Casio Men's PAW2000-1CR "Pathfinder" Digital Watch with Black Band
Color Name: BlackChange
Price:$257.01 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 16, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This is my first Pathfinder and I am really impressed. I am putting it through its paces right now in Afghanistan and it is doing very well. I bought it to replace a 4 yr old G-Shock (tough solar) that would not recharge anymore. The functions are great. The compass is accurate for general direction and navigating. The barometer has been on par with several other instruments I have at my dispossal in the military. I have not had a chance to really play with the altimeter but its generally within 5 ft of the GPS unit I also use. I had to go into the programing and input the lat and long for my position (extreamly easy) to get a more accurate sunrise and set times and they are spot on now. I see some of the other reviews about the functions and I offer this. If your are trying to reach a barn a few miles north of your position then the watch will get you there (if you have oriented your map properly and know how to do terrain association of course). If you are looking for a roll of quarters on the ground the same distance away, use a GPS. The only reason I didnt give it a 5 star rating is comfort. It has a great large face and unless you cinch it down tight (not comfertable) it will slide down and pinch the top of your wrist when you turn it up during some activities like pushups or holding a guardrail. Also, It has two small "wings" underneath it that keep the watch centered really well on your wrist and support the bands. The draw back is that despite the fact that I am not a hairy man, those little plastic parts have managed to pull and tug on all 4 hairs on my wrist...not comfertable. I typically wear my rugged time peices through just about anything...I take this one off before I go to sleep to keep the hair pulling and wrist pinching to a minimum.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I am really impressed with slick design of this pathfinder. I liked the PAW1500 series very much. But I settled with PAW2000 because of its slick design.

Cons:
The display is not as crisp as the PAW1500.
The wave and moon reading tech in missing.

Pros:
excellent design (slim and elegant)
bigger and cluster free display
multi-function pointer overlay display is very useful.
Compared PAW1500 and 2000 side by side; PAW2000 was faster than the 1500 in determining the direction and altimeter readings.

Overall this is an excellent watch.
on April 22, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
so, like you i read every review i could on this watch..which one to get, its alot of money, so i kept reading everything i could, the PAW 2000 is excellent, 1st the bad things...the altimeter isnt really accurate, it works on air pressure, so at my house my altitude can change up to 100 feet due to weather conditions...no biggy though...i can reset it manually(20ft increments)just have a reference to zero it in at(find online easy). 2nd is the radio updates it recieves at night...its kinda a hit and miss depending on weather conditions( and where you put it at), i live in washington state, kinda far from fort collins CO, but mine updates about 3 times a week, i also have manually updated it during the day and takes about 10 minutes and afew trys(has a indicator on your signal strength). 3rd the LED backlight needs to be alittle longer, you have a option of 1 sec, 3 sec...a 5-8 sec would have been nice, especially when you trying to use one of the ABC functions at night and they have a slight delay to get thier measurments. 4th temp doesnt get accurate readings unless the watch is off your wrist, or temp is higher then 90F, takes about 10-20 minutes to get accurate reading(+/- 1-3 degrees according to airforce base weather station a mile away). 5th alarm could be alittle louder
6th very big instruction manual, take it 1 step at a time, time zone 1st, next set you lat/long as close as you can(comes with lat/long for major cities)shouldnt be hard to find, this will get you your sunrise/sunset times(which is why i bought this over the 1500...and accurate with no preprogramming by user except for lat/long)also, setting for GMT(zulu) wont work with daylight savings time...so pick another city(lisbon/paris) if you use GMT for second time zone like i do or you'll be a hour off...thats about it...all the measurements except for mentioned above are fairly accurate, has 5 alarms, chimes at top of hour, 12/24 hour format, timer(24hour coutndown) stop watch, and barometric grapgh that auto updates every 2 hours letting you get a good idea on how weather is gonna be....but remember...its a watch..used to tell time, which it does accurately..its nice saying...im right your wrong, my watch is synced off a atomic clock:) great buy, no regrets...hope this helps:)
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I wanted the resin version because it is half the weight of the titanium version. My only concern was the few who have said the band pinches their wrist. I'm happy to say that I wear it fairly loosely and I haven't experienced a single pinch. I have a pretty small wrist and minimal hair for reference sake and I've been wearing this day and night.

This watch is everything it has been advertised to be. I've been saving up for a pathfinder since the 1300 series was introduced and it is very satisfying to finally have one on my wrist. The screen is not recessed at all, so somewhat susceptible to scratches. I had an old PDA screen protector that I cut out and put on the screen. Without staring at it from 3 inches away, you can't even notice.

Other concerns were some said it was harder to read than the 1500. I find it very easy to read, nice large numbers, and extremely wearable everyday, even for a small wrist. The dual LCD screens is great, and I can't tell the difference of clarity from a 1500. Fits under dress shirts just fine.

I got the battery down to medium the first day from some extensive use, but two hours in the sun the next day and it was back to high and it's been high ever since.

This is my third Casio solar, second atomic, and first ABC. My g-shock couldn't hold a charge after about 4 years and I didn't want to pay $30 to fix it, the second is still going strong and I wear it on dressier occasions, this one gets everyday/outdoor duty.
on December 7, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
For the last 6 or so years I have worn a very similar watch to the PAW-2000 (Highgear Summit/Altitech). This was a lower functioning watch which was sufficient but needed user calibration often. Last month a band tang broke off of the body rendering it unusable as anything other than a pocketwatch. My wife decided she could repair it using her handy-dandy mini screwdriver set on the 4 screws on the back of the watch. When screw number 4 was removed the watch exploded and disemboweled itself throwing mini circuit boards and other parts onto the floor. Upon receiving my new PAW-2000 from Amazon I was happy to see that user access to the interior is severely limited. I now have a beautiful new watch which functions in perfect order exactly as advertised and is unrepairable by my wife. Thank you Casio and Amazon.
on March 12, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I stopped wearing a watch a couple of years age and used my cell phone for time. Didn't realize how much I missed having a watch until I got this one and started using it. My previous watch was a Casio G Shock. It was too thick and I had problems with it catching on my sleeve. I'm an engineer and wear a lot of long sleeve dress shirts.

Anyway the Pathfinder is not too big. The dial is big enough for my 59 year old eyes to see it. It is thinner and a little bigger diameter than the G Shock.

Best features are the atomic clock accuracy and no battery to replace. I actually got this model because of the sunrise/sunset feature. It rounds off to the nearest 5 minutes. It is handy as I'm always up before dawn and need to plan my running or bike riding based on the daylight. I don't like riding in the dark.

The barometer is good, but the altimeter is not as handy as I expected. The problem is it has to be adjusted when the barometric pressure changes. For example I live at 75' elevation, but when I got the watch it read 320 feet. I adjusted the reading to 80 feet, but the next day the weather changed (rain storm blew out) and I was reading -40 feet, still at home.

It will be OK for hiking where you can set it to a known altitude and it should be reasonably accurate for a few hours.

I tried the compass, but am not sure if I want to set the declination for my area or leave it as is. It should be OK for random use. The temperature is not super useful as it seems to measure my wrist temperature and I do not really want to take it off and let it stabilize to get a more accurate reading. Not likely I'm going to drop it in a cup of water to see how hot it is.

The alarm works, but it is a little too quiet. I don't always hear it. The back light is cool but again it could be a little brighter. I'm sure this is to conserve battery power.

Over all I like the watch and plan on wearing it for a long time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2010
Color Name: Black
I have an older PAG-50 which I wanted to wear but after buying it, I realized it was just too heavy and thick at 14mm so it in my display case instead.

I waited another ten years and then noticed the PAW-2000 where Casio has drastically reduced the thickness down to 11mm and about halved the weight.

This unit is much better as a daily wearer, and I have made it even better by replacing the stock band and strapping on a Casio G-SHOCK 24mm cloth/velcro band which fits perfectly through the band loops.

This is the Best Pathfinder yet, hands-down. And it is a steal in price when compared to similar watches from other brands which mainly provide you with deeper waterproofing, if you need that sort of thing.

I am glad Casio brought back the compass 2nd layer display which I loved on my PAG-50; and it's what kept me from upgrading all these years.

Buy this watch if you are considering any pathfinder unit.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The Casio PAW2000 is a solid watch that will do your basic functions and above all tell time well. The main function, which is telling time, and also the other functions as Alt, Bar, Therm, and Compass works accurately.

-Time- syncs atomically so the time is accurate and serves it purpose

-Battery- solar charging and that also works well. I have been working in Iraq and I work nights, so I don't see much daylight and its still charged on high with a few minutes of sunlight and artificial lighting.

-Alt- this function varies a bit but overall tells the elevation in feet or meters. My suggestion is when you are about to use the function on a hike, just set the elevation with a reference point and it should work well. You can also map out total ascent and decline to track your progress.

-Baro- This works great and also gives the trend for the past couple of hours. I have looked at this and it does work with bad weather approaching. You can see it drop and monitor the changes throughout the day. Reads in Hpascals and inches.

-Therm- this function works with the sensor in the Baro readings. With this you will have to take the watch off your arm to get an accurate reading, which is also pretty close compared to my other therm I have.

-Compass- the reading is pretty accurate and when you use it you have 25 seconds to get your bearing. I think it is enough time to get the measurements you need and to carry on with your activity. I would also suggest to set it again with another compass to keep it correctly working.

-Sunset/Sunrise- This works great. Its fairly accurate if you place in your Long/Lat and it will give you the days sunrise and sunset. You can also move through the days to get another days sunrise and sunset. Perfect feature when you are out and working on something, so you can know when to wrap things up and settle in for the night.

-World Time- I like this feature since I am in the Army and travel a lot. I always leave it on Eastern time and I will know what the time it is at home to make calls wherever I may be at the time.

-Stopwatch- Works well and gets the job done. I wont bore you with small details but it will take splits and so forth.

-Timer- I use this function a lot to know when I need to make a comment while I'm at work during the job. Simple function every watch should have.

-Alarms- It has 5 alarms, which should be plenty. Loud enough, even if it is not as loud as an alarm clock you have at home. I like the additional alarms, so I can use it as my personal snooze.

-Band- I see the other reviews about this and so far I only had one instance where there was a tug on the hairs. Definitely not painful and other than that, I don't have problems with the band at all. I also think it is pretty comfortable and the "wings" help to make the watch stay in place. I do know the band will wear out before the life of the watch is done, but that is a good thing, meaning that the watch will last several years.

Overall I went with this watch, because I know this is a rugged watch and will stand the test of time as with my previous Casio's. I really wanted to atomic and solar functions, so I will have the peace of mind of set it and forget it. Never have to worry about the accuracy in time and the hassle of changing the batteries with a Suunto every 8-10 months. Since the housing is never opened the water resistance (10 bars)should not be harmed. As for the sensors, its does what you want in a watch to supplement it with these extra features. By the time the battery starts to lose its charge, I will be ready to update the watch and replace it with a new watch anyway, but in the meantime this watch serves it purpose and works well on top of looking sharp.
on September 15, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I got this watch a few days ago and I love it already. It's very useful to be able to see the barometric pressure and have some idea of what the weather is going to be like. I've also been having fun with the altimeter, logging ascents/descents on bike rides (of course the measured altitude will fluctuate with changes in air pressure, but this is quickly and easily accounted for with a quick calibration. Those that are complaining about their altimeter not working properly should probably take a closer look at the manual). I'm also planning on doing a rock climbing trip this year and a mountaineering trip next year, where the alti/baro/compass/sunrise/sunset functions will get a proper workout; I'll be sure to post an update when that happens.

The watch IS large, but not overwhelmingly so. I was worried it might look silly on me, but it looks quite nice on my wrist (which is relatively slim). It's light and very comfortable, meaning I don't notice it when I don't need to. It is also user-friendly and logical to work with, and a quick read of the manual will be enough to cover most of its functions. Thus far, the solar charging has worked well and the battery indicator has never been below 'High'.

Overall, I'm very happy. This watch will suit anyone who is active in the outdoors, or just keen on knowing alti/baro/compass data for the fun of it.

UPDATE: I recently got back from a mountaineering trip up to a snowy, 2000m peak. The watch performed fantastically! I was able to check the altitude against a map and only had to calibrate a few times. And even then, the altitude was only off by 10-20m. It was nice to log everything I did over the 2 days and get a readout of my max. altitude, total ascents, etc. The compass was about as accurate as my friend's handheld, which is reassuring. The sunrise/sunset times were pretty much spot on.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I recently purchased this watch from Amazon and could not be more happy so far. I did a lot of research on these watches as I did not know much about ABC watches but was looking for a sporty everyday watch. I was deciding between the PAW2000, PAW1500, G Shock Riseman or a Suunto Core. Decided against the Suunto because it does not have the atomic feature or solar power. I then chose the PAW2000 over the other 2 Casio's because it had a nice classy look and had the 2 features I wanted most (solar & atomic). Also the sunrise/sunset feature is nice.

These are my pros:
1. Atomic timekeeping
2. Solar power
3. Tilt auto EL
4. Size & weight
5. Bezel does not turn

I also couldn't be more happy with the Amazon overnight shipping. I ordered the watch around 3pm on a Friday and the UPS guy was at my door with the watch at 9am on Saturday. I highly recommend this watch if you're looking for a cool everyday watch with some nice features.
review image review image review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations