Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

on September 15, 2007
I got this because I was looking for a small, lightweight multi-tool to handle the "bigger" jobs that I could easily stash in my camping backpack. I'll break the review down by tools:

Compass: Your typical extra small "survival" compass. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't prefer to have to rely on it. Since I pack my own "real" compass and have a "survival" compass in a survival kit already, this was not really needed.

Shovel: The main reason i was on the lookout for a tool like this. Its actually smaller than I thought, having a scoop of about the size of your hand. In hindsight, that seems to work fairly well and its small size actually works in its favor as you can use it as a shovel or light axe.

Saw: Ehh...Has a several inch long blade that I wouldn't trust on anything more than an inch or two thick (though expecting anything more from a tool like this is too much IMO). I kept it in the kit since it weighted so little, it can't hurt.

Pick: Ironically the one thing I've fairly positive about. Smallish, but very solid. Bites into harder earth very nicely and can be used as a tent stake, tie-down, or any other number of uses.

Axe/Hammer: A REAL let down IMO. The "head" is perhaps 2-3 inches at its widest point, and due to the light weight has almost no heft. This translates into almost no cutting force while swinging, and the short shaft doesn't help either. The hammer back is nice, but I think it'd really only end up being the piece of metal you'd hit with a rock to split wood or chop a branch.

Carry Pouch: Typical light-weight nylon. I could seeing it wearing and fraying in a couple years, especially after solid use.

Miscelaneous: My handles also came with some rust on the interior and the liquid from the compass drained. Wasn't worth the hassle of returning (besides I wanted to use it that weekend).

Overview: Its really not a BAD product, but it is cheap and I think it shows it in several areas. Looking to outfit a Boyscout for a quick weekend trip? This would be right up that alley (especially if they dont plan on chopping some serious wood) as its cheap, light-weight, and if its gets worn/lost in a year or so its not a big deal. If you're looking specifically for an axe or shovel (especially a good quality one), I think I would just buy two tools
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2010
the only thing good on this was the shovel. Th saw was not sharpened and too flimsy. as soon as i tried to use the axe ,two hits and it was bending.
on December 24, 2012
Ive never written a review until I bought this. Its just horrible. I sent it back almost instantly. It is weak. the "R" pin that holds the pieces onto the handle is thinner then a hair pin. The inter-changeable heads are replaced at the top making it just dangerous to use.

Also the hatchet like attachment is just shaped that way its not even sharpened.

Really just disappointed...
on November 2, 2009
For the price you can't beat it. Sturdy enough construction. Used mine till I lost it in the swamp. Reckon I will get another one. The carrying case is a little cheap though. But that is not how I lost mine.
on March 6, 2015
DO NOT BUY!!!!! You are better off just going to Academy and buying a shovel from them. Yes this has multi-purpose, but it is not worth buying. I took it on one camping trip, and the thing to screw the shovel/axe in place kept cross threading and getting stuck. The saw and axe both bend really easily as well. I highly recommend you look else where or but it, but make sure that you keep an eye on the return date so that you can return it if it breaks. I missed it by a few days.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Rothco's stuff is usually cheap Made In China junk, and this combo shovel-axe 'toy' is the usual flimsy garbage, just as all the other reviewers are saying. Those reviewers aren't exaggerating -- this really is junk.

There's nothing 'military' about this poorly made children's toy. This will not hold up to even the lightest use. It's no good for camping, and definitely no good in any emergency.

There's a big weekend flea market near me, most of which are permanent vendors selling cheap Chinese tools, kitchenware, and gadgets.
There are three different knife-and-ninja-tool booths which also carry this EXACT same flimsy combo tool-toy by Rothco. Average asking price is $4. Because it's just a toy, not a real tool.
But Rothco's current price on Amazon for this $4 flea market toy is $22. And that sums up Rothco perfectly.

It IS possible to buy a serious camping/expedition folding shovel, folding saw and small hatchet for outdoors use, but you're just not going to find a 'combo tool' that combines all 3 and is effective and sturdy. That particular 'combo tool' doesn't really exist.
So buy a good Coleman folding shovel ($15), a good Fiskars folding saw ($12) and a decent hatchet ($8) individually and keep them in your car trunk for an emergency.

But don't be fooled into wasting your money on any Rothco product.

Hope this is helpful, and saves people money and frustration of ordering and discovering you have bought an overpriced flea market toy.
on September 15, 2013
Let's start with the box:
- Pickaxe is spelled wrong.
- Saw is capitalized for no reason.
- Bolt is spelled Bott.
- It says that you push in a ball on the bolt to change tools. You don't. The bolt has a very thing cotter pin in it.
Good indication of the quality to be found inside.

The carry bag:
- Will probably wear out quickly, we shall see.
- The axe/hammer/stake puller is on the front in another pouch. The strap to hold it in is so loose that I wouldn't trust attaching the setup to the outside of anything.

The tool itself:
- Again, the bolt to change it is held in with a cotter pin. I intend on changing this asap.
- The axe head is extremely small and not sharp at all. It'll probably only be good as a hammer.
- The pick doesn't seem too bad.
- The saw is pretty small and shaky.
- The shovel is the only part that looks good. I'll probably end up only using it for that.

For the price it isn't worth it at all. You can go to a surplus store and get a military issue folding shovel for half the price.
on July 24, 2012
My boyfriend purchased this as a survival tool for hiking and camping. The first time we used it to nail in a camping stake the hammer/hatchet bent! Not to mention the tube it's connected to is hollow and a piece of junk. Don't waste you money here!
on July 4, 2012
I didnt expect high quality for the price, but i did expect it to work. the shovel is smaller than i expected, about the same size as a hand held garden spade. the saw and axe had to be sharpend. it comes with a cotter pit that has to be bent to be used, i replace it with a clevis pin. i had to alter the handle and axe head because the hole was too small for the handle. and i wouldne even used the hammer for tent stakes in sand. a little quality control would go a long way on this one. the cary bag is good, not great, just good
on August 26, 2011
OK, I was not expecting a milspec quality product, but I was hoping for something that could cut through a piece of meat. Seriously, this thing could not possibly be flimsier and be made of metal. The saw is so flimsy it bends in one's hand. The "hatchet" head is about as sharp as scissors we had in 3rd grade (and could run with). The case is super-thin material. This is good to give your kid to play with on the beach. Do not count on it for any real-life tasks.

See 1 answered question