Size: Full Figure|Change

on June 18, 2012
I bought my sewing machine mainly for alterations. As some of you know, it is very difficult to pin and mark clothing when you are wearing the item yourself. This dress form makes it a lot easier. Assembly was a breeze but a word of caution - I set the measurements on the dress form but it did not seem to match up with the measurements I took of myself. I recommend setting it up with your measurements initially, but then calibrating it by putting an item of clothing that fits you well on it and making the adjustments from there.
22 comments|292 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2013
She arrived the day after i ordered. It took only 20 minutes to set her up. I read a lot of reviews before I ordered and I decided that if treated her gently (as a lady should be) AND gradually adjusted the dials as directed, she would give me many years of service. The price is reasonable. She is not indestructible as some reviewers seem to think she should be by their complaints and calling her "cheap and flimsy". We are talking about a dress form that adjusts and I have to defend her honor by saying she is much more sturdily constructed than I expected (from those who gave unfavorable reviews). She is lightweight, easy to move, and the squeeze button dials for adjusting are simple enough. The instruction sheet (with illustrations) explains very thoroughly how to assemble, take body measurements, adjust the form, how to use the hem marker and tips for any additional fitting adjustments you might need. I think I should name her "Patience".
22 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2010
Of course everyone's body's a little different, but the wide range of changeable settings on the dressform made it so it's the closest thing I am sure I will ever have to a twin. The base seems like it might be a little unstable if you were to be making something that requires very heavy material, but it works fine for the everyday creations and alterations. Overall great product.
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2013
While the shipping was speedy and I received my item fast, when I received my package the box was pretty busted up and ripped in several places. (I have made numerous online purchases and never received them in that kind of condition before). Furthermore the top of the box wasn't taped up to well and anything lose inside could have fell out. Onward to my actual product review...It's okay. Cheaply made, but I guess you get what you paid for. While putting it together, I was tightening the wing nut that holds the dress form in place for the height and it snapped. (2 turns) Now I have to go out and search for another one. The knobs that you turn to adjust the width seem cheap too and after breaking the wing nut I used great care in making the rest of the adjustments. I would not recommend this specific dress form to anyone that needs to be making constant size adjustments, but if you are like me and just using it for yourself and a family member, go for it. Just be careful with it, the parts are very fragile, especially the cheaply made wing nut.

***UPDATE*** After my original product review I called Amazon in regards to the broken wing nut, and to find out if they could tell me how to get a new one. Low and behold they shipped me a whole new dress form the next day! Being I had already adjusted the one that I had I just took out the wing nut and shipped back the new dress form. Thank you Amazon for your great customer service and ultra speedy resolution to my problem. I give Amazon 5 stars!!!
0Comment|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
Original review "Hmmmm, little undecided on this..." posted January 11, 2012:

I just bought this for personal use and it was delivered last night. Upon first look, eh...not to shabby but certainly not great. The knobs are made of plastic and it comes set on the 2nd setting. When trying to adjust to the smallest setting...it won't budge. I don't know why they wouldn't ship it out on the smallest setting. Then, I was looking at it and it said it was at the 43" bust but it really didn't look like it'd be 43". So I take out my measuring tape and low and behold it's no where near 43", if I recall it was at 39". So beware...there sizes run smaller than what they state on the description, which was fine for me because I was sorta in between the small and the medium size forms. I have been looking for a good dress form for awhile now and settled on this one which was one of the more expensive and better reviewed but after getting it, I don't see how this one was any different than the others I looked at, with exception to the better bust form. A few others had too gradual of a slope from the breast to the waist, which I really wanted to make sure I got one with an appropriate form to my own. Anyway, I haven't actually gotten to use this yet. I will update this review once I do but I wanted to give my initial thoughts upon receiving the item. Hope this is helpful to some. :)

UPDATED June 6th, 2013:

Still have this dress form and I must say it's very sturdy and reliable. I use Velcro which sticks nicely to the form, to help keep my fabric in place while pinning or adjusting fabric. You can't really pin directly to it, I wish it had more of a softer exterior but like I said, the Velcro works. The adjustment knobs loosen up after you have it for awhile, at first they were very stiff and hard to cooperate, lol. A couple times I wanted to pitch it out of my window...but this doesn't happen anymore. ;-) The stand is extremely sturdy, no balance issues and I am pretty tough on my equipment. I never use the dress hook but I typically only work on tops not dresses. Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase and would recommend to anyone. Including novice to advanced seamstresses.
11 comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2015
I've been sewing for 45 years, and this dress form was a bit of a challenge. Here's the pros and cons:
PROS:
1. It's not as expensive as a "professional" dress form.
2. Dials work well and make it easy to change measurements.
3. The covering is soft enough to pin to.
4. Unlike other reviewers, I found the stand to be stable enough to not be a problem.
CONS:
1. The inch numbers on the dial seem to be a bit off. Use your measuring tape to get to a rough adjustment. After that, use a non-stretchy garment that fits you well and put it on her. Make final adjustments based on how a known well-fitting garment fits on your dress form.
2. She isn't made for us hour glass shaped girls. Getting a proper adjustment if there's a more that 4 inch difference between your bust-to-waist or waist-to-hip measurements is almost impossible. If you do have more than a 4 inch difference, you may need to buy a form closest to your smallest measurement, and then pad it out in fuller areas to compensate.
on February 14, 2015
This dress form is perfect form. I bought the medium. I chose Medium which is directly my size when fully extended. I also purpose to use it as a motivator to drop 6 dress sizes😊. It's worth every penny. I will purchase other sizes for my business. Look at the pictures below.
review image review image review image review image
on February 19, 2013
I bought this dress form because I have a daughter who is too small to buy off of the rack much of the time, I've only had it for about one week. I am very happy to have it but I do want to be honest about the shortfalls. The dress form arrived pretty quickly and was easy to set up--I did feel a little afraid that I would break the little push in tab that holds the base poles together. It is very lightweight and definitely on the flimsy side but will do the job. I will need to permanently glue in the "pin cushion" as it is pretty much just a sponge sitting in a tray that came off with the first pin I put in it. I don't understand why the important screws and attachments are not made of made of metal--even the little tab that holds the entire dress form up on the pole is made of plastic. The seams of the body parts of the dress form itself were not perfectly aligned. When using the knobs, be careful to turn all of them a little at a time--I felt that some of the pressure buildup could cause something to break. Don't accidentally step on the tip of the base/foot like I did...the plastic foot covering that protects your floor will crack. From what I can tell, if you are going to need to use the knobs to resize a lot, this may not be the dress form for you. The size adjustment system works fine, but it just doesn't look like it can take much wear and tear so if your need requires constant resizing of the dress form, you may want to consider buying the more expensive types of dress forms. Had they made the screws out of metal, it would have drastically improved the quality of the dress form in my opinion. For me, because of the price and because I am able to work on things for my tiny teen, this works great and I am thankful to have it. Now I don't have to keep calling her down and seeing if my latest alterations fit her body, I can work without needing to stop.
on January 23, 2012
I was tired of constantly having to try on clothes throughout the sewing process, to check for fit. My 'slave' is the answaer for me. I don't have to keep stripping, and now I see the clothes from a different perspective, too.
on December 30, 2012
I received the dress form and have used it twice so far. It makes it easier to sew for my full-figure and fit in the placed that you want it to fit and loose in other areas. I would recommend this one on Amazon because it was 1/2 the price of Craigslist and Jo-Ann Fabrics but the identical model/brand.