Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on September 8, 2010
I researched which new TV to get for several months. I went back and forth between Plasma and LCD or LED. I went to all the usual stores and looked at the TV's side by side, trying to figure out which picture I liked the best. For a larger TV (bigger than 55") I liked the Sony 60EX500 the best. The colors looked the most natural to me. Some of the LED sets, the colors seemed a bit too bright and exagerated.

I have had the set about 5 days now, and I spent all Sunday watching TV. I watched a bunch of sports in HD. I watched some football that looked great. I watched some baseball that was so clean, it was better than being there. I watched some golf, and the details on the greens and course made me think I could read the puts as good as the caddies.

I watched a couple episodes of Wild Russia with the kids, and the colors were so bright and clean, while the blacks were dark but didn't bleed at all. I even watched the 5th Element in HD, and was amazed at how great that movie still is all these years later.

Overall, the picture quality is very clean and realistic. I was very impressed with the black levels of this set as well. To me, it had the best picture quality and features for the price.
on January 26, 2011
I did not buy this tv from Amazon.com but feel compelled to review it here. I had a five year old WEGA 60" that was 720p but top of the line in it's day. Three months out of my 5 year extended warranty a blue haze began to appear across the bottom of the screen. I called Sony and they informed me it was the dreaded optical engine failure. I could take photos, jump through a couple hoops and they would give me a new 40", a 46" for $250 or this 60" for $550.00. Once you go 60 there's no going back so it was this set we bought. It arrived very timely and so far we love it (and love those class-action law suits). I went onto the AVS Forum and found a tech who had calibrated this same set. I carefully copied all the settings and WOW! Lotsa' punchy, realistic color yet not glassy, or candy looking. Blacks are deep and various levels of black are very distinguishable. I know I made a worthwhile upgrade when I find myself rewatching all my blu-ray dvd's to catch the detail I was missing before.
Only downside is sound. The old rear-projection lcd set had awesome sound. This thin model has little room for speakers and subwoofers. I have a surround sound system but will still invest soon in a small sound bar or some powered speakers for non-theater listening. Just hoping to set the record a little straighter. Sony customer service may have treated someone poorly but that shouldn't reflect on the review of this set. That's a review of their customer service. One last word. Careful calibration of any set can make a huge difference. Plan on doing it when you purchase a set.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2010
I bought the Brazilian version of this tv about two months ago and I just get more satisfied with it every day! Excellent color, detail, contrast and..it's BIG!!!Bluray shows all its greatness when watched in this tv! It's simply THE BEST tv I've ever own! Don't notice motion blurr as someone else stated. Recommend it highly!!!!
on February 8, 2011
I had a sony SXRD KDS-60A200 for about 5 years and started having issues. I called Sony for help and they said they would send me out this TV for a very small price. It was a win/win. I got a new TV and they get rid of some older inventory and kept a customer in the Sony family.

When I read the review on Amazon before the TV came, I was expecting a big PoS TV to arrive at my house. I gotta tell ya, the picture is outstanding, the setup was easy, more HDMI hookups than I know what to do with. This thing is great for gaming, blu-ray and everyday HDTV use. This years superbowl looked amazing. If I was to do a side by side comparison of a bunch of TV's in my living room I may be a bit more critical. If I was going from a large HQ plasma to this I may be a bit more critical. I jumped from a 5yr old 1080p that I was impressed with to this which is awesome. I have a big room to fill and the super plasmas and 3D TV's that are rated highly will run you about 3 - 7 grand for the same size TV. If you have that kind of coin to drop...more power to you. This is an outstanding TV which you can find for $1,300.00 that will still WOW your friends when they come over and serve all the mainstream technology. Let's face it...there is really not that much in 3D at this time so I'll hold off on that technology until prices come down and it solidifies it's market position.

As an added bonus...Sony's customer support became rock stars in my eyes with all their help.
on March 7, 2011
Excellent Hd and Sd picture. Plenty of inputs and outputs. Sound quality for built in speakers more than adequate. The colors and sharpness are not the best but in this price category cannot be beat. The picture is just a tad below that of Samsung 60" LN60C630 LCD, but not by much. Colors are vibrant but not overly saturated and false like Sharp Quattron. Clearer picture than Sharp 60" LCD LC-60E77UN or LC-60E78UN. I prefer LCD over plasma. The room the TV is in has a large picture window with a lot of light during daylight. The matte screen effectively reduces glare unlike many plasmas eg LG - 60PK550C. The screen is much more vivid than plasma and does not appear artificial in movies. The 120 hz motion control appears effective.The original price was $1479. Tigerdirect had a 2 day special on this unit and Amazon kept its price match guarantee(14 days). The final price including free shipping , total was $1299 for a 60" HDTV. Cannot be beat. Amazon service is as good as brick and mortar. The set was delivered on time but was not set up as promised. Complained to customer service and was given a partial refund which resulted along with price match to the final price of $1299. However to be sure you get the price guarantee and return policy(30days from receiving they will take tv back including I believe free shipping) the TV should be bought through Amazon not a third party vendor. The set does not have internet capability but can be add eg with x box. No 3d.
on January 29, 2011
I am watching this New Sony 60" Bravia and upgraded my HDMI cable as well for 240hz and just can't believe the picture right out of the box. After calibrating i was amazed at the black levels and overall picture brightness. Connected the blu-ray and the whole family was just blown away, the stunning detail and sharpness was amazingly clear. We sit aprox 16 feet back from the set and despite a window close by the set has no reflections, and adjusts automatically for the color and brightness levels. No monitor will have decent sound, so i invested in a Marantz AV Rcvr and Klipsch surround speakers and a subwoofer from Velodyne. The sound is more important than the monitor to me, but i'm pleased with this Model.
review image
on February 10, 2011
My new Sony KDL60EX500 has a strobe light effect, clearly evident in my video. It has been 6 weeks since I requested service (December 28, 2010). I bought it 8 weeks ago. Sony has PROMISED to fix my TV by April 1, 2011. Let's be clear, Sony is taking over 90 days to fix my new TV. Personally, I find this quality of service to be unacceptable, and I find it very disappointing. Be warned!!
on July 27, 2011
We had a 2005 SXRD, we'd had to have the optical block replaced 1 due to green screen effect (not cost to us). Then a year later I'm noticing that when the TV is showing something w/a white background (HDTV has lots of this) there was "yellow burn out". Sony CS offered us this TV for $150, we said heck yeah! And, after jumping through their various hoops, got this one in the mail, for a total of $163! More than worth it! Its just amazing! The difference in quality (and, if they hadn't of offered, we'd of lived w/the old one) is just jaw dropping! We will be very happy with it till the LED's & 3D's become decently priced. Also, you probably already know this, but we sit about 16 ft away & recently got a new entertainment center that raised it from approx 30inches off the floor to 60 & wow, big, big, big difference, much better! Like watching a drive in movie screen almost.
on January 19, 2012
Sony KDL 60EX500 delivered on time. Cosmetic condition of TV as described in Amazon Marketplace Ad. The TV is watchable for bright content, but has what appears to be multiple bad pixels appearing as a red oval streaked area on lower portion of center of screen in darker scenes. This was not mentioned in the product condition description. I got a great price, but it was not a "perfect TV" as advertised. I give it three stars for the low price,($807.00 with shipping) relatively good cosmetic condition for a used TV, good picture with bright content, sports, etc. Sound is average. I deducted two stars for the apparent bad pixels evident on video with dark content, night scenes, dark blank screen etc. which may require technician repair or panel replacement to bring TV up to factory specifications, and the fact that the company who sold the TV thru Amazon never responded to my Email about this problem.
on October 17, 2014
Pros: Good picture.
Cons: Can't keep it running. It shuts off and restarts several times a day. When this happens you lose the tv guide, internet apps, and have to reset the clock and date. Customer service had me unplug it, check for latest firmware, and reset the tv (usually about a 30 - 60 minutes process). This doesn't correct the issue. I see other people have the same issue.
I'd rate it 4 stars if I could keep it running. This has been an ongoing problems for about 2 years.