Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sheaffer Calligraphy Maxi Kit, 3 Viewpoint Fountain Pens with 3 Nib Grades, Assortment of Ink Cartridges, Tracing Pad (73404)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

This set is a great 'beginner' set for anyone who would like to learn calligraphy. The pens included are not high quality, but they are more than sufficient for practice. The paper provided is like tracing paper, and allows you to place it over a practice source and trace each letter or sentence. Sometimes the ink can bleed through the paper, so be careful not to press too hard.

Pros:

Many ink refills included in the package

A good basics of calligraphy book included

Priced very well

Cons:

The pens are not high quality, but that hardly matters at the price.

Summary:

This is a great bargain for anyone who would like to start calligraphy. Also would be a great Christmas present for an artistic child.
33 comments|208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2008
Wonderful starter set. Comes with plenty of Ink Refills. A user guide on getting started with various styles of calligraphy is included, along with Transparent Paper to place over the styles to practice. I love it, and recommend it highly for anyone wishing to experiment with calligraphy.
0Comment|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2010
An excellent starter kit for anyone interested in learning the art of the calligraphy. Contains many different ink colors and three different nib sizes as well as a small booklet on the basics of different types of fonts to write with. The gothic style is my favorite and my writing with this set is actually a lot better looking than my regular handwriting.
on October 22, 2011
I was looking for a quick way to play around with calligraphy, so I bought this set based on the reviews. The biggest issue I have with this set is the 'thins'. I find that unless you are really flying as you write, the ink bleeds horrendously, leaving very little difference between thicks and thins. Not good for the beginning calligrapher who doesn't have the skill to go fast.
(I was trying a dip pen last night, and found that the dip pen did produce the thins that I was looking for. However, you of course trade the nice writing for the dipping inconvenience.

Pros:
Lots of colors included
Price
The smallest nib works well enough for non calligraphy use (as a general fountain pen)

Cons:
Ink bleeds

In short, the set is not for everyone. I'll be switching to dip pens.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2012
SUMMARY: It's great for learning without investing in more expensive pens and inks. It gives you the opportunity to try new things out and play around with a craft while you decide if this is something you want to become good at. I think this is a good investment.
This is a decent calligraphy set to learn with. Until I tried better pens, I thought it was excellent. I've been using this set for about 20 years (very few years I'd need a new set because of moves or cats stealing them off the table, etc.).

I've learned a lot about calligraphy in the last new months. One of the things I was surprised to find (although it shouldn't have surprised me) is that this is an inexpensive way to try out calligraphy, but it's not good for anything beyond that stage.

It comes with a small instruction book. I highly recommend a trip to the library for another book to get you more samples of fonts to use. I have found some fonts that are easier to learn with, and I'm going to start learning the one with lines now. You can also buy books about calligraphy, but if you're just fooling around deciding if this is something you want to try out, the library might be cheaper. Plus, if you haven't been in a library for a while, you might find that your local library's changed. I know mine has!

These pens are also useful in helping you learn how to hold the pen and write with it without you purchasing a more expensive pen and then ruining the nib. That being said, the nibs are ok but not great. Like I said, they're good for a beginner, but they're not high quality. I was very surprised at the difference in writing when I switched to a better nib.

I played around with these pens for years before purchasing a higher quality pen. I regret not making the switch sooner (20 years with three version of this set is too long to use an intro set like this), but I've only recently learned the differences between the more expensive pens and this inexpensive kit.
on January 8, 2009
This item is an excellent kit for anyone interested in calligraphy. It contains everything needed for beginners or advanced calligraphers. I was very impressed with the quality of the instruments and the variety. Great value!!
on October 18, 2010
I have used Shaeffer Calligraphy pens in the past for wedding invitations. This set rovides many options (beyond standard black). If you are searching for a colored ink but aren't sure which one to use, this gives some great samples to try out for the more adventureous client or calligrapher. You can also experiement with the different nibs and colors to create numerous examples, or find what is just right for you. The included booklet provides some fun examples and suggestions for different styles of writing. Only thing missing is the lined paper they suggest using for spacing purposes.
on February 12, 2011
I have been doing calligraphy for many years, always love these pen sets, by sheaffer. They do exactly what is expected! The ink window is a nice touch. I never realized one short letter can use 1/2 a tube of ink.
on February 6, 2012
I got this set to try my hand (pun intended) at addressing my wedding invitations. After only about 20 minutes of practice in the included book, I was ready for action! While I'm not going to win any beautification awards, most of the addresses came out nicely. The box includes three empty pens, several colors, including purple, red and green and a "how-to" booklet, as well as a pad to practice with. It takes some hand and pressure adjusting, but overall this is a fun set and is definitely worth the price, even if just to check it out for a potential hobby.
on July 1, 2013
I never write reviews, but in the interest of saving anyone else the frustrations of trying to use these pens, I feel duty-bound. I have been using calligraphy pens (Sheaffer's mostly for over 35 yrs.), but had gotten away from them last 20. Shaeffer, go back to your original cartridge pens. These pens are cheaply made: their nubs don't carry the ink well; the cartridges are smaller & the loading design more difficult to puncture AND the ink dries up quickly when it hasn't been used! Never had that happen before--even after years of non-use. SAVE YOUR $$$, even at the discounted rate. These pens are NOT what you want.