on October 30, 2008
We were excited to get our hands on this game as our boys, ages 5 and 6, really enjoy the original Wii Carnival. I think this Carnival is better suited to adults, and adults will find it more enjoyable. Graphics are improved. The game consists of courses (only three are unlocked at original play) that can be played in either single or multi-player mode. The three easy courses are opened for play first and include a farm theme, dinosaur theme (a house fave!) and a fairy tale theme. The courses are fun, and I find myself wishing they were real. :-) One of the more enjoyable aspects of game includes the fact there are mini-games in the holes when you enter a certain obstacle or area. In the farm area for example, heading into the hen house brings up a mini game of trying to catch eggs and coins in your basket. It's quite a hoot! The mini games aren't overly annoying, don't take too long (but long enough to grab a drink or snack), and break up the golf game. We've only had it for a short time and haven't unlocked the other courses, but the boys love spending their coins in the Pro Shop to purchase different golfing costumes. After the boys hit the sack, my hubby and I found ourselves challenging each other to a game or two. The only challenge we've had is getting the boys to understand how to increase or decrease the strength of their swing. It's a little awkward for the younger golfers at first, but they are getting it down. It doesn't stop them from enjoying the game or slow the game down. We can't wait to unlock the other courses! Have fun!
on November 7, 2008
I too have and enjoy the original Carnival game so when I saw this I knew I had to try it. The graphics are pretty good, though there are some courses that are a bit dark and hard to see what's going on (Dinosaur theme). The Easy courses are easy but the Hard courses are REALLY HARD (at least for me!). I have to respectfully disagree with Brandon though, I am a 42 year old woman and the only one in the house who likes Wii games (hubby is all into PS3 and daughter is 15, and well, being that age, hates everything) so I play alone. It is FUN to challenge myself. Also, you have the option of playing with the Carnie guy if you want a little competition. The game makes you think about the best angles and the outcome of your shot so it's not just a stupid mindless game. I have to be careful about what time of day I start to play because if it is close to dinner time and I'm in the middle of trying to master a difficult course, ain't no one eating dinner that night unless they call delivery! LOL.
on October 21, 2008
This game takes the best aspect of the Wii Best Selling Title "Carnival Games" and moves it to the next level. I had a lot of fun playing Mini Golf, the courses are very diverse and the Wii game play is truly superb.
This game has lots of replay value, each golf course offers something unique. It is a great title to have in your collection, fun to play by yourself and even better to play with others.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2009
My best friend enjoys playing mini golf games, me not so much. We have purchased or rented several other golf games out there for the wii and have only been disappointed. The controls were either tricky or the game itself seemed like we were playing golf and not mini golf.
Well this one was perfect. The settings of the games were excellent, it felt like we were on a mini golf course, and each one was unique and very well crafted. The controls too felt like we were really golfing.
The cheap price tag on this game helped it out too. Out of all the golf games we have tried this one hands down offers the best bang for your buck.
on January 8, 2011
I almost didn't buy this game, based on the brutality of many of the negative reviews. But this was a Christmas gift for my whole family, I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did! I've found that consumer product reviews are very personal rather than technical so you can't relay on 1 or 2 to get an accurate description of the product. It's helpful to understand the customer's point of view.

Our Wii game console was a gift for my mother 2 years ago. She is 60 and has M.S. It was intended to help her to safely exercise her balance and coordination. But they never got any games for it and she quickly tired of Bowling and Golf. My 5 year old nephew wanted to play the Wii when he saw the console next to the TV, but couldn't understand why there were no fun games. I enjoy the simplicity of my Atari 2600, since my ailing mother's coordination is even better than mine, in other words, I'm no good at video games.

Here's what you need to know:
-Many reviewers complained about the game controls in that aiming your putt makes no difference because the ball just "goes where it wants," and that the intensity of the putt is impossible to control (that you either get a little tap or too hard of a whack)... both claims are 100% false.
-Another popular complaint was that the Barker has an annoying voice. Okay! It's not like he talks through the entire game, but if it bugs you that much just turn the volume down on your TV, you'll still here game sounds on the remotes.
-These are NOT Nine-hole courses! There are 9 Three-hole courses. You can play Nine-holes if you wish by choosing 3 courses at the beginning of your game.
-Only 3 of the 9 courses are unlocked when you get the game, and there are no instructions as to HOW to unlock the other 6 courses. (You have to play in solo mode and beat par OR win against the Barker twice in order to unlock the next course).
-Not every hole is your standard mini golf hole. Several of them have random trick chutes, incorporate features of other types of games (like pinball) to get to the hole, and bonus games (that briefly cut away from the golf round).

I guess my only complaints are that this game doesn't use your Wii Miis and it's own avatars are very limited (and kind of ugly). Also, it's proving to be a nuisance unlocking the other 6 courses because the whole family always wants to play in group mode.

The bottom line is, if you are a serious video game junkie, you'll probably hate this game, but we love it. It is fresh and colorful. It is easy enough for my nephew and challenging enough for the rest of us.
on November 5, 2008
I'm 19 and I got this game for my B-day and I have to say that we played this for hours. Everyone from a 9 year old boy to 54 year old woman loved this game. The graphics are nice and the courses are loads of fun. Single player looks fun, but without friends and family to play with I can see this not being as fun.
on November 21, 2008
(Just to add, I have tried Kidz Sports Mini Golf, but that one has unforgiving complex sim control & a very hard layout. Reviewed on that page.) I rented this from blockbstr & beat it in about 5 hours. I really enjoyed it while it lasted.
Visual Presentation: great colors, good graphics, pretty good layouts. The barker only does lame intros, etc. otherwise keeps his mouth shut. There is almost no loading time at any point which is a pleasant surprise.
Sound Presentation: bare bones. The background music is well suited & nicely done, you can't change the volume on anything. In spooky area & Amazeon (Amaze-on), it sounds like reg people just made "oohhhhhhhhh" sounds. But it still works.
Avatar - very basic choices, very limited on face shape, skin color & hair, but a lot of choices in colors in shirt & pants/skirt. You can actually save your character in your wii remote to take to a friend's house.
Prizes - if you make par or better on each of the 3 courses of each of the 9 sections, for every section, you get a club in that theme which has a cute animation if you hit par or better for any of the courses in the game. Such a pumpkin club, saber tooth club, knight on a horse club, shaman staff club. When you roll over coins in courses, in each section you can choose prizes such as balls in each of the themes which are nice & cheap, clothes which are always hundreds of points & weird prizes such as cupcakes or a raping gnome in fairyland that doesn't leave the pro shop area. If you play in single player, you can choose at the start of each course if you want to play against the barker (you can't FFW through his putting.) If you win over him, you get a barker coin which seems to only buy diff articles of his clothing.
Menu - Simple, very little option choices except for left/right handed. Pro shop easy to access during the game as well as going back/forth between theme sections (Prehistoric, Fairy, Wild West, Pirate, Spooky, Amazeon, Egyptian, Barn yard, Knight's Castle.) When you click on a course before choosing, it will have the letter & the Barker coin lit or dull depending if you won the barker coin or got par.
Controls - I at first had trouble with the meter since I was used to the swing back holding A & letting go to set the power & swing fwd barely means anything. This time you hold A & do a full swing at the amount you want like a real swing & it DOES measure it very accurately. The meter is simple, it's more of a muscle memory & practicing how hard is too hard/soft for each hole. I was very impressed. Camera can be swung & held at any point with 1 & 2 buttons to see overhead to normal human eye angle.
Courses/Sections: The 3 medium & 3 hard are locked until you hit par on at least 2? 3 courses on an easy section for each subsequent section. Done very well, each section has an Adventure (one which is the longest & has the mini games if you look for the alt. route), Challenge (requires hand coordination skill only) & Trick (sometimes is only about luck such as Barnyard & Knight has one that's like a pinball machine only & you have to be perfect & also FIND the hole). Mini games are short & cute & simple & work well with the theme. If you're successful, they will spit you out at the hole. The courses are simple for adults, but challenging enough for kids. Anyone expecting a head scratcher puzzle will be disappointed. If you're truly stuck, you can always play against the Barker & watch how he wins.
Mini games - Tilting your wii remote in barnyard you catch eggs & coins, in Knights I believe you bounce animals over a moat into a castle. There are 2-3 shoot games style in wild west & spooky, etc., a basic wooden labyrinth in Egyptian, rhythm button in Amazeon, Simon says in Fairyland, flapping a pterodactyl wings in Prehistoric & steering a crab in Pirate's. All games have a very sensitive response to any tilting which is great but take a little practice.
The only issue I have is a little bit with the physics, it feels like the developers definitely skewed it too easy/lenient on easy courses when you have a feeling it shouldn't have gone in & say on hard, I had a ball go in & pop out 4x in a row like there was a spring in the hole. The AI of the barker is rubber banded to your ability overall.
Overall, a fun feeling game, I didn't find it boring, good controls, fun layouts on most of the courses though only 2-3 "trick" courses I hated.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2010
Originally I got this game for myself! I love specialized and themed mini golf courses, but the BONUS I got was that ALL my kids can play. Even my 3 year old requests to play! We have unlocked all our courses (you do start out with 3- but they are great fun and varied themes.) Literally a game the WHOLE family can play... and that is a BIG deal to me becuase my 3 year old always wants to play (with other games the the family fights, fusses and in the end I turn off the Wii BUT NOT SO WITH THIS GAME!) Other courses include Egyptian Pyramids, pirate ship, haunted house, jungle, barnyard, dinosaurs, fairy land, western town, Castle,etc. and they can be VERY challenging for adults- I still can't get through some of them. There are mini challeneges off each course, and you can earn coins to buy clothes, different balls, putters, etc. and once each character has some pieces you can play against one another and bet your pieces. THEN when you think you are the Golf Master of the Universe, you can play against the announcer... he can get pretty darn good!

Basically this game can be as simple or difficult as you want, but IT IS appropriate for all ages. Just like going out to a mini golf place- but as most mini golf places now days are $6-$8 per person to play this is a MUCH cheaper family alternative! (:
on November 15, 2008
I am a senior that loves playing Minigolf with my wife. So when I saw this game I had to have it.
Very disappointed. It can't be played like 18 holes of minigolf.There are 18 holes divided into 9 theme courses.
Three holes in each course. One Adventure hole that has a mimigame in it (not golf). One Challenge hole that has a number of diffrent paths.Like finding the right hole out of 6 that will lead to the right one.One Trick shot that you have to make a hole-in-one. Not skill just luck.
Some of these holes you just have to play over and over again to sink the ball with luck not skill.
All mini courses I have ever played you need alittle luck in but skill to get a good score. This one is all luck so you can't compete.Overall the holes can be fun and flusterating.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2009
I wish this game adhered to the old adage "You get what you pay for." Had that been the case, Carnival Games MiniGolf would be simply outstanding. After all, that's what you'd expect from a nearly $40 game, right? Unfortunately, I'd have to say that this game crams $15 worth of entertainment value into a $35 pacakge. The graphics are decent, the sound effects are downright annoying at times, some of the holes require 0% skill and 100% luck, and the number of holes is limited. It's as though the game was only partially developed when the company decided to slap it together and market it. If it had several complete 18 hole courses and if the holes were whimsical but not nonsensical, this game would be worth the price and a lot of fun. As it is, it's annoying and frustrating, and left me feeling like 2K Play owes me the $20 I overpaid for this game.

See 1 answered question