Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on July 23, 2011
I've had this on a few camping trips and I'd say it is a decent product, within its capabilities, but unfortunately, its capabilities are limited.

You can't expect performance up there with a home fan from a 6" fan powered by 2 D-cell batteries. It just isn't going to be that strong. Unfortunately, for the summers here in MD (and in most of the country) you need a more powerful fan than this to be comfortable. The 2 D-cells do give about the 16 hours of operation it is rated for (I got about 2 1/2 nights on high before the performance noticeably decreased).

Put it a few inches from your head and you'll get some air circulation. It is certainly better than nothing, and if these little camp fans from Texsport and Coleman were your only options, they'd buy you a little more camping comfort. However, for car camping, they are no longer your only options. I'm going to buy one of the O2Cool battery operated fans. 8 D-cells and a 10" blade will make for a much more powerful fan and much more air circulation, and initial price is similar. Even though they take 8 D-cells instead of 2 like the Texsport, they are rated for 40 hours of operation as opposed to this fan's 16hrs, 2 1/2 times longer. So, you won't be spending that much more on batteries (10 batteries for 80 hours of operation for the Texsport, 16 batteries for 80 hours of much more effective operation for the O2Cool, or at about $1.50/battery, about $15 for a mostly ineffective Texsport and $24 for the more effective O2). The O2 is still cheaper to operate for about a week than the cost of an electric site (so you can use a home fan) for a day. The Texsport has the advantage if you have a very small tent and don't have the space for the 10" O2, but need something, or if you are backpacking (though for that, Coleman has similar fans that are even smaller).

The light is useful for changing and getting ready for bed, and being built-in it is a nice space savings. However, it isn't super bright so you wouldn't want to read with it. Also, the lens shape distorts the light a little and makes for some interesting shadows if you try to use it for anything else. The space savings advantage is lost when you consider that you will probably want a flashlight for walking to the bathroom and/or a lantern for the campsite anyway.

Would I buy it again? Nope, I'd buy the O2Cool. It works if you just don't have the room for the O2. If you live somewhere where it doesn't get too hot it may be all you need. It is better than nothing even someplace hot. But, these days, there are better options.
______

Edit:
Now that I also own 2 O2Cool fans (a 10" and a 6") I have a few comments about my O2Cool recommendations v. this fan.

Effectiveness: The O2Cool fans are more effective- the 6" is a little more effective for a little more than half the price of the Texsport, the 10" is a lot more effective for a little less than double the price.

Battery life: While they don't live up to the billing, the O2Cool fans do seem to last longer on a set of batteries.

Durability: I haven't had them long enough to have issues, but the 02Cool fans definitely feel a LOT cheaper. The Texsport seems like it would handle a lot of abuse and keep on working. The 02Cool fans not only seem like they will die with the first good bump, but I doubt they'll last more than a year or so even with normal use. Definitely something to consider for a fan that one may intend to bring camping.

Bottom line: I'm pretty happy with both, just don't expect more from them than what they are. I'm glad I have the Texsport and the 02Cool fans.
on October 7, 2008
This little fan has a great functional design and very nice airflow for its size. It has a carry handle, a built in hook and a stand that points it in any direction from straight up to straight down. The high speed is quite high and the low is very low, just right for sleeping when you just need the smallest little breeze on your face. Both speeds are quiet, the low is almost imperceptible. Light weight, about equal to the battery weight. The light would be handy for camping. Has a jack for a 3V power supply. For the price and size, 5 stars. If you're a tubby like me and sometimes crave a breeze wherever you go, get it!
on April 8, 2011
This fan worked well in keeping my head cool and helping with some white noise while I slept. I didn't use the built in light, so I can't attest to that. I tried using it outside while I read a book once, but it was completely ineffectual; this fan is strictly for small spaces in my opinion. My biggest complaint is that I don't really know when the batteries are low. I kept asking myself "Is it blowing less now than it was when I first got into the tent?" Of course, the only way to check is to change the batteries for a set that is known to be good. Such is the curse of analog devices such as this one. The batteries will keep turning that fan until their last gasp of life, even if the fan is only rotating at 1 RPM. The ambiguity about battery life is the only reason I didn't give 5 stars.
on October 1, 2015
Don't waste your time. I think the only reason the battery life is so long is because the batteries don't seem to make contact. I got this package yesterday, inserted some brand new batteries and it didn't work. The back cover, the important one for me as it has the hanger, is flimsy at best. Every time I moved the fan, the cover fell off. After tinkering with it for 30+ minutes, it never did work as expected. As soon as I have an opportunity, it goes back.
on July 10, 2015
I was very surprised by the power of this small fan. Even on low it gives off a noticeable breeze, particularly for being battery operated. The light is also not bad, it lit up our rather large tent very well. I even found myself using it as a light/fan for my covered porch after seeing how well it performed on the camping trip. The battery life is also pretty good. I would definitely purchase this product again when the time comes to replace it.
on July 15, 2015
I ordered 2 of these for a camping trip my spouse and I recently took, and I have to say I was VERY impressed. The fan is surprisingly powerful, and the light was bright enough that I found myself preferring it over the LED lantern we had hanging inside of our tent - and most of the time, we only needed to use one.

We camped for 2 nights/3 days, and when we left, the batteries were still going strong. I definitely recommend this item.
on November 1, 2015
Fan's a little weak, but the light is just fine in our 4 person tent. Battery life not really tested, though it got us through 4 nights with probably an hours use of the light and then the fan going all night.
on June 11, 2014
It seems like it will be okay but it is not like the picture. I had 1 exactly like this and I wanted another one. The one I received did not have the light in the center of the fan. Instead the base ring has LED's around it facing down. (wish I could show a picture) So if you are using the base to set it on a surface (like in the picture) rather than hanging it, you can not use the light.
on July 22, 2015
Works great in my one person tent for a nice little breeze on my face when it's roasting outside. Very bulky and a little heavy to hang if your tent doesn't have cross-poles. The light is very bright LED
on June 28, 2011
Used this fan this past weekend for camping, along with 2 new coleman fans All I can say is I am so happy I had this one with me. The coleman's failed after just one night! This little guy while not blasting the tent with air was perfect for just one person to feel a cool breeze and have a little noise to fall asleep to! I was very happy with this purchase!