Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

If you listen to AM a lot and want a digital radio with presets, you don't have a lot of options. You can spend about $75 on the Sangean PR-D5, a very good radio, or spend about $160 on the slightly better CCR-2. I find I like the bigger speaker on the CCR-2 than I do the small twin speakers on the PR-D5. Also the big presets on top of the CCR-2 are easy to find if you're toggling in a dark bedroom and you won't push the radio over. In contrast, the PR-D5 has tiny buttons on the front and it's very easy to tip it over.

FM reception on my CCR-2 has proven to be well above average and even my weak station 89.3 KPCC comes in loud and clear. However, there is hiss on 89.3 through my earbuds, but no hiss on the other, more strong FM stations I listen to on the buds.

As far as a clock radio goes, the CCR-2 is better than the PR-D5 simply for the tip-over factor. If you're not a big AM listener, you might want to look at the Boston Acoustics Horizon Solo, which costs about $90 and has far better fidelity, warmth, and richness of any other table radio I've had and/or tested.

I suspect most people will be happy with the CCR-2. Don't take the great AM reception for granted on this strong radio. Most ferrite antennas are only about 3.5 inches or so and deliver at best mediocre AM. The PR-D5 and the CCR-2 are the only digital radios you can buy now that I know of that have a 200mm (8 inch) ferrite internal AM antenna. If you listen to AM, as I do and are looking for a bedside radio, the CCR-2 is a strong choice.
review image review image
0Comment| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2009
If you are looking to get a top-of-the-line radio, this is the one to get. The only thing I can say negative about this radio is that the price is a little steep. Its not for everyone but for those serious radio people out there, get this radio. I heard there were some quality issues with the 1st Ccrane radio but they have all been resolved with this radio. It has weather, HAM, AM and FM. It also has an alarm, timer, sleep function and just about everything you need or can have in a radio except World Band. When I got this radio I was surprised how solid and heavy it feels, especially with the batteries in it (4-D cells) I got the black model (not silver) and was also surprised how good it looks. This radio also has a line out and line in jack and place for a external AM antenna. It has all the bells and whistles someone could possible want or ask for. I havent used the HAM radio function yet and probably wont too much but I hear it could come in handy if a natural disaster occurs and knocks out the local radio stations or other media. The weather channel works great and is a nice feature when you want to check the local weather. It also has a weather alert function that you can keep on and the radio will alert you if there is severe weather on the way. Again, probably not a feature you will use a lot but its great to have just in case. AM and FM work great and you probably wont find a radio that outperforms this radio or has all the features this radio has. It also has a built in light that you can keep on or turn off when you choose. I was debating on whether to purchase this radio because of the price but I am glad I did. I have it on all the time and like the timer feature because I can keep it on when I go to bed and can set it for 120, 90, 60, 30 or 15 minutes and it will turn off if I dose off at night and wont drain the batteries. Like I said, I have had this radio for about 3 months and absolutely love it. A feature I am the most surprised about, I forgot to add, is the sound quality is very, very good. I used to have a GE Super Radio III and thought the sound quality was good but this radio is even better. Well good luck if you purchase this radio and I hope this review has helped make your decision.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2009
The new C. Crane CC Radio-2 is a unique product - unique in that it provides exceptionally sensitive AM/FM reception, the 2 Meter VHF HAM band, Weather Band with Weather Alerting, full digital features such as memory presets, clock and timer functions and it can operate on its built in AC power supply or 4 D cells. And specifically, as of this writing, the CC Radio-2 is the most sensitive digitally tuned AM portable you can buy. It is well made and feels solid and natural to use. As an AM radio junkie I find it an especially fun radio to band scan with knowing that it will hear anything that is there to be heard plus it adds digital tuning accuracy.
I believe users of the previous CC Radio models will be well pleased with the changes and improvements incorporated into the CCR2. Those unfamiliar with the CC Radio line will find this to be an attractive quality product that provides them with excellent reception and clock/alarm/timer functions that provide them with a lot of flexibility.
on January 19, 2010
I like talk radio which is on the AM part of the dial, so I figured that I would spend the considerably extra money to get this special radio. I am very gentle with tools, so I figured that it would last a long time (and I was not planning to let anybody but me use it). A few (like 3)months later, it stopped working. Didn't drop it or anything. I was crazy busy with work, so I put it on the back burner. Finally, about 6 months later I called CCradio and told them the situation. I explained that it had happened a while ago. Their response was that there was nothing they would do about it. I could send it in (and pay for the shipping) and they would TRY to repair it, charging me a minimum of $59.95 to see if they could see what the problem was. There was no promise to fix it, just to look at it. The actual cost to repair would be whatever it turned out to be. My hundred and some dollar radio could turn out to be a two hundred and some dollar radio. No thanks.
If I buy a $30 radio, I don't expect too much if it fails in 3 months. When the radio costs $150 or so, I expect a high level of service to match the high level of pricing. They and their radio failed. I would never buy from them again.

PRODUCT UPDATE!!!!!
I recently had some free(er) time and decided to see if I could find out what was wrong with the CCR radio. It turned out that the perfectly APPEARING speaker was defective (no torn speaker cone - nothing). I replaced the speaker and - voila! - now works again. The company still rates low with me. Poor product support is a deal breaker.
1919 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2010
Bought it to replace a 25 year old Sanyo radio at work (a great radio and about the same physical size as the CCR2). Quick A/B testing revealed that inside our all metal building with no windows which is packed with running electronics and florescent lighting. The old Sanyo was still able to pull in nine AM stations at mid day. The CCR2 pulled in 26 just minutes later.

I have some experience in this area. At home I have an Icom IC-7600 connected to a K9AY array and a one thousand foot loop antenna at 50 feet high.

IMO, well worth the money.
on January 25, 2010
I have had my CC Radio-2 for about a month. We recently had a nasty snowstorm up here in the sierras recently and we lost power for 28 hours. The radio performed great and was able to reach a number of AM and FM radio stations for information about the road conditions and weather. The Weather band came in very clear. The HAM band was also useful in hearing what others had to say about the road and weather conditions during the storm. The only disappointment was with the CalTrans radio broadcast on road conditions (AM 1610). It could be heard in Angels Camp (30 miles away) but not where I live (Arnold). They really need to improve that broadcast. I think this radio will pick up just about any AM radio station that makes it up here (4,000 ft. elev.). I even received a station broadcasting from Spokane, Washington. More importantly, Come this spring and summer, I will be able to get the SF Giants broadcasts!!!!
on February 27, 2010
This radio is the strongest in AM reception I have ever owned. I live in Pittsburgh PA and i picked up a radio station in Idaho one night. Seems to be good quality as far as I can tell also.
on August 5, 2010
I am glad I purchased the CC2T radio, which seemed pricey but has many more features than the 25-year-old Radio Shack model which had sputtered in my kitchen until I'd had enough and decided to upgrade. I'm a musician with plenty of experience with audio gear, and the CC2T checks out well both mechanically and electronically. The tuning knob has detents which you can actually feel and hear as you turn from frequency to frequency, the volume knob operates smoothly, and the station preset and other buttons all signal with a positive click when pressed. Even without batteries, the unit has a solid feel. You can safely lift it using the indentation the back, which has a non-slip grip pad. The battery compartment has twin latches to doubly secure against accidental dumping if you use this as a portable.

Electronic functions all check out as well. My primary use of this radio is FM, but I have experimented with the other bands and found them functional, although any useful ham radio reception probably requires an external antenna. Reception in my suburban Boston area is normally good, and the CC2T's digital tuner is picking up more distant stations that were previously inaudible. The weather alert function kicked in prior to a severe rainstorm this past month, and the resulting power-outage didn't effect the radio, which switched seamlessly to battery power. Tone controls for high and low frequency function well, and the audio is adjustable to suit music or news content. The speaker does what you would expect of a small speaker ... this ain't hi-fi, but it's very good as monaural table radios go, and you can use headphones for stereo reception.
on July 18, 2012
I have had a CC radio plus for several years but because of the company's claims of even better reception with the CC2 newer version I purchased it. I did this even though I have long been frustrated by the availability of only five preset buttons. Certainly Crane is aware of this shortcoming but has long ignored users complaints. In any case, the reception on the new version for AM does not seem substantially better and in fact when trying to listen to stations I normally receive on my older model I found that there was considerable interference from nearby stations at night making it very unenjoyable to try and listen to them. I therefore have returned the product and am sticking with my older unit while I search for a better radio for night time AM listening.
on March 24, 2012
Purchased the CC radio from C Crane with high hopes. AM reception is nothing special -- FM is awful. LED stopped working as did radio presets. When I called C Crane for assistance with the alarm that could not be turned off because the LED was not visible, support was unable to assist -- LED cannot be repaired. Finally have given up hope -- now searching for a reasonably priced radio w/ decent customer support reviews and substantial warranty. C Crane is a hype!