Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MindWare Pattern Play
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. Both like to play with this and make different patterns. It is a great learning tool to show sizing, fractions and spacial relationships.
It is beautifully made with vibrant colors. As my children go through different stages, the quality and style of the patterns they create changes. It is a great toy for them to use alone or with an adult.
I would highly recommend this.
on January 2, 2011
This puzzle has a lot of limitations. The pieces don't fit well in the frame and so everything shifts when you're trying to build a picture. The idea cards are nice, I think they cover every possible puzzle combination. If you're looking for creativity for your child, look at the Hape mosaic puzzle. Many more possibilities and much more fun and interesting to play with. I would not buy this again nor would I recommend it.
on December 8, 2010
EDIT: Reduced my rating to 3 stars - the loose pieces make this fairly frustrating. I spent more time with the toy along with my 3 year old, and even I felt it disappointing that the pieces kept moving so freely. They should have made the board much smaller and tighter (hint to MindWare in case they check their reveiws).

Recently bought this from Amazon for my kid who turned 3 recently. But so far my 6 year old has been having more fun with it. I thought it would be too easy/boring for her, but she is enjoying making all the different patterns (she loves coloring/drawing a lot, so that might explain the interest). Not sure if her interest would continue when she has finished all 40 pattern cards. Once you get the concept, there is not much novelty left, so I am expecting boredom to set in soon.

I have tried to do some patterns with a 3 year old - he finds it interesting, but not great because the pieces don't fit tight. The board where you put pieces is half an inch bigger on each side than needed. I understand they have to leave some space, but this is way too much, so the pieces keep moving while he is trying to put new pieces, and this causes frustration. He likes to do puzzles where pieces just fit together and stay put, so this is kind of unacceptable.

Overall thoughts:
- interesting toy for kids who love coloring/drawing
- Probably better for 4-5 year olds with better fine motor skills
- Not as good for younger kids
- Not very well designed - should be more snug fit
- Not too many variations - once you get the trick, most of the challenge will be gone
on December 27, 2007
This is a wonderful product for children of all ages. Your child will use creative problem solving skills to see how many different ways they can get this puzzle to fit in the square. They will also have fun just making freeform designs with all the colorful shapes. I also have an elderly mother that has mild dementia and this is a teriffic puzzle to keep her brain working and entertained, so again, it is for all ages. Don't be surprised if you find yourself on the floor playing with it along side of your child.
on December 8, 2010
I love the concept of this toy. Really educational and wood is always nice, when there are so many plastic toys out there. However, it has one BIG flaw...

When all of the puzzle pieces are in the frame, it doesn't fit snugly. They shift around, which is soooooo annoying. There is quite a bit of room between the edges of the pieces and the frame. I just don't get why they would have made it this way??

I never return stuff to Amazon, but I'm definitely returning this! I had high hopes for this toy...oh well.
on January 3, 2010
I bought this toy as a Christmas gift and it was a huge hit with children ages 2 - 11. The two year old liked to build "castles" and line up the blocks by color. The 11 year old liked to make the complex suggested patterns. We taught the 3 year old how to make squares out of 2 triangles, right angles, how to select the longest/tallest block, how to select the right color and how to fit the pieces together as we helped her make the patterns. I did not play with the 5 year olds but their dad did and said they loved it. It is the perfect educational and fun toy. It allows for creativity but in a very orderly manner. I would recommend it to anyone.
on December 17, 2014
This is a wonderful toy for building thinking skills and manual dexterity. I got it for my 4 and 6 year old grandchilden and they like to play with it but need adult support. It is rather complicated in that the pieces each have 45 degree angles on one side and must be used in different configurations in order to copy the patterns given. But we are finding that with practice they are both becoming more competent at replicating the patterns and their enjoyment level is increasing with practice. I would say that with adult support this is a wonderful toy which leads to lots of discussions about patterns, size, shapes, and is very interactive. Refreshing qualities for a toy today. I definitely recommend it for parents who enjoy engaging their young ones and teaching them the many skills that will enhance their learning in school.
on April 16, 2013
So far my husband and I have had fun with this game -- can't wait till our son is old enough to join in on the fun. There are 40 pattern cards, but there's no reason why you can't make your own patterns. The blocks come with a canvas carrying pouch. The pieces fit inside of a nice wooden base. This will be great to develop fine motor skills, creativity and even mathematical skills.
on July 30, 2012
This toy is fun for my 2-year old and my 8-year old as well; the little one can stack and arrange the pieces freely; the included pattern cards challenge my 8-year old to arrange the pieces in fun patterns.
The quality of the finish is a little off on some of the pieces (thus, the 4-star rating) which affects their appearance but there are no sharp edges, the colors are bright and vivid and the included tray and storage bag are great!
on February 27, 2013
This product has proved to be very engaging for our early 3-4 year old. Our daughter is in Montessori preschool and they do other block work. Our daughter is very into puzzles and such. There are a set of 4x4 display cards in the box with different patterns which the child is to replicate in the frame provided. (Same size as the box.) Colors are vibrant, blocks are correct size for size of hands to manipulate. Ends are not square cut- so child must orientate correctly to connect. (Think picture frame, 45 degree corners)Our daughter has great sense of pride of accomplishment when showing papa her finished work and the display card. Only drawback is that there is no plastic slip cover to hold all the blocks when storing away- only the box cover. I foresee the box cover getting alot of tears, nicks, etc. Especially when our 1.5 year old tries to 'help' older sister...
Definately happy with purchase, would give as gift for close friend, and recommend without reservation. Focus is fantastic for child's concentration, patience, matching, comparing, self-correction (can see if pattern does not match).