Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on March 2, 2009
When the first Kindle came out, I wrote to Amazon that if they got the New Yorker, I'd buy one. They (finally) did, and so now I have a Kindle with a New Yorker subscription. As others have said, the New Yorker is a perfect candidate for Kindle - a ton of content that many of us get behind on but don't want to let go. The idea of carrying around a bunch of issues of the magazine without, well, carrying around a bunch of issues of the magazine - it's perfect! Unfortunately, while I'm glad to have any semblance of this magazine on the Kindle, we're not quite there. The lack of cartoons (and other non-text) content is one factor; another is the lack of a proper table of contents. The "section list" is simply useless. And while you can click one of the little numbers next to the sections and then page through the "articles list," there is no way that I can find to simply jump to the articles list the way you can use the menu button to reach the table of contents on a Kindle book. When my print New Yorker arrives each week, the first thing I do is scan the table of contents: I want to see if my favorite writers have pieces in the new issue, I want to know the titles of the articles so I can flag which ones sound interesting. And when I get behind by a few issues, I use the tables of contents to find the content I absolutely must read. While search can help when I'm hunting for, say, "the one with the excerpt from DFW's unfinished novel," I'm not always possessed of terms to type into the little box. The Kindle edition's buried-in-the-interface "articles list" simply doesn't allow the kind of efficient triage that the print edition's table of contents makes effortless. There are just too many clicks. This could be fixed - easily it seems to me (replacing the button that brings up the section list with one that brings up the articles list would help) - so I'm hoping it will be. Till then, I can only award 3 stars, because the wonderful content is both incomplete and somewhat hidden in the current format.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2009
others have noted the incompleteness of the Kindle 'New Yorker' where cartoons are concerned; today I received the Kindle 'New Yorker' for 23 February 2009 and it lacks the Italo Calvino story that appears in the print edition--what gives? I'd love to read the *complete* editorial content of the magazine each week on my Kindle--but there are obviously still some kinks to be ironed out
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2009
I love The New Yorker. But I'm usually many months behind in reading it. Consequently, when I go on a trip, I take a tall stack of New Yorkers with me. This weighs down my luggage

I initially thought that having a Kindle would enable me to substantially lighten my luggage by allowing me to dispense with all the heavy paper copies of The New Yorker that I usually carry with me. But there is a problem with keeping numerous back issues of The New Yorker on the Kindle.

Amazon will reload to your Kindle only the 7 most recent issues. For example, if you are 25 weeks behind in reading The New Yorker (as I now am), and your Kindle breaks or is lost, Amazon will reload your Kindle with only the last 7 issues. The other 18 issues would be lost.

Backing up the issues is not an option. Each issue is keyed only to a particular Kindle. Consequently, if your Kindle breaks or is lost, the backup copies CANNOT be used on your new Kindle. Your only option is to have Amazon send you reissues, which they will do only for the 7 most recent issues.

This policy with respect to periodicals is in sharp contrast to the policy with respect to books. Once you buy a Kindle book, you can always retrieve that book from Amazon. I don't understand why Amazon doesn't allow us to retrieve all the periodicals we have purchased (in the same manner it allows us to retrieve all the books we have purchased).

UPDATE (January 21, 2013): All back issues of the iPad edition of The New Yorker (dating back to October 4, 2010) are available for download from Apple's App Store, not just the last seven issues. Even better, the iPad edition of The New Yorker is currently free to print subscribers.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2009
I'd been waiting months, hoping The New Yorker would join the Kindle's magazine lineup, and as I expected, this has been the most satisfying Kindle magazine experience yet.

It's nicely formatted and easily navigated. (Though if I hadn't read another review here, I wouldn't have known how to access the cover by going to the top of the articles list and hitting previous page. Or that I wasn't getting ALL the cartoons.)

Graphic-heavy magazines like Time and Newsweek so far haven't proved worth it on the Kindle, since the stories often refer to pictures or graphs we're not seeing. But though it's become a little more graphic-friendly in recent years, The New Yorker still puts words first, and words are the Kindle's strong point. (That and not ending up with a pile of magazines you don't want to recycle because you think you might want to reread something in the future. A paper subscription to this magazine presents Sorcerer's Apprentice-like problems, given the frequency of publication.)

Price for all this seems more than reasonable, especially given that keeping back issues on my SD card will make my stash more easily searchable than those piles would be, while not creating a fire hazard.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 1, 2009
First, Amazon does not archive Newspaper and Magazine issues in your account for more that a few issues unlike when you purchase books.

It is up to you to back up NPs and Magazines onto your computer to archive, for example The Wall Street Journal.

Here is the rub. Should you loose, receive a replacement Kindle (warranty or otherwise) or purchase a Kindle 2 ALL past issues of Newspapers or Magazines that were downloaded to the original Kindle will be UNREADABLE on any subsequent Kindle even though it is registered to your account.

Think about this for a moment. You buy these periodicals and obtain the rights for your use, but if you purchase or replace your Kindle you have no further rights to read past issues YOU bought and paid for.

One better hope that their Kindle never breaks because Amazon does not repair YOUR Kindle they replace it with another. Therefore no more use of your periodicals.

Sound absurd? Well it is true. So much for a reference library.

It is because of the Digital Rights Management (DRM) that is embedded in the file of the Newspaper or Magazine. It records the serial number of the original Kindle that the periodical was downloaded to. If you change Kindles, of course the serial number of the Kindle changes and therefore the file is Unusable on the new or replacement Kindle. (This is not the case with books)

On one hand you can purchase a hard copy of a magazine or newspaper and let 1000 people read it, but now it turns out you can't even read a copy of the very one YOU purchased.

For all the good that has come out of Kindle it amazes me the obvious necessities that have not been addressed.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2009
My New Yorker download contained 7 cartoons, but online I see there are 21 cartoons in this issue. So you pay less, but you get less.
on May 28, 2009
Okay. The three issues I have received have all the cartoons and the short stories from each issue. I guess the editors/Conde Naste have paid attention to the previous reviews. On to my review...

The New Yorker on Kindle is fantastic! The price is cheaper than a paper subscription (barely), better on the environment, and easier to read. I receive the Kindle version way before the print copy arrives in my mailbox as well.

I have to complement Conde Naste, they really get how a digital subscription should work. The content should include everything from the print version, should be easy to manage, and it should be cheaper. Well done. I could not be happier. I kind of feel like the 2 and 3 star reviews are either from people complaining about the cartoon snafus (which appears to be fixed) or from people who love to complain about things in general. Enjoy.
on November 17, 2011
The three star reviews that come up first when you load the New Yorker (Kindle) page on Amazon are out of date. They complain that the Kindle edition lacks the cartoons and other material, but in 2011 everything is there: cartoons, Talk of the Town, everything. Navigation with the Table of Contents is excellent, dividing the magazine up into its familiar sections. At $2.99 a month it's an incredible deal. The only downside is that this edition cannot be read on the iPhone or Kindle Fire. You're out of luck on the iPhone; on the Kindle Fire, there is an app like the one for the iPad, but issues cost $6 each -- or $24 per month. So if you purchase the $2.99 pre-Fire edition instead, you'll save $21 every month -- and after only four months you'll saved as much as the cheapest Kindle. Do it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2010
The New Yorker has the best content of any general magazine in the US in my opinion and this carries over well to kindle formatting unlike many magazines.

1. Table of contents is excellent.
2. Text content is the focus of the New Yorker, so Kindle formatting works well.
3. Cartoons now included.
4. Font size can be changed. The New Yorker magazine has very small print. I find I read much more at one time than I do with the print version as I get much less eye strain. As I age this is increasingly important.
5. You can save issues without the storage problem and tree guilt caused by the print version.
6. I miss the fashion and other such ads that clutter the magazine.

As I read the previous reviews, I think things must have improved as I don't share some of the concerns voiced.
on February 23, 2009
I know that the writing is great, but since childhood the New Yorker has always been about the Cartoons, and then whatever else catches my eye. Life without Roz Chast isn't truly living.

When I downloaded my trial edition and found NO cartoons, only to find that subsequent editions would only have SOME cartoons, well that's a deal breaker for me.