Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Price:$619.97+ Free shipping

on January 31, 2012
I got this trainer after reading the writeup from DC Rainmaker ( ). I have a computrainer and frankly...was FRUSTRATED. I travel a LOT for work and wanted to do power specific workouts at least twice while I was on the road. The Computrainer was clunky and didn't work with my work computer. So i ended up having to carry 2 laptops to accomplish my goals. This Taxc Trainer works right out of the box. I am able to travel with this compact unit that's wireless (if you are in hotels a lot, the outlets are sometimes like an easter egg hunt), and able to control it easily with the display. I bought the software as well and my ONLY ding on that so far is that it doesn't come with an ANT+ USB dongle. No worries as I just used one from one of my Garmin watches.

With respect to the other review...I am not sure if he bought that way back when it first came out, is morally opposed to Tacx, or is just not into anything but computrainers. Within 5 minutes after installing the software I was creating my Power peaks for my workout in the tool. Within 15 mins after installing the software, I was riding my workout. GOOD LUCK doing ANY of that with a computrainer without downloading this plugin, getting that adapter, figuring out which software to open, blah blah blah blah blah. If you want a no-brainer...this. is. it.
on January 7, 2013
ORIGINAL: This is the best trainer I have ever used. Good road feel. The best part is the ability to plan workouts in various power zones and then just watch a movie while the head unit takes over. It's also quite portable with no cords or wires to worry about. We have a mountain cabin that we often visit on the weekends and I just take my tri bike and the trainer with me. Haven't missed a workout yet this winter.

EDIT: The "brake" portion of the trainer failed without warning after about 6 weeks of use. After some research online it appears this is a common issue. There is no viable way to actually contact Tacx. Amazon is a great company and took care of me, but Tacx - not so much. The idea of the trainer is good, but apparently the implementation needs work.
on December 22, 2013
Apparently, I am an outlier here. I have owned a Tacx Bushido and Software (from 2.0?) for three years. I have logged 1000's of miles on it without failure.

I was initially attracted to the trainer because of the wireless functionality and ANT+ support. These to features combine to offer complete portability, unlike my previous trainer which is an Axiom.

First of all, despite the fact that the unit does not require external power, this trainer supports computer-controlled power variation. This means that the user can create sessions that include varying intensity.While this has been available for some time from other trainers, they tend to be bulky, heavy, and extremely proprietary. This last restriction makes the older trainers much less user-friendly.

The Bushido also calculates user metrics. For example, it tracks cadence and power output. Both of these values help the rider train more efficiently. Learn to spin at higher RPM improves reaction time and reduces injury. Learning to maintain power output improves endurance for time trials. Doing short intervals--eg., Tabata intervals-- with power thresholds improves sprint and overall speeds.

What's really exciting about the Bushido set-up, by contrast, is the software allows the user to import various kinds of data to enhance the riding experience and the ANT+ connectivity enables the Bushido to interact with of similarly equipped hardware. I live in Northwest Indiana. Inclement weather here makes it very difficult to ride here several weeks a year. With the Bushido software, I have imported GPS data from my outdoor rides which I recorded on a Garmin 310XT and a 910XT. This allows me to continue training during the worst of winter.

The ANT+ feature allows the Bushido user to connect accessories like his ANT+ enabled heart-rate monitor. This allows him to record and track his heart rate using equipment that he already owns. Like cadence and power training, heart-rate based training enhances training efficiency. Being able to easily access this feature by repurposing existing equipment provides great value.

With an ANT+ dongle and an app, the user can train with an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad. Recently, Samsung has included ANT+ radios and drivers to its devices. So, with the appropriate app, I can accomplish most of my training needs with my Note 3 without my notebook computer. This makes the Bushido even more portable.

The software integrates with Google Earth. While training, the user can watch a 3D representation of the course on the computer monitor. I have imported other bicyclist's rides from Garmin Connect and Tacx into the software. This has allowed me to see and ride courses from Ireland, Belgium, etc.

The software also supports video importing. I have used video and GPS data from a Contour camera to create courses for the Tacx.

The Bushido and software combination is not perfect, however. I would prefer greater control of the resistance, for example. But as a system, I am very satisfied and HAVE recommended it to others.
on December 28, 2012
My experience with Tacx has been very frustrating. I have spent the last several days simply trying to register my software. It went downhill from there. Customer service at Tacx is nonexistant. I decided to go with the Tacx Bushido based on reviews of the software and the graphics which seemed superior to Computrainer. This was a big mistake. What I failed to take into account were the multitude of users who had posted complaints about support and technical problems with Tacx. I figured that I am reasonably clever and I will be able to figure out how to get it working. Well here I am, one of the "unlucky" ones who has had nothing but trouble. There are many posts from people that are happy with the Tacx and the best I can ascertain is that purchasing one is a bit like rolling the dice. At the end of the day, what I really want is a reliable trainer that will help me train more effectively. I have used a Computrainer at a local gym for three years and it works very well, this in spite of being used by multiple riders for several hours a day. Of course this makes me feel even more foolish for purchasing a Tacx to try to save money. I just returned my Tacx Bushido with VR "upgrade" to Amazon and have purchased a Computrainer. Anyway, this is just one man's experience. My advice is to carefully consider the value of your time and how well you tolerate frustration. Trying to save a few dollars with Tacx did not work out well for me.
on October 13, 2014
Returned it within the first day of use. Could not get working with the companion software on the IPad. I should've taken heed to the prior reviews.

Although the hardware seems to be well made, it's useless without the software (to me) when limited to just the head unit. Looking at the KICKR now.
on October 30, 2013
Absolutely buy this for the wireless trainer, but don't buy it if you want to use it with your computer!
The trainer itself with it's adjustable and programmable resistance is a great way to train. It has a strong brake that can simulate about a 8-10% climb. I use training videos like Sufferfest and many others and set the resistance between 2.5-6% dependent on the climb and get a great workout. You get estimated watts that helps with training development. I can use some of the many pre-programmed rides or program one myself. The programming can be tedious but can be done with some patience. The head unit gives you all the important info, watts, cadence, speed, heart rate, distance, time, max and ave of each. It's also nice not to have any wires. I did purchase the software to wirelessly link it to my computer and after several attempts gave up. So buy it for the trainer NOT the computer.

9/2014 Update. Just switched over to the free iPad app. Had to have my bushido's firmware updated. Works great! No bugs! Simply download the training films for $11 each or ride any of the 45 free pre-made training workouts. Or make your own. It's what the computer version should have done, but was too buggy.

Now 5 Stars!
on November 22, 2015
I bought the European branded version of the Tacx Bushido in November 2015 and immediately updated the firmware using the iOS Utility App. My major interest is indoor training using TrainerRoad and Zwift. Both integrate easily with the hardware, but an Ant+ dongle is needed to communicate with my MacMini that is attached to a large screen TV. For the past 2.5 weeks it has been working seamlessly and it is a terrific way to train in the winter months. Both TrainerRoad and Zwift have structured workouts. I've not been using the Tacx provided software or virtual reality capabilities yet, but now that Tacx has opened up their platform, the value of this trainer has increased, IMHO.

There have been reports in various places of mechanical reliability issues so I'll report any follow up problems with longer use, but for now it is time to RIDE ON!
on November 19, 2012
I have had my Bushido for 2 days and overall I am happy with it.
it just does everything it is advertised for but I did not except to spend that much time setting this thing up.
Assembly is very easy and quick, playing with settings to get the most realistic experience is another.

It does a really great job simulating rides on flat surfaces, the cadence is accurate (I compared to my Garmin) and it is a fairly quiet home trainer.
Troubles started when trying to simulate a 6% climb. the tire was slipping against the resistance when trying to pedal harder and the resistance inconsistent when reducing the cadence. It turns out that there are ways around that problem, but I spent hours finding information on forums.
on October 13, 2011
If you are at all considering gettings product, just spend five minutes at the Tacx support forum. While this product has a lot of promise, the implementation is an absolute disaster -- it's just crash after crash after crash. Sometimes, I have to start the application 4-5 times before it actually runs. Support is non-existent. The problems are rampant (again, just check out their forums). I have a clean laptop dedicated to the Tacx Training Software and it doesn't run smoothly. I can't imagine the poor saps with a typical laptop and the larger number of driver conflicts and whatnot.

After another wasted evening fiddling with restarts and re-installs when I should've been training, I've given up on my Tacx. I've ordered a competing product and will be ditching this piece of crap on whoever will take it off my hands. All that was left was to try and get the word out, so that others won't make the same mistake I did.
on September 29, 2015
Just a terrible piece of kit. ios9 isn't supported- so there is no native app support out of the box. BKOOL doesn't work with it, Zwift sometimes works- sometimes it doesn't. When it works its great...when it doesn't its a waste of time the most watts you can achieve is around 220 (for 120 RPM). Not enough hours in the day to muck around with it- I want a turbo to just let me train, not sit working out what new problem it has. Checking on the forums Tacx are renowned for shoddy software. I returned mine. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

See 1 answered question