Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yakima Q-Clip Set
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Price:$1.10 - $86.57

on March 10, 2010
I have had the Q-tower system for a number of years, through three different vehicles. All in all a great rack system, except for two items: The cost of the little parts that you need to convert from one vehicle to the other are stratospheric! I really don't mind Yakima making their money on the big ticket items such as towers, boxes, etc. but the little adapter items should be priced more fairly. It seems to me that once you are locked into a Yakima system they fully intend to hose you on the little things. Too bad. Further, the Yakima website is a mess to try and find the specific little items and accessories that they intend on hosing you with!
44 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2015
It works, but even with vinyl pads you put on the clips, it still cut into my cars paint (pic), not much, but still damaged my car. Im not sure if the vinyl could have been any thicker to protect against paint damage, but if it was, would it be as strong/safe holding onto my car so the rack doesn't fly off under load...? I installed this system myself, following the instructions to the "T" and im very mechanically inclined. If anything, the clamps may be too tight. Theyre not touching the bar, but are very close. Either way, id rather have a small scratch on my car for doing what i love than for 68 lbs of kayak to come flying off down the interstate. Dont get me wrong, it works, but for Yakima to piece everything out and charge such a ridiculous price for all the pieces, you would think it wouldnt damage the vehicle. Although I dont think Thule makes a rack for Scion tC, it wouldnt matter, theyre just as expensive. Fortunately I lucked out and found the bars, the Q-towers and the fairing at a local Dicks for half off all of them. $14 a lock seems a bit steep to lock your rack on your car, unless you want to continually remove and reset your rack all the time, which is a pain. I recommend two people clamping the rack system at the same time. It can be done by yourself, but i wouldnt recommend it. All in all, i had to get this for my kayak. I personally think its safer than using noodles or the $30 kayak roof mounting kit at dicks (which is pretty much just like using noodles, just way more expensive). You need this clip and Q-99 for 2005 scion tc. The 58" bar is recommended but i used the 48" bars (48" pic), they dont stick out 5" on both sides of the car. You can use either the 44" fairing or the 38" fairing (38" pic). I drove it without it, very low whistle tone, you cant here it over the A/C or radio, but i kept the fairing for looks more or less, it was half off price anyways. Its just for when youre NOT hauling anything, because youll get all kinds of noise form straps when hauling something. Dont open your sunroof while rack is mounted (duh). Now i just need to bite the bullet on those locks... found some by ZeLock for $35.99 or $9 a lock (vs. $55 or $14 a lock), better hurry, only (2) four packs left.
review image review image review image review image review image
You need 2 sets of these `Yakima Q Clip Sets' and the corresponding `Yakima Roundbars Roof Rack Cross Bars' (check your vehicle dimensions for the proper lengths), if you are planning to install a ski rack or any type of enclosure unit. I had these installed professionally for a little bit more money, and it was worth avoiding the hassle. They come with an extra set of keys and are very strong. They are simple and sleek. Definitely a `must have' for a truck owner.
on June 22, 2014
Make sure you order two sets of these to complete four Q Towers. They are well made and the included pads keep them from scratching your vehicle's finish. A little pricey but, necessary to complete two cross bars.
on June 9, 2013
I've owned the Yakima Q-Tower system for almost eight years. I just transferred it to my third vehicle (same bars and Q-Tower, somewhat different clips needed for different vehicles).

I found the installation instructions to be clear.

The installation process was straightforward and eminently "doable" by this "not-so-handy" guy.

The tower itself, and the foot, appears relatively aerodynamically efficient. The lock housing -- not so much (the lock housing is the assembly that holds the clip and the lock and has the cam that locks down the unit to the car).

I also bought the optional fairing, but have never used it. I liked the idea that the fairing would reduce wind noise and slightly increase fuel economy. But I found that I'd have to remove the fairing to attach things to the bars -- and at least some of the things that I wanted to attach were incompatible with the fairing. I don't even use it when I just have the bars up there because -- well -- I usually try to remove the whole mess when I'm not using it to even more surely decrease noise and increase gas mileage.

The round bars have been effective -- can't complain about them. I presume that they are slightly more aerodynamically efficient than Thule's standard square bars, but can't prove it.

The round bars definitely increase wind noise -- I'm even more inclined than usual to keep my speed down with the bars up there -- to keep down noise and minimize fuel efficiency decrease.

Why did I buy Yakima's system instead of Thule's eight years ago? Well, I wanted to ensure that it would fit well on my vehicle. My vehicle's manufacturer offered the Yakima rack as an optional accessory at time of purchase -- so I figured that pretty much guaranteed good compatibility.

If I were buying a system now, I think that I would look into one of the new Aero bars (i.e., with more of a wing-shaped cross-section).

Incidentally, the three vehicles I've used this on were: 2006 Scion xB (the old original boxy version), 2008 Toyota Prius, 2013 Toyota Prius.
on April 17, 2016
I went to the products website, entered my vehicle info, and ordered the size suggested. The worst. They don't stay on, slipping off if we go over 35 MPH. We are going to attempt to attach rubber strips to the metal part (that goes into your door frame) hoping this will give it a better grip. So disappointed!
on March 4, 2016
Does the job, rock solid grip and easier than expected to change out when switching to another vehicle. We frequently move the racks back and forth between a Subaru and a Mazda and the pins pop in and out easily. A needle nose pliers makes it a no brainer, but you could get away without tools. The stickers to protect the finish flaked off on the exterior and had to be cut, but that was just a cosmetic issue. Been through many storms now and can say definitively that they do not allow water to leak through to the interior of the car!
on November 4, 2015
The clips fit great. for those wondering, The Q115s are for 2001-2004 civic coupes. They fit well, are sturdy, and get are easy to install again and again. I used my civic to haul a 12ft alluminum boat. The boat weighs ~180lbs. The clips hold the rack on so well that you can move the car just from pushing the rack. Because I drive a coupe, I used the short roof extender kit and 58in round bars, and Q-towers. The set-up wasn't cheap, but was great for what I used it for. when attached, I hauled the boat at speeds up to 70 mph with no movement of the rack.
on January 8, 2016
Replacement clips and pads for our Yakima rack to fit 2008 Honda Odyssey EX. These are for the Q towers that we have installed in the sliding doors for our front bars. The rear bars are on rail grabs on the factory rack. These clips fit perfectly onto the raingutter under the rubber seal. Excellent grab and no leakage into the car.
on February 9, 2013
I received an old Yakima sytem previously used on a huge car. I drive a little BMW and really needed a carrier for my mountain bikes, kayaks, etc. I was excited to get the whole system but quickly discoved the clips which secure the system to the car were not going to work. After a bit of research I found these clips on Amazon and ordered them right away. The arrived quickly and are the same durable quality you would expect from Yakima. I was able to assemble the carrier system and mount it securely to the roof of my small BMW 323i. Without these clips the system would have been useless to me and still be sitting on the floor or my garage. In the future when I change cars all I'll need to do is change clips and the Yakima system will stay with me forever. Great product!