Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on June 2, 2009
I purchased the Orient Black Mako in March 2009 after many hours of research into purchasing my first affordable automatic watch. After owning it for two months, I am not disappointed. It is a solidly built watch and the rubber strap is very comfortable. The bezel is hard to turn but that is not a big issue for me. I like that it is somewhat unique in that Orient is not a common brand in North America and the Mako's styling is it's own. The red tipped second hand is a nice touch as well. The lume is very bright but not particularly long lasting. The watch sits comfortably on my slender wrist. The watch has averaged a +20 seconds/day since I've owned it. This is under the manufacturer's spec of +25 sec/day but I admit I find this slightly disappointing. This is the only reason I did not give it a full 5 stars. Bottom line, this is a lot of watch for the money. Hope my little review helps.
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2009
First, I am Mike, Judy'husband, and I purchased the Orient Mens Black Mako in Jan.2009. I have been 100% satisfied with the Orient Divers Watch in the time I've had it. I live in Florida in the winter and have used it in swimming and snorkeling. It is extremely comfortable to wear outside and in the water. The band is very flexible and soft and adjusts to any size wrist. The face is big and easy to read in the water and the hands, numbers, and markings light up very nicely in the dark.
The day, date, and time are very easy to set. It has kept perfect time since day one. (Be aware that it is an automatic watch and if you take it off and put it down, it will stop running in about 3-4 days.) It is a great looking divers watch and I have received many compliments. I could have spent less for a dive watch, but for all the features, comfort, and looks in the Orient, I really beleive it is the best buy in the price range.
0Comment23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2012
FEM65004BW:
Large black divers' watch (41.5mm without crown/46mm including crown:13.3mm deep:98g)
Movement: 469
Features - pros
Sweep second hand with red arrow tip
Large Arabic numerals at 12, 6 and 9, 5 minute indices elsewhere
Day and date in window at 3 position
No power reserve indicator
Unidirectional seconds and divers' bezel
Mineral crystal
Good lume performance
Screw in crown; screw secured push in button for movement of day indicator
200m water resistant
Rubber band with conventional clasp
Designation EM65-C3-A CA No serial number: M9
Description on face: Japan movt TH EM65-A00-R.T
Accuracy: gains 10-15 seconds/day

Cons:
I bought this as a CEM, but an FEM arrived (see summary below)
Least accurate Orient watch
Doesn't hack (as for all Orient automatics at this level)
Unconventional day button spoils otherwise clean lines
Band too long for me
Bezel stiff
No serial number
Dolphin motif on band

Summary:
I bought this watch from Amazon and it arrived in Australia a week earlier than scheduled.
Despite my observations, I like Orient watches. They are comparable to Seiko 5s but more individualistic.
This, the black version of the Mako, is a great looking watch except for the unnecessary button on the outside of the case at 2.
I bought this partially because it seemed a simple movement and so would be accurate. In this regard it has been a disappointment.
See also my review of the CFM/FFM. This is the third of my Orient automatics (out of five) that indicated they were not assembled in Japan and have no serial number other than M5 or M9. The clue is the words "Japan movt" at the bottom of the face (very small lettering; you need a magnifying glass) rather than just "Japan" which indicates it was made there. The other clue seems to be the model number; the prefix C seems to indicate assembled in Japan, whereas F is elsewhere.
88 comments24 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2013
I bought this watch in January. By April, the date-day button had come off, only the second or third time I tried to use it. I sent it in for repairs to the official Orient repair store on 5/6/13 by UPS, including an additional $12 for them to send it back to me. I have been waiting for 1.5 months for them to send it back. They promised to return it by 6/15/13 as I was going out of the country but nothing...Still no watch and no idea when it will ever come back.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2010
This Black Mako was an excellent purchase. The automatic movement is excellent and does not need adjustment on a daily basis. Keeps excellent time. I keep watch on a winder, so it is ready to go. The rubber strap is excellent. It is not a hard rubber and does not take alot to get used to. Really molds to your wrist and will not move with the body heat. I appreciate the size for a woman's wrist, yet, on occaisions, my husband can wear the watch.

I appreciate the opportunity to purchase at a fair price with Amazon, also, this makes it easier and I trust their system.
on May 22, 2014
This is a very good looking watch that has no fear of activities that take it in and out of sea and pool water for hours. It is very comfortable (I had to shorten the band which only took a minute with a sharp knife), has a very clear face and is easy to read in all conditions, both day and night. It looks and feels like a quality watch suitable for both recreation and office wear. After four weeks my summary is that this was a great buy, certainly value for money.
Update after five months.
Unfortunately this watch has started to lose up to half an hour a day. I experimented to see if I was doing something wrong in regard to the auto wind but no good result. Pity. It is still a good looking watch and is generally accurate for most of the day so I persist with a rewind each morning. Annoying but I live in hope it may improve. If it gets worse its gone.
on January 21, 2013
I would not recommend buying from Orient - they do not stand behind their products. This 'legendary' - as Orient says - watch stopped working after 14 months of using it and it was a birthday gift, so I felt so uncomfortable when this piece of junk was 2 hours late. Then it was 3 hours late. And then it stopped working completely. I contacted the Orient in Japan via e-mail and all they advised me is to send like $50 check to their repairs center, just to take a look. This means that the repairs for something for which I paid $96 would be up to $100. This is because $50 was supposed to be just a deposit, not to include shipping and handling. A total ripoff and untrusted product. Steer away from the Orient and purchase Seiko instead!!
on December 17, 2011
I bought this watch four months ago from Amazon. I wanted a waterproof watch for my swimming workouts. This watch exceeded all my expectations. I wear it all the time and work out in the pool five or six times a week (I never tried to actually jump into the water with it, but I do swim underwater a lot, going all the way down to 13 feet), and have no leaks or any other problems like that. The display is clear and legible, the clock hands are well visible, the luminescent coating is very bright in the darkness, and it stays bright for quite a long time. The rotating bezel is handy for keeping track of time during lecturing or presenting. I love the way it looks (although I would probably prefer no dolphins.. but then I am OK with dolphins too). And best of all, I adjust it maybe once a month or so - it sticks to the time better than any other clock I have around me. Clearly the very best thing I bought this year.
There are only two drawbacks: it is automatic, so you have to wear it all the time. Initially I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to find a watch that I could wear just to the pool and not all the time (heh, the cell phone effect...), but now I am sooooo hooked back to the wrist watch! And the other minor drawback is that the band was a bit too long and stuck out uncomfortably. I guess I just have very thin wrist :) (I use the first hole - somebody with a thicker wrist should not have this issue). I actually cut the band by maybe half an inch or so. I doubt anyone notices. 5 stars despite the wrist band length.
on June 30, 2012
Bought the watch for myself. The movement is made in Japan, but is not of the quality I expected from a Japanese movement. I've seen Chinese movements that were more well made than the movement that came in this watch. The case is made in China. The tag that came with the watch had a different model number and did not match the model number of the watch. I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be with this watch.
on November 9, 2011
This watch has a comfy band for diving and its look is clean and simple. Its an ideal watch for me and my hobby. I wear it out sometimes casually which makes this watch pretty cool. Price is affordable and cheap compared to the other great companies that make good divers but the Mako is my personal fave. You wont regret getting this one.