Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

The Lion King
Format: DVDChange
Price:$49.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Disney's The Lion King is finally available on DVD. Considered the cream of the crop of all the Disney animated features by many, it is definitely worth owning. I don't think I'll go into the story, which I'm sure most of you know. Chances are you've already seen the movie and are just waiting to own it on a piece of media that won't rot like your VHS tape that probably fell apart by now. Even if Disney released a sub par release of this movie, you'd buy it.
Luckily, this is one of the best releases ever.
Video and Audio is supreme in this release. Especially vibrant is the 5.1 sound. Of all the older Disney releases, this one benefits the most I think, with the powerful music and sound effects present in this release. Hearing James Earl Jones as Mufasa blaring in thunderous 5.1 sound is quite amazing. Likewise the excellent music, such as the opening Circle of Life. Present in this release is the original theatrical version as well as a version with new music/song. I actually didn't care for the new song, but some may. The extras are quite numerous, contained on a second DVD and are mentioned in Amazon's product details...I haven't had the time to go through them yet, so I cannot comment on the extras. I just watched the movie again. To be honest, the movie would be worth it as a single disc release so I'm happy as it is.
Some interesting trivia for some of the people who are not aware of it is that The Lion King seemed to be heavily "influenced" by an old Japanese anime, Kimba The White Lion. Those wishing to see the "similarities" would do well to check out that series as it has also been released on DVD. Carbon copying aside, I do love the Lion King. It still manages to grab you whether you are 4 years old or 40. Two thumbs up!!
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 1999
After the movie Little Mermaid came out, Disney would make 3 other animated masterpieces: Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King, that would change the way we looked at animated films, somthing new, something wonderful.But of all these 4 great animated films, in my opinion The Lion King was the greatest. The music was just, beautiful, and Scar was probably the most EVIL Disney villain the was ever drawn on a piece of paper.You hated him, but you almost liked him, because he was so great. But probably the best part of the movie was Simba's pal's Pumbaa and Timon, the BEST Disney characters EVER!!! The scene where Timon was doing the hula, I thought I was going to die from laughing. Anybody from toddler to 10 year old to 60 year from boy to old woman to teenager and so forth will, without a doubt, LOVE this movie, everyone.
on October 22, 2011
I own a quite a few 3D movies, so perhaps my expectations were too high, but despite some stellar reviews on the 3D on this product by some other reviewers, I have to tell you the quality is FAR less than made-for-3D movies such as Despicable Me.

Do you remember those "3D" games/cartoons where the "3D" effect as you were supposedly either walking, or in a car, going along the road was the part closest to you moved slow, then there was a part in the middle that moved a bit faster, and then the part near the top of the screen moved the fastest? This is only a step above that. It is more like layered 2D images than true 3D. Yes, there are a few parts where true 3D is apparent, but those are few and far between.

Sorry, I can't help but think that some of the people have either let their love of the movie color their perception of what good 3D looks like, or they simply do not have many 3D movies to compare to.

I actually found the 2D blu-ray disc, or even the regular dvd more appealing, or at least less distracting. One thing I noticed in all three versions that I didn't notice before was that the grass in the movie doesn't move when the animals walk through it. Although I didn't pick up on this when I saw the movie when it first came out, it was one of the things that was painfully apparent in the 3D, and far less apparent in the 2D versions.

And, yes, I know there are people that will disagree with me and mark my review as "not helpful", but I have to call it as I see it.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2000
I never thought that a simple Disney movie could make me cry, but actually, this one did. Don't ask me how, but it really happened, and the worst part is it happened again, and again and again.
This movie is probably better than all the other Disney movies. It is wonderfully drawn, better then any Disney animation. I never liked the fairy-tale Disneys, but this one... There are no words for its absolute great class...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 1999
This movie was and still is the best animated movie of all time.it tells the story of Simba,a lion prince who "just can't wait to be king", he was having a great life in the pride lands where he lived until his father,Mufassa is killed by a set up stampede.simba,blaming himself runs away and meets Timon the merecat and Pumba the wart hog.they live together until simba's old childhood friend shows up and says that Simba's uncle Scar is..........i shouldent give away too much of the movie.if you've seen this movie you'll probobly want to buy it and mabee even buy "The lion king #2 Simba's pride" which is also a really good movie.
on August 6, 2000
Although it might be accused of plot similarities to "Bambi", The Lion King stands on it's own as the best animated film of Disney's silver age save for "Beauty and the Beast".
It starts off with the greatest opening sequence in animation history, which already must rank within the top ten moments in all animation, period. Disney has since tried to match it in "Dinosaurs", but it remains unequalled. The inimitable "Circle of Life" has no rival except "When you wish upon a star" as Disney mood-setting music.
The animals of the African plains pay homage to the new lion prince, Simba, at his birth. Already he has one strike against him in his father Mufasa's brother Scar, bitter because Simba is now the heir to the throne of the pridelands. While Simba and his friend Nala grow, Scar plots with hyena henchmen to dethrone Mufasa. Scar's moment comes in one devestating blow, managing to make the young cub stricken with guilt in the process.
Simba runs off and is saved from death by exposure to the elements by Pumbaa, a kind warthog, and Timon, his meerkat best friend. As an adult, he has forgotten his legacy until a now-grown Nala and Rafiki, his father's baboon best friend, remind him. He goes to face the hour of reckoning with Scar, his friends by his side.
The movie includes some of the best voicing work and dialogue in the Disney cannon, especially that of Scar - so evil as portrayed by Jeremy Irons that he actually drew a gasp from my jaded father - and Nathan Lane's Timon, who I feel will eventually take his place as Disney's greatest second banana (and no, I'm not forgeting the Seven Dwarves or Cinderella's mice). His now famous luau scene is Disney's supreme howler moment.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 2, 2003
Wow. I'm still getting over this wonderful and breathtaking journey that is the Lion King. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie's music, story, and spiffy characters. I recommened it to anyone who likes movies period. Charcaters such as Timon & Pumba bring in comedic relief, while more serious and awesome characters such as Mufasa help bring depth and feel to the story. I dont care if your 2, 16, 28, 50, or even 90 years of age, you'll simply fall in love with this movie. If you ask me what the best part of the entire movie was, i would have to say the blending of the music and picture that is presented in such a way that is captavating and breathtaking. Buy the soundtrack now....also try the Broadway soundtrack. This is Disney at it's finest. This is one of the greatest animated pictures of all time if not one of the greatest movies ever.
on July 12, 2005
The lion king, in my opinion, is one of the best films ever made. The story is beautiful and the characters are realistic. It is a visually stunning masterpiece which I feel is on a totally different level, apart from the animated fairy tales disney generally churns out (which are good, but just can't compete).

This DVD is impressive. The sound and animation have been remastered and are much more beautiful than the old VHS copies are. But I turned away from this for one reason: "The morning report" It is a shameless mockery of every level of seriousness in the movie. When I first saw it, I was disgusted with the way it pops up suddenly and destroyed the continuity in the film. I think it's the absolute worst disney song I've ever seen.

However, if you can ignore the song, then buy it. I believe it's being "put back into the disney vault" at the end of the year, so decide for yourself.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Lion King began as a B project at Disney Animation Studios where everywhere wanted to work at the next "hit" Pocahontas. Who would have known that it will become the highest grossing tradional animated film of all time? Who would have known it would win two oscars and three golden globes? Even more important, who would have known than this supposedly secondary project will become one of Disney's most treasured films and the epitome of the Disney Renaissance? Well that's because The Lion King is not your usual regular animated film. It's one of the best animated films ever made with a complex and great story, unforgettable characters, a superb score and great music that elevates it and proudly stands with the best films ever made.

I got to know the movie in my chiildhood when I was 4 years old and since then, The Lion King has been one of my favorite films. From its glourious beginning (which by the way I think is the best opening ever) to its final battle and resolution, the movie provides top-notch entertainment to everyone. The characters are great and stays with you and the film showcases one of the best villains that had graced the screen. Hans Zimmer score aided by Lebo M., is amazing, it just envelops you in the film's atmosphere and never let you go until the magnificent finale.

Finally, this classic has made its long awaited Blu-ray debut in Disney's premium Diamond Line and the results are spectacular!!

Video & Audio
WOW!! The Lion King looks absolutely breathtaking on HD. The transfer is immaculate with vivid colors, strong detail and amazing contrast. You will be amazed by how clear is the image and you'll discover new things that you have never seen.

The 7.1 DTS-HD MA is as strong and superb as its video counterpart. The sound is bombastic and really strong. Dialogue is clear and wait 'till you see the opening scene and you will be completely in awe. An amazing audio presentation.

Bonus Features
While this set is not as loaded as previous Diamond films like Beauty or Sniw White, there are still plenty of interesting stuff to watch.

"Disney Second Screen" allows you to sync the film with your ipad or laptop in order to see galleries, games, storyboards and more. While this is nice is does not work as good as it sounds.

You also have an audiocommentary with producer Don Hahn and directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff which is interesting to watch.

"Pride of The Lion King", which is the best bonus in this set, is a retrospective documentary about the production of the film. Many of the people involved share their thoughts of what the film meant to them and also how thd Broadway musical came to be. A must see!!

"The Lion King: A memoir- Don Hahn" Is a retrospective look by the producer whonlooks back at him in 1994 and how The Lion King came to be. Another must-see!!

"Deleted and alternate scenes" feature five deleted scenes introduced by the directors.

"The Morning Report" is a fully animated scene that was inserted in the film in the Platinum DVD but it now appears on its own. I think that is good because I did not like it at all.

"Bloopers & Outtakes" is a newly-created setof bloopers featuring the characters evocating the Pixar films. While this are funny, they are not as funny as the Pixar ones.

"Interactive Art Gallery" is a great compilation of character design images, storyboards, development, etc.

"Sing along mode" is the usual karaoke-like feature where you can sing the film songs.

"Disney's Virtual Vault" is the highly impractical online feature that houses all the material from the Platinum DVD. At least they included the material.

This set is the two disc BD/DVD combo which I think is the ideal release without paying for a gimmicky format and a pointless conversion.

A DVD copy is also included.

Closing Thoughts
The Lion King is a masterpiece and one of the best animated films ever made. Dealing with themes like death, loss, guilt, responsibility, love, family and more, this film stands tall as one of Disney's best films. This BD set is a perfect way to enjoy it with spectacular picture & sound and plenty of great bonus features that makes it one the best BD sets and is Very Highly Recommended!!
review image
on September 28, 2003
A wondrous film.
A top-notch DVD.
Disney's new Special Edition of "the Lion King" is both.
I was fortunate enough to receive an advance copy, and can say that it's one of the best DVDs in my collection, right up there with "Sleeping Beauty" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."
First off, my favorite part: they give you the choice of watching the movie with a new song, or (for the purists) the original theatrical version. I think that every special edition should offer that option!
Both are presented in stunning, crystal-clear DVD quality--and the film itself has been cleaned up to make you feel like you're seeing "the Lion King" for the first time.
The sound is incredible (especially if you have a decent audio setup), making you feel like you're right there on Pride Rock with Simba, Zazu and the rest. Elton John has never sounded better (unless you've actually been to one of his concerts), and it's thrilling to finally hear James Earl Jones on DVD as one of his most memorable characters.
It's always tough to decide whether or not to replace a VHS copy with DVD, but "the Lion King" Special Edition makes the answer obvious.
("Yes.")