Fifa 08 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$13.29 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 13, 2007
I've been looking forward to this release, since Fifa '06 is the last game I need to whip out my GameCube controllers for.

Pros:
1) Innovative use of Wii gestures. I'm really pleased with the control made possible through gestures. Passing accurately to players across the field, dribbling and tricks are very flexible, much more so than just flicking the C-stick to activate random tricks.

2) AI is great. I like the fact that, rather than just tackling or slide tackling, you can shove players, lunge, etc.

3) With the beginner mode and the Footii games, my wife will actually play this with me (a first).

4) I like the fact that the computer will actually commit fouls, and now will even substitute players.

5) The Soccer Academy is a great idea, really making it possible to gain fluency with the new controls. In general there is much more description of features than in past versions of the game.

Cons:

1) Despite the greater flexibility with Wii gestures, I really wish the Shoot gesture was accompanied by a button. Often times the player doesn't shoot until the 2nd or 3rd swing of the remote, and often that's too late. There are also two types of shots available by swinging the remote up or down, but no matter which direction I swing the remote, all my shots are "finesse shots".

2) No manager mode. Ouch.

3) The goal keepers are absolutely atrocious. If you do actually get the remote to recognize a shot, the goal keeper almost never stops it. The computer goalie has actually thrown the ball to my striker several times. When I control my own goalie, I can't seem to get him to go the direction I want (I'll swing the remote right and he'll go left). Perhaps I just need to practice more.

4) No manager mode. I know.

5) No standard practice mode. I really liked throwing the training jerseys on in scrimmage mode. Especially with the new controls it would be great to have this environment to practice.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the game. I really hope there will be improvements with the next version, such as, I don't know, adding a manager mode? Just a thought...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2007
I bought this game thinking it will be weird to handle on the Wii. Well I was wrong, this game is really intuitive and lots of fun, one of the closes experiences to the old glorious ISSS of, and that's saying a lot.
If you are a futbol (Football, as American Football should be called handball) fan and have a Wii, buy this game.
on November 18, 2007
Pros:
Great controls. There's a simple option for the novice player, but endless variability in the advanced mode.
A plethora of teams and leagues to play.
Online play.
I really enjoyed the challenge mode where you can play various scenarios.
Unlockable items such as kits, balls, stadiums.

Cons:
It would be nice if there was a simple tournament mode, where you could set up 16 teams and play an open round then elimination. I think you can unlock such a feature, but it takes a while.
Can't create your own teams or players and pit them against your favorite team.
No training mode. There is a tutorial to help you learn the controls, but I would have liked to choose what I practice, like corner kicks and defense.
Lacks an overall cohesive goal. Is the main venue online play?, league mode?, tournaments?
on October 11, 2007
I was waiting on this game and knew that I would get the Wii version since I'm not ready to plunk down the extra change for the Xbox 360. Knew of course that the graphics were not going to match the level of the Xbox 360, but what was produced for the Wii was definitely better than I expected.

The gameplay is what really made this version enjoyable; the easier FamilyPlay mode which only uses the Wii remote is a great way to start before hooking up the nunchuck to play in Advanced mode. FIFA08 makes excellent use of the motion sensing capabilities of the Wii. It may seem trivial, but having to lift both hands overhead and go through the motions for a throw-in was cool. My arm also became a little sore from flicking the remote for way too many sliding tackles which resulted in way too many yellow cards during my first game. (An added bonus was, as a Man Utd supporter, having the console pick Liverpool as my first opponent.)

The extra FootiiParty games with Ronaldinho are a nice side addition. "Serious" gamers may scoff at them, but they look like something fun to play with younger children or other more casual game players.
on June 27, 2008
I think it is unfair for the people who only rented this game to state that this is a bad game. You need to master the controls before you can enjoy the real fun.
At the beginning, it is really hard to shoot by swinging the remote, you always want to push a button, I know. But after practice, you will get used to it and love it. In a situation that you can either pass the ball or shoot, you can easily achieve what you want to do without worrying about smashing the wrong button.
Playing against computer is boring after a while. You should play online with anyone or play with friends locally. I have friends coming over when we got time and can easily play hours without a break. There are so many teams you can choose and you can unlock two great teams.
I think the game runs really smooth and playing it is rewarding when you grasp the control, trust me, you will love it.
on November 8, 2007
I think that the new controls added to the game, specificly the wii remote and nunchuck make the game a totally new way of playing video games, and fifa 08 its not the exception, i been playing fifa since 1997 and believe me that 10 years have past very fast!!!!!
i highly recomend the people to at least rent this game and try the new controls, like any other game you need to get use to the controls, once you are ready you would not stop playing.
The special addition or the special feauture for the wii, gives you the oportunity to play other games, or mini games, with your favorite mii its really cool.
give it a try!!
on April 12, 2008
Great game!! I bought this for my 9 yr old son for his Wii. He'd been playing his other soccer games for playstation, this is his first "bought" game outside of the games that come with the bundle. He said it is a little more difficult than the playstation (controls), but he picked up on it pretty quick. I would definately recommend.
on November 6, 2007
I had played several computer versions of the FIFA games and the Wii version is very different in many ways. It is fun to control many things with the Wii control that gives you a sense of being in the game, however, I think that the graphics could be better. Still, it is a fun game, difficult to master, but I will keep on working on it.
on November 21, 2007
Takes a bit to learn all the controls (they have a great training mode for this) but once you do it is just an awesome game. The only thing I wish it had more of, is the cheering fans that you hear at English Football (soccer) games. It needs more of the non-stop singing and screaming, but otherwise the game rocks.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well, let's get straight to the problems I have with this game:

1) No manager mode. If you're not familiar with football/soccer games, manager mode is basically the same as Franchise Mode on Madden and Dynasty Mode on NBA Live. There's added depth when this is available on soccer games because the top leagues across the globe sport a primary and secondary league and you can take a team from a secondary league and advance them from (making this familiar via baseball) the minors to the big leagues. You can also transfer players, acquire players on loan, loan out, and watch as your players develop (actually progress or regress in stats) during the course of one or several seasons. None of that is here for 08 on the Wii.

2) No create players feature. Some people don't care at all about this type of feature, but I think it adds a nice element of depth to any sports game. Nothing like creating you and your mates, throwing yourselves on a national team, setting up a custom tournament, and playing the madness of 4 against the computer AI. Or there's always the fun of filling a horrible squad with yourself and your mates as you try to turn it into a respectable club. None of that here.

3) The graphics are very underwhelming. I wasn't expecting a whole lot here, because I know the Wii isn't a powerhouse, but come on...I have an HDTV and component cables and this looks slightly better than 07 on the PS2. Of course, when I played that I didn't have my current tv or component cables, so I'm wondering if there's really much of a difference at all. It looks a bit cleaner during gameplay and you can tell the frame rate is better during animations, but the players still move like hunched over robots and some of them look nothing at all like their real-life counterparts. There have been a few animations now where players appear to have transparent hair, which just shows laziness from a design standpoint. I know there's only so much that can be done on the Wii, but I've played a couple of games now that look leagues ahead of this one and I suspect EA is more to blame for this than the console itself.

4) The gameplay is...okay. I have to pause before saying okay, because that's now unsure I am of that statement. I think EA did a decent job utilizing the wiimote and nunchuk, but there should be multiple control schemes available. Yes, there's the advanced and family play, but for a serious sports fan family play is just a joke and I don't see myself ever using it unless I happen to lose a hand or something of that nature. I'm saying there should be options for different schemes within the advanced play. It's a bit awkward when you're attacking and you want to signal the players you aren't controling to charge downfield, but the button to send them running happens to be next to the sprint button you're already holding down.

5) The Footii Party games add about 10 minutes of extra fun to the game. Seriously, could EA have not spent some time adding features with real depth to the game instead of this nonsense? The three games are less involved than any of the Wii Sports games. It's obvious now that they focused on promoting this feature to gloss over everything the game is missing, but at best this is just a cute side item and shouldn't be ever considered as an actual reason to purchase this game. I was looking forward to trying them out and then, as I was playing them, found myself sarcastically thinking, 'Wow.'

6) Audio options. It's been nice in the past few years to see the wide selection of songs EA puts into its sports games. What's been even better is having the option to disable the more annoying songs so your ears don't have to ever be assaulted by them again. There's no tracklist here, let alone the ability to pick which ones you'll actually hear.

7) The stripped down profile. Yeah, I'm a football geek. In the past I've really enjoyed browsing the in depth stats of my profile to see how many goals I've scored, given up, when I've scored them, average rating of my opponents, etc. You can't view any of that here. You can't even name your profile. You get a generic Profile1 and so on.

8) Limited use of national squads. You can use national squads in a Kick-Off (Play Now) setting, but you can't use them in a tournament. So you set up a 16 team group and knockout tourney. All you have to do is fill it with national squads and you have yourself a mock World Cup. But wait! You can't! That's really freaking awesome, EA. Thanks so much.

There's really no end to the sarcastic thank you's EA deserves for this joke of a game. The good things about it are it looks a bit nicer than the PS2 version, having online play is nice, the AI is better than in past years, it's nice having the ability to customize formations, the Soccer Academy is a nice way to get to know the new controls, and...yep, that's it. Definitely not enough to warrant $50. Even if this game had cost $20 I'd come away from it asking, 'Where's the good version?'

More than anything, this game has made me look forward to (with no lack of impatience) the realease of Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer early next year on the Wii and hope it's better than this lark of a football game, although I don't know how it couldn't be. If you haven't already wasted your money on this game, I'd advise you to do the same.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...