Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on July 22, 2011
I have been wanting a backpack carrier for some time - one with a metal stand so it would be easier to get my son in and out of. I finally broke down and bought a new one after not being able to find a used one. I purchased this one because it seemed to be reasonably priced and it got good reviews. I was a little nervous about it since some of the people that were petite said that it didn't fit them and that it was too big. I'm 4'11" and it fits me just fine so I am not sure what they are talking about. I also didn't have any problems with it being too tight in the chest area too and I would say I'm a pretty average size. Some of the reviews said that they need someone else to help them with the metal stand - I have not experienced that either. My son is almost 17 months old and he is about 25 pounds and I can take him off of my back and open up the stand by myself. It takes a bit of practice and some upper body strength but after carrying around a child in my arms for over 16 months I would say that I've built up my strength to handle an extra 5 or 6 pounds that comes from the carrier. Right now I'm just starting off on short walks around the neighborhood - it does take a while to build up your muscles but it is comfortable and works great for me. I love that it comes with the sun shade and the pockets that attach to it as well. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait to hit the trails and lose this baby weight!
review image
on October 7, 2011
I have been happy with this item. My kid doesn't love it, because he's always rather be running wild. But he doesn't complain about this backpack. He is comfortable in it. We've been able to enjoy hiking again because he will actually sit in this one. We've tried others where he just complains and wants out. He is happy in this one.

It is a little small for me, 6'1" guy. But the straps are adjustable enough that we've made it work. For the amount we actually use it, it has been great for us. We couldn't justify spending a lot of money on this because we wouldn't use it too often. But it's very handy to have when it's needed, and we have been happy with it for what we paid.
on March 7, 2014
I'm the 63 year old grandpa, but I bought it because it reminded me of a similar but more basic back pack we bought years ago (30+ years ago) that is! Our son loved to ride in the old unit--he could see what was going on around him. I especially recall one evening when he was about 2 when I was coloring Easter eggs for a church/community egg hunt. He leaned around and was fascinated while I dyed dozens of eggs one or two at a time. Fast forward to today. I chose this unit because it allows our grandson to look out and see. Both our sons and our daughter have purchased the Deuter units that are great for backpacking style hikes, but not so efficient for letting baby participate in what it is you are doing.

My suggestion is to buy one of the backpacking style items if you are planning mainly on hikes, say several hours. Consider one of these if you plan for shorter trips closer to home. Our grandson is 22 lb or so (10 kg) and I found this comfortable on a one mile neighborhood stroll.

The major difficulty I see is that grandpa finds it quite difficult to fasten the harness because the straps fasten low down and it is difficult to reach down into the carrier past the child to jab the buckle into its home. Likewise for unfastening. If this were not so difficult I'd probably go 5 stars.
on May 16, 2013
I bought this so that we could go on hikes. The problem is we are on a budget so I wanted something affordable. This was in the price range and had decent reviews. I have used it on walks and it was actually quite comfortable for me. (I am 5'8") We recently took it on a hike (finally) and it held up well and didn't bother me, and our son seems to enjoy the ride whenever he is in it. He is about 30lbs and 34 inches. I don't mind that there is only a small pouch in back, because my husband carries a backpack with our supplies.
on May 14, 2012
We have a very healthy 24 lb 5 month old that constantly looked uncomfortable in the forward facing, back-to-belly, type carriers. In addition to this it was always a pain to get him in and out of the carrier. With this one, it allows our child sit and look around, AND safely fall asleep against the very adequately padded sides. Restraints are top notch. Sits up independently so one parent can safely load and unload the little one. I find the shoulder straps superb, and very seldom use the belly strap. All in all, very pleased with this purchase and recommend it highly.
on December 11, 2012
Bought this for our 21lb 8 month old who doesn't fit comfortably in his front carrier anymore. So far have taken it on some short hour-plus hikes and have been pleased. It fits both myself (5'5" female) and my husband (6'5" male) fine, though he's been the one wearing it for actual hiking. The canopy and rain shield are a nice touch (the rain shield folds up and fits nicely in the included pocket/pack, with room to spare for about a bottle and a snack) for extra shelter. It was easy to put together, easy to use, and seems to be good quality for a price that's quite a bit less than other similar carriers.
on February 26, 2011
We love to geocache and overall this is a great backpack that is comfortable for both my son and husband. We only have a couple of complaints.
1. The breast strap is not adjustable and ends up going across my husbands throat
2. The canopy can't be removed
3. It's a little tricky getting our son buckled in
on February 11, 2010
I have not taken my daughter on any serious hikes yet but I plan on using it on vacation to Thailand. So far she seems to like it and I mostly use it to walk my stairs for exercise, or walking to the grocery store. She has not had to be in it for long period so I can't say how much we are going to like it beyond our short jaunts. What I can say is I dislike the position of the strap adjusting buckle. It rubs right on the delicate skin on the inside of my arm. I think I will have to create a sleeve of soft material to cover the strap so when I arm rubs it will not feel so abrasive. Other then that I love where it sits on my body and I can carry my daughter with ease. Another reviewer had said that it is hard to close the stabilizing leg but I don't have that problem, there is a piece of cloth that runs between the many frame and the stabilizer leg which you can gentle tug on and the leg folds in easily. The leg also seems to be spring loaded so opening it is just as easy, just a little flick outward and it pops open. I am interested to see how it will work for us while on safaris, mountain treks, and all the other things we will do in the 100+ weather of Thailand.
on July 17, 2012
We were worried going for a lower cost backpack like this would come back to bite us, but we love it! It is easy to put on - I'm 5'4" - I just put our 17 month old in the backpack while it is on the floor, sit down and put on the pack.
on August 28, 2012
Once I get my son secured in this he loves it. Its reaching the straps and clicking them into the buckle that is difficult. The buckle is situated at the botton of the seat, and getting my son into the seat along with my hand to hold the buckle so he doesnt sit on it is impossible. (Big hands). So hes not a fan of sitting on the buckle and my hand trying to remove it just to strap him in. In addition, it is difficult to take off your back without help, but having the expandable base allows me to sit it down on the couch, chair, or ground and remove the straps in order to take it off. Laslty, I can only use this pack for about two hours before my back is on fire, maybe more support or a better way to dispense the weight to your waist.