Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Blu-rayChange

on July 30, 2000
I first saw Moonraker when I was in Junior High on television. At the time, I knew almost next to nothing about James Bond. The only thing about James Bond I saw up to that time was a scene in Thunderball where Sean Connery was being stalked by the tenacious Luciana Paluzzi and her hoodlums.
I knew nothing about the history of Bond, and which film came first or second, or third.... I knew nothing about the golden girl in Goldfinger, nothing about the sexual names of Bond's various mates...I didn't even know about the term "Bond girl". I know nothing about the gadgets, or M, Q, or Moneypenny.
Moonraker, which everybody seems to trashed, turned me on to the world of James Bond. I became a fan, and went on to see every movie that came before it (For You Eyes Only just came out in the theaters at the time)whenever it came on television.
If Moonraker is so all the naysayers claimed, I would have not been a fan...and would never surrender myself to the world of 007. BUt instead, I loved this movie, and I became a 007 fan that day. And judging by the box office, Moonraker probably attracted thousands of new fans as well.
Moonraker has all the element of a classic Bond film: from the stunning midair pre-title sequence, to the ever reliable Shirley Bassey's Moonraker theme song, to the lunar titles by Maurice Binder, to the fantastic (okay, so it is a bit far fetch) plot to destroy mankind hatched by a megalomaniac villain, to the humour (Jaws flapping his arms to fly, and Goodhead saying: "Take me around the world one more time", the special effects, the beautiful women in the form of Lois Chiles, Corinne Clery, Emily Bolton and Leila Shenna (as well as Drax's bevy of evil lovelies), to John Barry's score, and to Richard Kiel's Jaws, and of course, the action.
Of course, if you have seen all the Bond films in chronologic order, Moonraker may seem silly, contrived, lacking in originality. But hey, not all of us were around in 1962!
One of the biggest gripe, it seems, is that Bond went into outer space. Hey, Bond had survived thousands of bullets shot at him, bedded dozens of women and have not sire one illegitimate child, now all of a sudden we are talking about reality?
Overall, Moonraker is an entertaining movie...and that is why I was so glad that the DVD came out. Now I can watch Moonraker the way it was supposed to be seen...on widescreen. And watching it on widescreen is like watching an entirely different movie. You never realize how much you lose with that hated pan and scan format.
Like all the Bond DvDs, it included the trailers for Moonraker...however, the trailer of Moonraker which is based on the scene where Corinne Dufour was being chased by Drax's dobermen was ommitted.
The background piece on Moonraker is very informative. Too bad they didn't interview Corinne Clery, who was one of the highlights in the film.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 1999
James Bond tries to save the world again in "MoonRaker." If you want to see one of the best Bond films this is it. It is complete with one of my favorite foes Jaws. Also the famous "MoonRaker Laser" battle you have to see. I have to say I have seen many Bond movies and this one I enjoyed the most.
on September 10, 1999
MOONRAKER is okay and has a couple of good moments.The locations are beautiful ;007 travels to California,Venice,Brazil and Outer Space!Unfortunatly,this eleventh entry in the Bond series remains underrated and was never taken to heart by most fans.A plot that was definetly inspired by Star Wars and actors who do not seem to take their roles seriously may have something to do with it. Dr Holly Goodhead(Lois Chiles) is pretty but never had a status as a memorable Bond girl. Hugo Drax(Michael Longsdale) is not a classic example of a head villain.However,Jaws(Richard Kiel) adds flavor to this movie.Despite mixed reviews, MOONRAKER was one of the most grossing James Bond films of all time.I enjoy this movie once in a while,and I find it superior to the two first Roger Moore films(LIVE AND LET DIE and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN) but inferior to FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME,and A VIEW TO A KILL.The theme song by Shirley Bassey is not bad.Worth a look, but dont have too many high expectations..........
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 5, 2007
When I first saw this film I remember that it really broke my heart. I grew up in the 60s on James Bond and Sean Connery amongst others things. James Bond was high there on my list. The first 45 minutes of MOONRAKER was the closest that the Roger Moore Bonds had ever come to the look and feel of the James Bond films of the 60s. It was really incredible. Equally incredible was how the film did a flip-flop into slapstick when Bond is floating down that canal in Venice. As the film progressed the level of slapstick escalated. It was just plain out ridicules. The film was very annoying.

I thought Roger Moore had finally combined his best qualities as a personality and an actor to represent James Bond in this film. His scene in the centrifuge showed his ability to bring depth to the character in a very credible way. This one scene is a standout because it equals any performance given by any of the actors that have portrayed James Bond in this series. Christopher Wood, given sole screenplay credit this time, delivered a script full of witty dialogue. The free-fall pre-credit sequence with John Barry's background score, incredible stunt work and cinematography was excellent. With so many fine elements at their peak of perfection it was a shame that the film unraveled in so many different directions.

When I saw this film on opening day I remembered how the whole lobby was crammed with people. As I sat during the film I remember a little boy who was sitting in front of me turn around and look at his father. "Daddy I really like this movie." I never forgot that. It took me about 10 years to understand what this film was really all about. The Bond films have been around for almost 45 years now. I suppose with each decade another generation of Bond fans is born. Each generation takes with them the fond memories of their introduction to James Bond. Each generation savors the moment and no matter what I or anyone else says is going to erase those memories. The magic of MOONRAKER is that it contains the best to the worst, or the worst to the best, of all the elements found in the series. For me I somehow think there is something in MOONRAKER for everyone.

The extras are very good. Some neat stuff.
on September 6, 2009
The mention of "Moonraker" usually elicits controversey. Serious Bond fans usually despise it due to its far-out premise of sending Bond into outer space at the conclusion. Yet, if you just want a relaxing and entertaining film, "Moonraker" is wonderful entertainment. This was Roger Moore's 4th Bond film, the Bond film right after his personal triumph in "The Spy Who Loved Me," Moore's best Bond and one of the most lavish and entertaining films in the series. "Moonraker" is nowhere as good as that film, but it is fun nonetheless. If anything, the main problem with "Moonraker" is that it tries to give the audience too much, usually to the detriment of the film. There is a gondola chase scene in Venice that concludes with the gondola driving up into St. Peter's Square and Moore driving through hundreds of tourists that makes me cringe everytime I see it. There is a totally unnecessary scene of Moore being attacked by a large python and dispatching it with a CIA device that he should not logically have. This scene and the previous one should have wound up on the cutting-room floor.
However "Moonraker" does have academy-award nominated special effects, wonderful location work, a beautiful all-American leading lady in Lois Chiles and a wild confrontation between American Marine Astronauts(?) and the villain's stooges in outer space. (Sort of like the underwater fight-scene at the conclusion of "Thunderball" transferred to outer space.) In an attempt to outdo the pre-credits sequence of "The Spy Who Loved Me," "Moonraker" has Bond being pushed out of a plane without a parachute. This is a terrific and exciting sequence. (One thing "Moonraker" has an did not need was the return of Richard Kiel as "Jaws." The attempt to turn him into a good guy at the end was ridiculous.")
"Moonraker" was a smash hit in the summer of 1979 and received mostly positive reviews from the likes of The NY Times and Rex Reed. It played to sell-out crowds.
The picture and sound on this blu-ray are excellent. There is an excellent Roger Moore commentary. Most of the special features have been seen before including a terrific "making of" documentary, another great documentary on the special effects of the Bond films, vintage interviews, etc. The special features are very good.
In conclusion, "Moonraker" may not be the most realistic Bond film, however it is still a marverlously entertaining motion picture.
on August 22, 2005
This screen is starting to look like the metaphorical equivalent of the sweet space battle at the end of this breathtaking achievement of cinematic perfection. Well, I'm here to shoot a few of my own lasers now, this movie totally kicks a$$. Let's start with the opening song, which I think is easily in the top 3 of all time best Bond openers.

So there's this frog named Drax who wants to kill everyone on Earth, and start from scratch with his own breeding stock of beautiful people. The genocide of the ugly people of Earth comes by virtue of a space delivered disease, or nerve agent, or something equally superfluous, which Drax of course also manufactures.

I have a theory which goes a little something like this: When a man reaches a certain level of wealth, he naturally begins to contemplate some dimension of world conquest. The uber-villains Bond is often pitted against seem to pan this theory out nicely, begging the question, when will 007 take on Dick Cheney, Bill Gates, or Ronald McDonald?

So in comes old pervy Bond to salivate all over the dames, karate chop some mouth brething henchmen, and get all up in Drax's grille. Drax, for is his part, is no sllouch though. The man is straight evil, but his taste in women, crib's, and lasers is beyond reproach. I suppose because I grew up with Roger Moore playing Bond, I get the best of both worlds, because Connery and Moore are both Bond to me.

Now, in a movie which already has so much to offer the entertainment starved masses, we see the return of super hencmen JAWS. That alone should raise a pulse or two, because this guy is emma effin indestrutable. You can shoot him in the face, throw him out of an airplane, drop him in a tank full of ill tempered sharks, drop his a$$ from outerspace, and he doesn't die. Why can't we unleash this cat in Iraq?

So anyway, Bond figures Drax out, and its on. As I have previously alluded to, there is a magnificent space battle involving cats floating around in space shooting lasers, and invading space stations like that's all they got paid to do. Wow, if it get's any better than this they'll start taxing us for it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 1999
I have seen around 7-8 James Bond movies but none are as good as this one. I watched it on T.V. one night and when I ushually watch a movie and just drift off but not this one. It has a great plot on how criminal mastermind Hugo Drax hijacked a few space shuttles and prepares to make purification with extermination! It also includes the best of all henchmen and most popular one, Jaws, the 7 foot giant with steel teeth. This also includes great action scenes all around the world. Many people think it's the worst Bond movie, I don't. It's probaly the best. Rent it, you will like it.
on February 2, 2000
While I'll admit I'm a little sentimental about MOONRAKER(it was the 1st 007 flick I saw in the theaters & helped trigger my lifelong love of James Bond), this film deserves a much better reputation than it has. Granted, the movie is much more in the spirit of James Coburn's Bond spoof "Our Man Flint" than the excellent, serious "From Russia With Love". However, if the viewer takes it on its own terms as a silly but pleasant, lavish sci-fi comedy adventure MOONRAKER makes entertaining escapist viewing. It does contain flaws(i.e. slapstick humor, cartoonishness, fatuousness, deritiveness from older Bond films) but these flaws are by no means unique to MOONRAKER and in fact typify the majority of 007 films of the 1970s/early 80s era. At the very least, MOONRAKER's pacing and intelligent heroine alone make it vastly superior to A VIEW TO A KILL.
Sidenote: I often wonder if those who most vehemently criticize MOONRAKER for being too silly and outlandish are the same critics who a decade later berated LICENCE TO KILL(which I also enjoyed) for being too dark and serious. But that's another review.
on August 20, 1999
At first I thought this movie was boring and a waste of time. But after I saw it a few more times I began to like it. This movie packs in some great action sequences, like the fight in mid air for a parachute. And Jaws is a big plus in his second apperance. This movie is great and I would encourage any Bond fan to see it.
on October 21, 2009
Moonraker is actually the first Moore 007 title I've ever purchased. Despite some obviously dated effects (e.g., several "matted in" 'aereal' scenes), this was a very pleasant surprise in every way in terms of both the film itself and the quality of the Blu-ray. Lots of action, plus a cool plot, and some funny lines from Mr. Moore and the very entertaining "Jaws" character that always turns up no matter where 007 goes! I think the space scenes give it a nice added hint of sci-fi that you don't always get in Bond films. I actually enjoyed the film so much and the beautiful cinematography (particularly in Rio de Genaro) that I watched it again as soon as it was over just to look at the stunning image quality! If you're both a bond fan and a real sucker for excellent image and sound quality, this Blu-ray disc is a treat! I only have a 720P plasma, and this film from 1979 has better image quality than some more recent films. (E.g., Just saw Blu-ray of Bram Stoker's Dracula from '92. A much newer film, but of course perhaps due to artistic intent, with a decidedly softer image. Certainly Better than a standard DVD, but nowhere near as sharp as Moonraker). The 5.1 HD Master Audio track is also quite robust and pretty directional for its age. Many of the scenes boast almost 3-D-like image quality, with jaw-dropping color and detail (check out the scene where 007 is on a boat looking through a telescope. The lens almost "jumps" out of the screen.) The aereal scenes and scenes in Rio de genaro and Venice have to be seen to be appreciated. The detail in the buildings and scenery is outrageous! Blu-ray is here to stay... simply the most amazing video medium ever... Like a great car you want to keep driving, the more I experience Blu-ray the more I appreciate it. I'm buying films I've never owned before because of it... now all I need are "Jaws", "War of the Worlds '05", "Titanic" and the "Jurassic Park" series to come out...