Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on December 8, 2009
At my house, the bread knife gets used every single day, by every member of the family. It gets hammered.

This thing was under ten bucks, cuts through even hard crusty bread like a laser, leaves very few crumbs on the cutting board, and still cuts like a champ a year later.

When it dulls, if I can't sharpen it using a pull-through sharpener (had a little success with this so far) then I'll just buy another just like it. Your serrated, bread-type knives, should be just like this one. Cheap to replace because sharpening them is just a pain, able to hold a good edge for their purpose, easy to clean, and high performance in their intended job. The Kai reverse-scallop edge on this knife is as close to perfect in this price class as I could find.

The only change I'd make is to make it an inch longer and charge a dollar more. You can still cut the big loaves with this, but you'll wish your blade were longer. A small price to pay.

Best bread knife anywhere. Sits proudly in the block with my Shuns, which get professionally sharpened on a regular basis.

You can buy a Shun or Global bread knife, and they are insanely great. But you'll regret the cost when they need sharpening. This knife uses the Shun bread knife edge, has good quality steel, and is easily cleaned with its nonstick coating. I have two Pure Komachi knives, this one and the sandwich knife with the same edge style. I depend on both. The rest of my knives are full-on Global and Shun, and I recommend them just as highly.

Sometimes the best knife is expensive, sometimes the best knife is inexpensive. In this case, I go with the inexpensive one.

Try it--it's only a few bucks and you'll probably love it as much as I do.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2010
This is a versatile knife that I use from carving meat to slicing vegetables. The blade is very thin, so if you're looking for a knife to cut through bones or a whole pumpkin, this may not be the best knife, but it'll easily slice paper thin garlic and mince shallots. The curved blade works great for chopping herbs and the sharp tip allows precise control over carving meat and fish.
I've been using this knife everyday for about 4 months now, and the blade is not showing any signs of dullness. I am planning on getting other series from this line.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 9, 2010
We received a Shun santoku and this fuschia-colored Komachi last Christmas. The Shun is fantastic, but this knife gets used just as much. For some things, like cheese, fruitcake and other sticky foods, the Komachi is much better - slices thinly and cheese doesn't cling. It's lightweight and easy to control. We now have a few knives in the Komachi line and just love them (especially the bread knife) in spite of also owning and using the high-end Shun knives. At first, the bright colors of the Komachi were somewhat off-putting, but once we started using them we found them to be great, supersharp knives and there's no picking through the rack to find what one is looking for!
on December 8, 2010
I bought one of these knives 6 months ago as a joke to get me over the limit for free shipping on.
To my shock, it is not a joke, but a great performing chef's knife. I've used it for slicing,dicing and chopping veggies and herbs. It holds its edge and is well balanced. I've also used it for cutting beef for stew meat and slicing roast beef.

It's a thin blade so don't try cutting frozen meat and such with it.

I just bought 3 more of these knives for stocking stuffers for our married kids. I think they'll enjoy there pink knives too

3 Year Update
It's been 3 years and its still in daily use with only a couple scratches. It takes a steel about once a week to keep it chopping and slicing great. A sharpening about every 6 mo. to restores the edge. I only cut on wood or the cheap plastic cutting mats, so my blades don't get rough treatment, but they get used.
on October 27, 2013
I AM 76 YEARS OLD WITH BAD ARTHRITIS AN STILL HAVE TO COOK . MY OLD WORN OUT NAKIRI KNIFE I BOUGHT IN SAN FRANCISCO CHINATOWN IN 1966, THIS NEW ONE IS PRETTIER , I CAN PICK IT OUT OF THE DRAWER BY COLOR , AND IT CUTS VEGETABLES AND FRUIT VERY WELL INCLUDING CARROTS, CUCUMBERS , TURNIPS , AND SWEET POTATOES AS EASILY AS TOMATOES.
on April 28, 2010
I bake bread..lots of bread. Mostly, I bake the hard, crusty hearth type breads...artisan bread, if you will. When you take the time to create a decent loaf, the last thing you want is to have your bread ripped and shredded because you don't have a sharp serrated bread knife . This is the best bread knife I own. I'm ordering 2 more because my family uses the one I have now for just about everything, and I'm tired of digging around the dishwasher to find the dang thing. I like the feel of it, and the weight..it has a good balance, and the curve of the blade is great for cutting into a crusty loaf of rustic bread. I have the expensive jobbies, and nice though they are, this one is everyone's favorite. The one I have is about a year and a half old and still has a good sharp edge. For the money.....the Komachi can't be beat. (This is also great for cutting into a cantelope)
on August 28, 2011
First off, I read through the positive and negative reviews before placing my order, and the general concerns seemed to be that the handle felt cheap, was smaller than ideal and that the knife was too sharp.

If you're concerned the knife might be too sharp, maybe this knife is too sharp for you. It's very sharp, and that's exactly what my wife and I were looking for. The furnished apartment we just moved into came with knives, but nothing you can cut a tomato with, let alone peel a fruit or vegetable with. When we moved, we sent our belongs by boat, including several nice, sharp Japanese knives, and this knife honestly seems as sharp and as good at cutting as our nice Japanese knives that cost several times what this cost.

Regarding the handle, yes, it is a cheap plastic handle, and as a tall man with large hands, I can say that if I was the primary user of this knife, I'd like a larger handle. That said, my wife, who has slender hands but long fingers, has no problems with the knife handle size, and neither of us expected anything nicer than this for the price of the knife.

The knife coating actually does make rinsing food off the knife easier. If you rinse the knife as you're cooking with it, it rinses clean even when I wouldn't expect a standard knife to rinse clean. That's a nice bonus, and not something I was specifically looking for when I was shopping for this knife. If you let food dry on this knife and come back to it later to wash it, expect to have to scrub the food off just like you would with any other knife, but if you rinse right after you finish using it, it really does rinse clean, which makes cleaning it much easier. I'm not sure how the coating will hold up after repeated cycles in the dishwasher, so like many other things, we wash it by hand, and it looks and cuts great after dozens of uses and washes.

Honestly, as someone who really appreciates a nice and sharp knife, and who was happy to see "too sharp" as a complaint, I expected less from this knife, and was very pleasantly surprised by the job it's done. It was purchased to fill a short term void, as we expected it to be relegated to a spare when our belongs arrived from Japan, but this knife will continue to be one we regularly use, and it was a bargain at the price we paid.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2009
This is the best bread knife my husband and I have ever used. It cuts all kinds of bread (spongy, hard-crusted, holiday fruit and nut-filled cakes,etc.)smoothly and quickly without tearing or excessive crumbs. It's also been used to slice turkey and other items -- it's hard to keep it only for bread because it works so well, and also the bright orange color calls out from the knife block! But don't be fooled by the toy-like color; it's supersharp and sent me to the ER for several stitches when I fumbled it as I was showing it off to a visitor (it barely touched my finger and I didn't even feel it when it cut my finger.) The light weight of the knife may have contributed to the fumble, and is something to keep in mind when first handling it. In spite of that, it immediately became a favorite in our kitchen. This was supposed to be a temporary knife until a "good one" came on sale, but we are no longer in the market for a high-end (expensive) bread knife; this knife is great and we both highly recommend it!
on February 28, 2011
My hubby and I are great cheese fans, and we seem to favor particularly hard and crumbly cheeses... the kind of cheese that destroys wire cheese cutters. That's a lesson you learn the hard way. The 4" tomato/cheese knife cuts such cheese as though it were butter.

Kitchen knives are one of those things: you can basically spend as much as you want on them. However, sometimes spending more money doesn't guarantee you a better product. As always, do your research! I had been needing new kitchen knives for some time, and after researching the various brands out there, I determined that the Pure Komachi series were the best value for me. They are easy to purchase a la carte, which was a big selling point for me. I've had knife sets before, and I find that there are quite a few knives in the set I never use. Buying just the knives you will actually use is a good way to save a little money. I also really like that they are colorful. In addition to giving my kitchen a pretty splash of color (I have a magnetic knife bar, so the knives hang on the wall instead of being jammed in a drawer or knife block, which can dull the blades), the color also serves a useful purpose, by helping you avoid cross-contamination (for example, I always use the pink chef's knife for raw meat).

All in all, a good buy. To be fair, I'm sure you could probably use another reasonably sharp knife with great success on tomatoes and cheese. One downside I see to this knife is that it is only 4", and I've seen some whopping great tomatoes that this knife would be too small to slice. If you're being thrifty and strictly buying only the most basic, essential knives, you could probably skip this tomato/cheese knife and stick with the Pure Komachi 2 Series 6-Inch Serrated Multi-Utility Knife, since I think you'd probably get more mileage out of that one. That said, this knife really does a great job slicing tomatoes and cheese!
on January 5, 2012
I have had a Pure Komachi for a few years now. Mine has an orange handle but it is essentially identical to this knife. I have never put it in the dishwasher as with any knife, from the cheapest to the best, dishwashers are not good for knives. At the very least the action of the water dulls the blades. I imagine that some people had issues with the coating wearing off as well from being less than careful when it comes to cleaning.

I have had no problems whatsoever. When we first got it, it was so sharp it was a little scary. After a year or so of regular use it dulled to extremely sharp but no longer scary. I have never had it sharpened and it works great on bagels, cutting sandwiches, long breads like Italian or French bread, all types of rolls, etc. Regardless of whether what you are cutting is hard or soft it does an equally good job.

It's very easy to clean so a little soap and water on a sponge, dry it with a dish cloth and in 20 seconds you're done. I found the size to be perfectly suited to cutting bagels without cutting yourself. I will occasionally use it to put mayo on a sandwich but then I have to wash it, so most of the time I just use it for bread and bagels so it gets washed only occasionally.

It's definitely our favorite knife. We use it all the time every day. Would I carve a turkey with it? No, but I wouldn't race in the Indianapolis 500 in a minivan either. Nothing is good for everything. This knife is excellent for a variety of functions. Use it appropriately, take reasonable care when cleaning it and it should last you 10 or more years. Ours is 3 or 4 years old and shows no signs of wear.