Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 26, 2012
I'm using these cards with my 3 1/2 year old who is starting to learn to read. There are 54 cards, mostly 2-4 letter common words on the front and back, 108 words total. The package states that sight words don't follow phonics rules, but some of these words are arguably phonetic in pronunciation. Still they're good to review often as they're very common words and he should be able to pick up on them quickly when reading a book.

I'm also using them to help build sentences. Since he can't quite write the letters/words yet, the cards are laid out in a line to form a short sentence that he can sound out or pick up from memory. I also have a tabletop pocket chart from Smethport that they can fit into. These are used in addition to the level B and C set.

Here are the words included in this set:
a, all, am, and, are, at, ate, away, be, bed, big, black, blue, box, brown, but, came, can, car, cat, come, did, do, dog, down, each, eat, egg, find, fish, for, four, funny, get, go, good, have, he, help, here, I, in, into, is, it, leg, like, little, look, make, me, must, my, new, no, not, now, of, on, one, other, our, out, pig, play, pretty, ran, red, ride, ring, run, said, saw, say, see, she, so, soon, sun, that, the, there, they, this, three, time, to, too, top, toy, two, under, up, want, was, we, well, went, what, where, white, who, will, with, word, yellow, yes, you
66 comments|305 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2011
I have all three sets of these flash cards. My 1st Grader is now very excited about reading as the flashcards are more like a game to her than an actual task. The cards are very durable. I wish I would have purchased these last year when she was in Kindergarten.
on June 1, 2011
I just got these in the mail yesterday and have only played with them a couple times with my 5 year old daughter. She enjoyed playing with them and they have helped her learn a few new words so far. The only downside with them is that it might be difficult to separate the cards into piles of words she knows and words she doesn't because the words are printed on both sides of the cards. But for the price and the learning that your child gets out of it, that problem can be easily forgotten!
on March 25, 2014
These words are perfect for my 4.5 year old who is learning to read. The font is large, bold, and easy to read, perfect for review throughout the day: between play, while eating, while taking a bath, etc. She is making excellent progress by utilizing these cards. The included instructions were very helpful as well.

There are only a couple of things that keep this set from being exactly what I was looking for. The first is that the cards were slightly warped, which is only a problem because there are words printed on both sides of the cards. This means that I can't shuffle the cards like a traditional deck, which makes randomizing more difficult.

The cards being printed with different words on both sides also means that I can't use the Leitner system, especially if my daughter knows the word on one side, but needs more review on the other.

Overall, these cards serve their purpose, but could have been better.
VINE VOICEon June 7, 2013
I bought these cards for my first grader because for some reason making my own just didn't happen. I really, really like their size and they're high quality cards, but I really dislike that they're two sided with different words on each side. The only difference between the two sides it that the edge of one of the four corners is curved with the orientation of that side. It's not a good visual cue at all. Otherwise the sides are totally identical.

So unless you're going through all 108 words at the same time and don't want to remove cards that have gotten too easy, it's difficult to keep track of which ones you've done. I like to have a mix of familiar cards and unfamiliar ones and I just have a hard time organizing these.

They're good quality for the price, but they would be so much better if they were one sided.
on March 9, 2012
I bought these cards for my 3 year old! They are easy to read and use! He loves using them and is always asking to play with them! I will be purchasing the next two levels (B&C) once he masters level A.
on February 3, 2013
I didn't care for the 2 sided cards. I like the flash cards with the sentences on the back better. They are actually the same words, and I find them easier to use, and keep organized.
on March 17, 2014
I bought these for my 4-year-old to support reading and word identification. I like the thick quality card stock. When you're reading one word, you can't see bleed through from the word printed on the back, but...

Having the double sided cards is nice, but I like to separate out the words she knows from the words she doesn't. This is fine if she knows the word on one side, but if there was ever a card where both words needed work, I'd have to remember which card it was. I personally prefer a single-sided card. We also reached a point where she started memorizing the cards and she'd "read" the back side of the card before I even flipped it over.

Once she started memorizing, I gave up.

There's a rounded corner on one of the cards that allows you to consistently stack them into two sets of words, but the cutout is just a little too subtle to be of much use if you're quickly trying to flip the cards around.

The cards are fine. It sure beats making them myself.
on March 19, 2014
I was hoping these would be single sided cards. I like the quality, the rounded corners and the size of the typography BUT they're double sided, there are different words written on each side of the cards. This makes it difficult to separate the words my child knows from the ones he doesn't. We're using them for now, until we find single sided ones.
on August 20, 2015
My granddaughter needed help with her site words and these cards really made a difference. I had ordered A and tried to order B and C but could only get A and C, She was ready to move on to group B only after four times thru but unfortunately I couldn't order A, B and C at one time. So we have had to wait.