use making 2-3 cups of tea each day. The glass straw I'm going to save as a backup. I feel that it definitely was worth the cost!

It works great for loose leaf tea fine without letting any grounds into your mouth.

***** The second one I bought to replace the one that lasted 1.5 years shattered a month after I bought it... Sadly, it shattered when I put the bottom screen back on after I removed it to clean. It splintered into a pointy tube of DOOM, and proceeded to go quite far into my palm. I had blood everywhere, and didn't get to enjoy my cup of tea. I bought it from the same retailer as the first one too.
on February 20, 2013
It works well and the coffee tastes good. I have no counter space and this is the fine functional tool.
on January 11, 2015
Received as a gift for Christmas. I have used it daily. Once I noticed I couod fit the straw through my tervis tumbler covers I use boty large or small and drink everything from it. Yes I use it to drink ice water as well.

I drink tea from it more than coffee but that's changing slowly not a big coffee drinker to begin with. The holes are small enough to filter finer particles f yerba !ate and bagged tea (I just rip the bag open to get a better extraction). I do notice if I add ground spices which is usually cinnamon or ginger it will clog. That's no fault of the straw I have yet to find a filter mechanic me that can handle the fine ground spices at least I don't end up with my mouth full of spices.
on January 13, 2013
No need for coffee filters, or coffee maker, just dump coffee in a tall cup (16oz insulated tumbler w/lid works best), pour in hot water, insert the wand, put the tumbler lid on (the drinking end of the wand fits through hole in the lid), coffee's ready!
If you've got a cat's tongue, you may want to put less hot water and add an ice cube, or wait a bit before you sip.
on March 23, 2009
I ordered 2 of these - one for me and one for my father in law. I thought it might be handy for the office and/or camping or just on the road. The filter does work really well, and the straw pulls out so you can wash everything easily. You must keep the case it comes in for it to be portable as the straw is made of glass. Plus the case has a little compartment on one end to store coffee grounds or tea leaves on-the-go. Drinking coffee/tea through a straw is better for your teeth - and since I am whitening right now (and not supposed to be drinking coffee as it is) it's a must for me. Drinking a hot beverage isn't too bad through the straw unless it's searing hot. You get used to it. I use mine mostly for tea at the office. One of my workers pointed out that it looks a bit like a crack pipe - yes that was nice of him. Now, I don't have much experience with crack pipes myself but from what I've seen on Law and Order SVU or CSI or whatever it is, I'm probably going to agree with him. Ever since then I've been a little self conscious about using it at work - and then going to rinse it off in the kitchen. Oh what people must think! But if the thought of drinking through a crack pipe in public doesn't bother you and you'd like on-the-go convenience for your favorite coffee and tea - this is a great little product.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2013
If your'e a tea drinker who likes loose tea instead of the tea bags, its wonderful. Especially for yerbe mate drinkers. Those from South America who like to drink yerba mate all day long, will like this when on the go in a tall mug. Just be careful as it is made of glass and will break, as I found out the first time around.