Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on December 13, 2011
The actual 5 watt light, part number REMOTE-E27-5W, is about as bright as a 40 watt bulb, and at the time of this review is available on Amazon, from similar sellers, for about $20, like HitLights 5 Watt Multi Color Changing LED Bulb With Remote.

The light in THIS listing, though, is actually part number REMOTE-E27-3W, and is only 3 watts. The other one is just barely bright enough to be useful, whereas this one is so dim that you won't even notice it except in a blackened room.

All of the functionality is correct, it:

* Screws into a standard "light bulb" fixture, like almost all the lights of your house use, known as E-27
* Has 4 auto-color-changing settings, that either transit slowly or blink between colors quickly.
* Has 16 pre-mixed colors. The LEDs are of the standard Red, Green, and Blue colors, but they can be dimmed and brightened like the pixels on a monitor, to make other colors.
* Has a remote that works from any angle where the IR light can bounce into the receiver on the front.
* Remembers your settings next time you turn it on.
* Can be adjusted for brightness/dimness, and color cycle speed.

CON:
* The problem is that, of course, this entire listing is fraudulent. I bought it expecting the 5 watt, as the listing specifies, and got the 3 watt.

PLEASE rate this review "Helpful", in order to warn people to buy the actual 5 watt, or at least to know they're getting the dramatically dimmer 3 watt.

Note, too, that there are actually globe-shaped 6 and 9 watt color-changing lights available elsewhere, I've found a 9w on ebay and am ordering it for $14. I'd prefer to use Amazon, but haven't found any here.
1414 comments1,698 of 1,806 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2011
I love this light, and just wanted to give a few tips on how to get the best use out of it.
Tips:
1. You have to diffuse the light with something translucent like wax paper or tape in order for the colors to blend.
2. You can get this same light for around $7.00 from other sellers, or the step up which is actually 5 watts as this one claims to be (but isn't, it's 3 watt).
5252 comments843 of 896 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2009
Perfect for mood lighting.

The first thing that got my attention was the build quality. I expected the bulb to be of cheap, fragile plastic construction, but it's actually very solid and of good weight. The size is about as long as a PAR20 bulb and almost exactly as wide as an MR16.

The color it produces is extremely vibrant, very saturated. The transitions are clean and look professional. As one reviewer mentioned earlier, things are a little more on the dim side. The brightest colors (blue and white) are equivalent to a 20 watt bulb and the dimmest color (red) is about an 8 watt bulb. While this perfect for mood lighting, as a party-lighting solution, you will require many bulbs. I recommend searching out and buying the bulb by the same seller without the remote when getting multiples. It saves a few bucks and you can use the same remote for all the bulbs.

The remote has a range of about six feet and about a 60 degree spread. It's signal easily goes through recessed cans (as long as you point it at the bulb).

The bulbs do have a memory of the last setting they were on when turning them on, either through the remote or power switch, as long as they are "trained" with the setting by leaving it on for at least a few minutes. I do notice that, when on solid colors at max brightness, the bulb controller flickers every once in a while. It's not enough do bother me, but I do notice it from time to time.

I will definetely be incorporating these bulbs in future lighting ideas.
77 comments200 of 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2011
I should have known better as there were so many warnings. Well, many of these complaints were not recent and so many others seemed to claim they got what they ordered. Moreover, this is a sale backed by Amazon. This last factor in the past really seemed to mean something...

This was advertised as a 5-watt E-27 LED bulb. It used to be mentioned in the product Title and listed in the Technical Details. It's still clearly described as 5 watts in the "Product Description". The bulb's "Part Number" is listed twice as "R16-E27-5W1-COLOR".

I received a 3-watt bulb that looks nothing like the bulb pictured. There is absolutely nothing imprinted on the bulb itself, but on the box it's labeled as "Power: 3W". This (generic) 3-watt bulb--as others have pointed out--is far more available and easily purchased for considerably less. This "error" has been occurring way too frequently to be anything other than a deliberate deception. Even incompetence can't quite cover it (up). Moreover, there are numerous other legitimate problems, quirks and issues with this product, not the least of which is total lack of ANY manual or Instruction Sheet of any kind either in the box or even online. As one uses the remote, one discovers one obvious limitation after another. It would certainly be in the seller's best interest to list what it can do, instead of having to discover on your own, what it can't.

Had this sale been an honest one, I would have likely rated it as 3-stars. However, there is absolutely no excuse for this bait and switch type of deception. Amazon should have either straightened this listing out long ago or removed it altogether.
55 comments184 of 212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2011
I thought this looked great, so I shopped around for a while and decided on this one because it was a 5 watt bulb, and the other 5 watt lights like this were similarly priced and I would prefer to deal with Amazon.

I got the two I ordered today - they aren't 5 watt bulbs, they're 3 watt. Significantly less bright than 5 watts. 3 watt bulbs like this can easily be found for about half the price. Also, the remote control shown on the Amazon page isn't the same as what was shipped. The remote I got looked exactly like the ones that are advertised with thousands of the 3 watt bulbs that are on ebay.

I just uploaded a user image showing all of this.

They are pretty neat, tho. One thing - I have them both plugged in to the same ceiling fixture, and I've only used one remote for them, and one of the lights changes color about half a second before the other one. Not annoying at the moment, but I can imagine some situations where it might be. Also, the remote control didn't seem to do exactly what I wanted it to, but I only played with it for about a minute so it's probably user error. No manual included, of course.
22 comments52 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2012
This is advertised as a 5 watt LED, so, if you are delivered a 3 watt LED then you are basically a victim of false advertising. Why would amazon keep fulfilling these orders falsely? Obviously this has sold enough times, and had enough reviews stating that is it falsely advertised, yet here is is still for sale. It makes me loose faith in the almighty amazon empire and someone needs to get their act together. The rest of you who just chalk it up to and say "oh well, I got 60% of what I ordered", and then forget it... SHAME ON YOU. You all should have return this product on amazons dime so that they would take enough notice to either start advertising it correctly, or start delivering the correct product.
11 comment27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2011
I ordered this product hoping it was going to be the same thing as the picture but it was not. Its a 3 watt Led vs the 5 watt that's shown in the picture. The description said the product would be on the same level but its not. It is a smaller bulb in size and less powerful. To top things off it came in a box that had another product listed on it. It actually works ok but I wanted something that was 5 watts specifically and the size in the pic for my use. Its a shorter unit. I emailed the sender and got NO RESPONSE. They also have NO PHONE NUMBER listed. That equals NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. They really need to post the correct picture and the specs for this product and respond to a email. Would I buy from this seller again? HELL NO
33 comments49 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2011
After all of the other reviews I was expecting not to get a 5W version, but all of the colors don't even function correctly in the one I did get.
on December 28, 2008
These are great for mood lighting a movie or for parties. The remote makes it easy to change the color and effect but the bulb isn't bright enough to work in unless it is directly above the work area.
Have a few in recessed lights for great movie or party lighting
0Comment34 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2010
Dealing with Eagle Light was a pleasure. This particular light bulb is easy to install into a small uplight I had purchased on the cheap from Home Depot. I place it on "smooth" and watching the changing colors is so soothing and really transforms a room. I have two of them placed in my living room, synced in color changing, and it is just a delight. Plenty of compliments from visitors and friends when they see it in action. All comment on how relaxed it makes them. Love them!
0Comment42 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse