Mr. Heater Hose with Regulator and Quick Disconnect for Big Buddy Heater #F271803
Item Package Quantity: 1Change
Price:$34.46 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 9, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1
I was confused about the hose options so I contacted Mr. Heater to get the scoop. I have not actually used the hose myself (so the 4 star was arbitrary...seems like this is the way to go, tho'), but I wanted to share what the company said. (Please note that the product manuals for the Mr Buddy heaters are available on their website at the specific product link). My initial question and the company response follow, including the contact info for the company rep that sent me the information:

Initial question to Mr. Heater:
amazon.com advertizes that the plasticizer-free green hose(f273704) can be used with both the portable buddy and big buddy, but I don't see it listed in the big buddy manual. Is it compatible with both? Also, is the quick disconnect hose (F271803) compatible with both the big buddy and the portable buddy? Does this hose require use of a fuelfilter? If no, why not? Is it made of materials that will not degrade like the f273704 hose?

Response from Mr. Heater:
When you connect any of our Buddy model heaters to a remote propane tank, that tank can have over 120 PSI of pressure inside it.
This high pressure in the rubber hose connected to the heater can squeeze a plasticizer or an oil out of the rubber in the hose and once it gets into the heater it is trapped and will plug up the tubes and cause the heater to be an unreliable unit.

We came up with a fuel filter to prevent this oily substance from getting into the heater when using a high pressure hose.

The hose manufacturers came up with a hose that doesn't have the plasticizers in it so NO filter is needed (our part number for this plasticizer hose is F273704).
BUT the draw back with this hose is with no plasticizers in the rubber it causes the hose to be very stiff especially in cold weather. So you don't need the filter but you have to work with a hose that doesn't like to straighten out or is more difficult to work with because of this stiffness.

As far as the hose with the quick coupler, this is only available to be used on the Big Buddy MH18B heaters. The Big Buddy has two built in regulators but also has a male quick coupler built-in that by-passes these two regulators so if you have a regulated propane supply like in an RV or your house, you can use our hose to connect to this low pressure source (all low pressure is less than 1/2 PSI of pressure).

We also have a hose for the Big Buddy that has the quick coupler connection to the heater and a regulator at the connection to the propane tank, like on a barbeque grill.
Because the regulator is mounted directly to the propane tank it reduces the very high 110 PSI of pressure from the tank to the low 1/2 PSI pressure. Because this pressure is so low it will not be able to squeeze out the oily plasticizers from the rubber in the hose and does not need a fuel filter.

Bradford Austin
[...]
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
This hose costs more than the one without the regulator. However, it has several advantages that have been confirmed by Mr. Heater (I called them):

1) The regulator keeps the pressure coming from the tank into the hose at a very low level, which is safer.

2) You do NOT need to purchase a fuel filter with this hose. The regulator prevents oils from leaving the propane tank and entering your heater where it could do damage. Although you pay more for this hose up front, you don't have to buy fuel filters periodically, which are required with the other hose that doesn't have the regulator.
on January 12, 2012
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
This is the best option for your Mr. Heater Big Buddy, and I'll tell you why, and I'll give you a useful tip.

USEFUL TIP:
When you first connect this, and try to fire up your heater, You will be surprised at how long it takes to light your heater. Because it is 12', and because the gas is regulated to a very low pressure at the tank side of the hose, IT TAKES A FULL 90 SECONDS FOR THE PROPANE TO FILL THE HOSE AND REACH THE PILOT LIGHT. I have tried it seasonally four times now. It is not 70 seconds. Not 80. It is 90. Every. Time. I suggest you connect, open the propane tank, twist your knob and hold it down (prime) for 80 sec before you even try to light it with a new hose. Don't be tricked by a very faint smell of propane, it will take 90 seconds. Have I driven the point hard enough? But only need to do this priming once a season; I can swap out propane tanks and will not need to repeat the 90s priming.

PROS OF THIS HOSE:

- it has a pressure regulator on the hose at the tank side, which is why it costs more, but the regulator offers a consistent 1/2psi of pressure to your heater.

- the low pressure is safer in case of propane leakage in the system (hose, heater, element). You are less likely to have leaks with lower pressure.

- the low pressure means that your hose will not leech the rubber oils that ruin so many people's Big Buddy. You don't need a filter at the heater side because there is no leeching.

- powers the heater on full for a long, long time.

- has a great, easy to hookup fast connector for the heater. Face your heater, open the tank compartment on your left, and look for the 4" shiny connector dropping down from the top behind the in-built regulator hookup for the small 1lb tank. That's where you connect.

- using this, you spare your internal connectors and regulators for when you go mobile. Eventually, regulators get used, gummy, or go bad. If you use this hose, your internal regulators last longer.

- when you shut off the propane from the tank, the heater dies out very quickly. I understand that with the high-pressure hose, it takes a while for the propane in the hose to burn off.

CONS:

- costs more than high-pressure hose. Seems like a lot of cash for a hose.

- the regulator may eventually gum up. Mine has. I used it every workday in my home office for 14 months (that's a lot), and now found my heater was cutting out when on the highest setting. So I bought a new hose like this, and instantly my heater is working 100% again. But instead of gumming up my internal regulators (and ruining the whole heater) I wore out the cheaper hose.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2008
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I chose this quick disconnect hose instead of the hose that connects to the heater's regulator because this hose is equipped with a regulator at the bulk tank end thus reducing the hose pressure to a much safer 1/2 lb. psi. This hose also has a built in filter in the regulator eliminating the purchase of an additional filter.

Preventing 5 stars is the cramped quick connection in the Mr. Heater which points straight down. It would be nice if the quick disconnect also had a swivel outward like the heater's two regulators.

Also you must hold the pilot button for about 90 seconds to allow the gas to travel the length of the 12' hose to reach the heater.

Otherwise I'm pleased wih the product because it allows connection to a large supply of propane which you will need when operating Mr. Heater on high. Also the cost of propane when purchased in 20 lbs. is much cheaper than the 1 lb bottles.

***Ooops, my bad! Correct, this product does not have a filter as a filter is not required with this product. The regulator does its job by lowering pressure, thus making a filter unnecessary.***
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2009
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
The connection works great, it was a little confusing at first because I thought you connected it to the same area as the small tanks, but on closer inspection I found the "quick connect" fitting inside and behind the other connection, after that it was a snap.
on December 4, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I recently purchased Mr Heaters hose assembly made up with the low pressure regulator and the quick disconnect. When I first installed the hookup to my Big Buddy heater I got no pilot. After rechecking my connections it was clear one has to be very careful to fully install the quick disconnect and give it a pull when connected to see that the fitting is all the way up when installed on the coupler (tight area for a big hand). After installing properly the hose assembly worked great. I checked for leaks and had my leak detector right below the quick disconnect to see if any gas was escaping. Since I really don't trust quick disconnects from leaks, I watched this area very closely.Next I ran the assembly through all range settings on the heater to insure I was getting enough gas and no leaks at a higher output. Again everything worked great. I am quite satisfied with my hookup and the reason for the 4 stars was the hose is made stiff to prevent oils etc from getting through to the heater. This is not a big deal for this temperature 55° but in extremely cold weather it will be a bit of a pain I can live with by keeping it warm until after I hook it up. The only additional add on I purchased was the 6 volt AC fan hookup onto the back of my big buddy. Since I use a large inverter this is a sweet surprise, no more D batteries.
I hope this will help someone decide on the hose hookup.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2014
Item Package Quantity: 1
A brand new regulator was leaking gas right at the bottle - a wonderful setup to blow up your house/garage....
Hooked it up to two different bottles to make sure it wasn't the bottle - same result on both, a hissing sound, good smell of gas and with the soap test, plenty of cute bubbles right at the plastic screw that ties this to the bottle.

I never, ever, no matter how cheap / Chinese made junk connector I bought, a propane bottle connector that leaked out of the box. I can live with such a crappy quality if it was a water hose - with gas the fun ends.

I highly recommend staying away as far as you can from this product. There seems to be zero quality control and zero concern about consumer safety at this manufacturer.

Update - I went through THREE of them now, the fourth is on its way, but I honestly have zero hopes that the next one might be working...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 13, 2009
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
If you have a Buddy Heater, this item is a must have. The buddy heaters work off of three different sources:1lb, 20lb and 100lb containers. The 1lb containers connect directly with the heater. The 20 and 100lb tanks need an adapter and either a regulator or filter. First, realize the price difference and waste of using 1lb tanks. Your two options for connecting to the 20lb and 100lb tanks are either this adapter hose/regulator kit that stores neatly on the underside of the Big Buddy Heater or to buy the adapter and a filter piece seperatly.

A 1lb tank costs almost $10 a pop.
A 20lb tank costs almost $20 to refill ($1 for 1lb)
- the 20lb tank costs $40 if you need to buy the tank as well
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
This is a must have item the the Big Buddy Heater. It saves time and money. It is very easy to connect/disconnect to the heater. The 12 ft hose is a good length for my uses, I heat my two car garage with the heater ( very toastey). If you decide to get this product, read the directions and be sure to turn both the gas tank and heater on for a minute or so without trying to ignite the heater. This gives the gas time to travel the length of the hose to supply the heater. If you don't do this you will be cursing your heater while you hit the ignite button a hundred times.
on November 8, 2014
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
Didn't work. Tried the whole turning it on slowly thing and all the other stuff I read about but still wouldn't work.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations