Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: STK's Canon NB-5L NB5L Battery - 1400 mAH for Canon Powershot S100, S110, SX230 HS, SX210 IS, SD790 IS, SX200 IS, SD800 IS, SD850 IS, SD870 IS, SD700 IS, SD880 IS, SD950 IS, SD890 IS, SD970 IS, SD990 IS
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 3, 2012
UPDATE to review below, March 15, 2012...now that the factory battery and the STK battery have been charged/discharged a few more times each, I ran a test. Charged each one fully, put it in the Canon S100 camera, took one photo, then left the LCD/photo display "on" til the battery died (you can set this in the camera controls). The LCD brightness was at factory default (mid-brightness). Canon battery lasted 3 hours 40 min. and the STK lasted 3 hours 50 min. Not a scientific test but seems a fair comparison. Despite the higher Mah rating, my STK did not last much longer, but I'm still happy with it for the much lower price than the factory battery, and have ordered another one. (End update).

I've had a Canon S100 for a few weeks now, and bought one of these batteries as a backup at same time I purchased the camera. I've run them through several charge/discharge cycles in normal use by now. In terms of how long they last, I can't see any noticeable difference between this battery and the Canon-brand battery (if this battery really delivers 1400mah vs. the Canon's stated 1120mah, it is not obvious in use.) This echoes my experience buying off-brand batteries for Nikon, Panasonic and Pentax cameras over the past few years...I've never had a bad experience though I know others have sometimes reported issues. There may be some advantage to not buying the absolute cheapest version of an off-brand battery, and looking at the reviews of other genuine users is a good idea, but saving $20. or more off the cost of the factory battery is worth some reliability risk to me. If I encounter problems later with this STK battery I will report again.
0Comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2010
Have had this battery for my Canon for a few years, since I bought my camera in fact, and it has worked like a charm. It lasts at least as long as my OEM. Both OEM and this one have been used about equally, swap out one for the other as they die. In fact, now my OEM doesn't hold a charge very long when not in use, whereas this battery lasts long even when not being used, so I always know the back up is there.
0Comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2012
I bought this to use as a backup battery for my Canon SX230HS while on vacation, so I didn't run out of battery while out and about all day. Worked great, charged quickly, camera works when I use it. All good!
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
Battery arrived quickly. Took a full charge without difficulty and functions well in the Canon SX230IS for which it was intended. These batteries often have a spotty performance record, so it's always good when one passes the first charge and works well. It's usually good from that point onward.
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2011
This is a great 3rd party battery. I have 2 of these for my canon S100 and for the price, i will keep buying more. The s100, uses batteries a lot quicker than the other point and shoot because of its CMOS sensor, while others use ccd sensors.

Along with that and gps, plus hd video, batteries do not last a day and i have 3 batteries that are constantly on rotations.

You will not be dissappointed. Like the other reviewers, i have had the same battery life with this as the oem and since i am using them all at different times, my oem battery lasts longer as well.

If you never want to worry about batteries, here is a good tip.

1. buy 2 of these suckers
2. Number them so you know which is which
3. and everytime you use a battery, take it out and switch it for the next in line.... i will make sure that the battery is about 25% before i use the next and occasionally let it drain.

when you first get the battery, charge it completely and then use it in your camera until it completely drains.... and then fully charge again with 20 minutes extra.

its not really required, but i feel like it helps to get it a little used. Love it!
33 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2012
Picked this up as a spare battery for my SX230 HS and it works great. I've noticed about the same battery life as the one that came with the camera and it holds a charge well when not in use. Definitely a great deal and a good thing to pick up since the camera can suck battery life at events and such.
on March 17, 2008
This batter provided over 300 digital pictures before recharging was necesseary on my Canon SD800-IS, with minimal usage of the display screen.
0Comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2012
since receiving this item it has worked as described. no faults so far. good battery life for my camera. would buy another if needed. great price..
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2012
There are less expensive batteries out there, but I didn't want to take a chance that they might be junk. I went for the STK NB-5L replacement battery for a few Dollars more. It fits my Canon SC230HS, charges quickly and lasts as long as the Canon battery that came with my camera. What more could a person ask? This is the battery to buy.
on August 5, 2010
Great deal on a good replacement battery. Gets more pix per charge than Canon original. Only raeson I did not give it 5 stars is that I do not know how long it will keep taking charges. I have had 2 bad experiences with other brands that I was able to use for less than a year.
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse