Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on October 21, 2010
I have probably bought 6 different ankle braces in a never-ending quest to find the perfect one. My wife makes fun of me about this every time I bring a new one home. I used an uncomfortable ankle brace with stiff plastic rods in it for a long time, before I finally bought the McDavid based on a recommendation from a basketball buddy. Then I decided to buy this one for comparison. They have exactly the same design with a few minor differences, and both work extremely well to stabilize the ankle without being uncomfortable. The McDavid is a bit more bulky, and has something like 9 sets of eyelets to lace up, which takes a while to tighten/loosen. It also felt a bit tight in the forefoot initially, although that has improved with breaking in, to the point where it no longer bothers me. The ASO has a smaller profile and only has 6 sets of eyelets to tighten/loosen, which makes it easier to use. I like them both, and now use one on each ankle. I prefer the ASO for ease of use, but the difference between the two is minor.
88 comments|244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I received one of these at the sport med clinic that I was an intern at. I have a chronically weak/lax ankle from multiple sprains over the years and cannot play sports without it braced. In addition, I have been working in the sports med field for 5 years... I have seen a tried several braces, but I found the ASO to provide the the best combination of support, comfort, and flexibility of any that I've worn. If I had my way, I'd tape my ankle everytime, but this brace comes close to the same type of support. If worn correctly (not too tight or too loose), this brace provides great support. I don't recommend this for acute injuries or sprains, but does provide great added support for chronically weak or lax ankles. Proper application of this brace is important...

One thing to remember is that the most common ankle injury is an inversion sprain, so I always recommend that you tighten the outside strap last... That is key to helping prevent "rolling over" on the ankle. Anyone who's sprained their ankle this way knows exactly what I'm talking about.
0Comment|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2010
I have been playing soccer for over 20 years with a long stint playing basketball. During my basketball career once or twice a year I would roll one of my ankles really bad coming down from a jump. I quit basketball long ago, but it caused me to be plagued with bad ankles ever since and they started coming back playing indoor soccer in the last couple years. I have been taping them each game, but with two games a week this becomes a long tedious process and I can't tell you how much I have spent buying sport tape.

So I decided to check if there were any really good ankle wraps. I needed something light, easy to put on, and very supportive. I read the reviews and decided to buy both the ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis (size large--I wear size 11 shoes) and the McDavid Lightweight Ankle Brace because both reviewed very favorably. After 4 games wearing both, I have to pick the ASO as the clear winner for me. There are a few less lace loops to cinch in the ASO, which makes it easier to put on. The tongue of the ASO is a lil stretchy with helps for a comfortable fit. And with the extra straps around the outside the whole thing just feels tighter and more protective.

I do have to note that both are very protective as I have not rolled my ankles in either. I just felt the ASO gives a lil more protection and support with a much more comfortable fit. My shin guards fit a lil better over the McDavid's though, but I found that just pushing the guard up an inch or so higher worked better. The McDavid's also started rubbing on the back of my ankle above my heel. To be fair this could be my fault for not tightening them again after I warmed up...which I definitely recommend.

So after the trials I decided to by a 2nd ASO and I await its delivery as we speak. So for all you soccer players with bad ankles, I highly recommend the ASO!
44 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2011
This is the third type of brace have bought in the 5 weeks following a moderate ankle sprain. I had tried a simple compression brace and a neoprene brace with straps. Neither provided enough support and both would cut off circulation to the heel. The ASO brace provides plenty of support and has never cut off circulation to any part of my foot. It does limit range of motion a bit (to be expected) but I run in it regularly with no noticeable impact. I use it with and without socks and have never received any annoying rubs, pokes, or blisters.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2012
My son has a history of rolling ankles in sports (soccer and tennis.) At age 16 (last year), he seriously rolled his ankle during a high-school tennis match and it swelled like a half orange on the side of his foot. The orthopedist said he was out for the season. For a few days, it was rested/iced. Then, it was heavily taped for a week to hit balls until the brace arrived. After that, he wore only the brace. Within two weeks, he was able to play a competitive match. (Oh to be young and a quick healer.) This brace is very well made. It gives the same feeling of having your ankle taped by a sports trainer. Very snug but comfortable. Also, it is thin enough below the shoe level to allow the foot to fit into your existing shoes. It is now four months later and my son has asked that I purchase a second brace for his other foot as a precaution. This tells me the brace is comfortable, easy to use and effective. To put it bluntly, if you have a problem with weak ankles, rolls, etc. and you buy another brace, you've screwed up. This brace is the answer. Sizing is important. For sizing, the manufacturer's website and use the chart based on shoe size.
on November 6, 2015
I sprained my ankle so badly and when I was ready to put pressure on it again I bought this wrap. I went off the recommendations here. I will add my 5 stars to this. Unlike other bandages this one has 3 ways to secure your ankle and make it feel super stabilized. Even the orthopedist I saw said that it most closely resembled the ones the offer at his office. It's not a super low profile but it will fit in your sneaker. Probably not a flat or boot. Id use an ace wrap for that.
review image
on February 20, 2013
I'm a trail runner. I run year around: snow, rain, it doesn't matter. I've always had weaker ankles and would twist one about once every 4 months. It was really concerning. So I started researching ankle braces. I finally decided on these (the runner up being aircast). WOW!!! Seriously! I run with better form and with much more confidence! The support is great. It's only dug into me a few times, but only when I wear shorter socks. I've run 6 miles on wooded trails with these and they're fine. In the summer I get very sweaty under them but I'll take that over a twisted ankle any day.

While running, there have been many occasions where I step the wrong way or step half on a rock I didn't see. I say to myself "that would have been a twisted ankle if I wasn't wearing these."

Let me just end by saying this: Your stabilizer muscles will need to be trained if you continuously run with these. Every time I run I wear these. I love them that much. So I use a balance board and jump rope a lot to keep my ankle stabilizers in shape.
on November 19, 2013
I love these ankle braces...After many serious ankle injuries from competitive basketball. My ankles have and require full time wearing of protection. These braces by ASO are fantastic! I wear on both ankles to protect from any injury and let me tell you they are amazing! I have suffered from always hating braces because I felt as though my mobility and first step was hampered by a brace. However this is not the case with these---I feel as though I have full protection while playing as hard as I can. I play 4 times a week and wash them every other day. I purchased these in the middle of July 2013 it is now November 2013 and they are holding up to rigorous use and multiple washes. I couldn't recommend them enough for anyone that plays hard ball.

Also I wear a size 12 shoe and the medium fits me pretty much spot on. I went to the manufacture's website to see the size I needed and I actually measured my foot in the way they show in the diagram (on ASO website)
on March 21, 2015
Love this brace. After visiting my physician and discovering I easily sprain my ankle, he recommended I wear a brace while at work.

Working in EMS, I wear boots 12 hours a day and am all the time bending and twisting in weird ways. This brace immediately gave my ankle support and alleviated the pain I've been dealing with for weeks now.

The brace fits snug enough to fit under my boots, a concern I had when ordering.

I wear a size 12 shoe and consider my feet to be decently wide, so I ordered an XL.

Buy some Febreze to spray on it between uses, it gets a little stinky after a few uses.
review image review image
on September 5, 2008
- not as flexible as an ace for range of motion, but gives more support and is more adjustable than your shoes - has laces and velcro straps.
- for initial treatment of a sprain I found the air cast gave more relief from pain and adequate support, however once I was up and walking around I wanted the aso to make sure I didn't turn my foot the wrong way again.