Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on October 11, 2010
This is one of my son's Fisher-Price toys that he actually plays with. He is 17 months and is not interested in things that just make noise and flash lights anymore. With this toy he practices putting the shapes through the holes, turning on and off the light, putting the food on the shelf in the fridge, and putting the pan on the stove, in the oven, and in the sink. We also ask him questions and talk to him about the toy so he learns various foods and kitchen items. All toys are more fun for kids when you interact with them!

With four settings, I don't get as tired of listening to this toy as I do others - each setting has different phrases and music that keep it interesting for the child and adult. I don't think he'll play with it for too much longer, but we will probably get it out again as soon as our next child can sit up.

After reading other reviews, I also wanted to say that our son has never pinched his fingers in the door and spends a good amount of time opening, closing, and moving the kitchen around. He used to pinch his fingers all the time in our real kitchen cabinets, so maybe this is a live and learn thing.

The only thing I would change is a way to keep it closed and a handle so it could be moved around with the pieces inside.

UPDATE: My son continued to play - A LOT - with this toy until he was 26 months old and we bought him a Kidkraft wooden kitchen. Even then he still played with this for a few weeks until I finally put it away. Granted, he is very into kitchen/cooking type activities, but I really think you can't go wrong with this toy from about 6 months and on, for boys or girls! We spent many hours playing with this together.
22 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2011
I was hesitant to buy this toy after reading reviews about babies' fingers getting smashed. I'm a hand surgeon, so the whole smashing fingers thing goes against most of my principles! However, the kitchen looked so fun that I thought I'd give it a shot, and return it if the risk was real. I closely supervised my 8 month old for a few weeks - she totally loved all the songs and sound effects, but never got fingers caught anywhere. Though, her favorite thing to do is swipe down all the "groceries" (comes with milk, carrots, and ketchup) that I stack on the shelf of the fridge door.

I tried to close my own fingers in the door, and really couldn't figure out how this could smash fingers. I compared the toy we received to the one in the manufacturer pics ... the door has been redesigned since those pics were taken (I'm assuming in response to the finger-smashing thing). You can see the difference in multiple pictures, but especially the 4th one from the left on the Amazon site that's kind of an oblique view with the door closed. The white part of our door is cut so that there's a 2 inch segment that can actually touch the blue base, but the remainder of the door has a space so that fingers can't get caught.

Reviewers also commented that their kids knocked the kitchen over. My little girl did that a few times at first when she didn't know how to swing to door of the fridge open on the hinge. Once she figured it out, it didn't topple except when she pushed it over on purpose - we can tell by her giggles and proud face. I only gave 4 stars because the "range" on the first kitchen we got didn't play music when you pressed it. The range on the second one worked, but the ball above it that you roll (which happened to be one of her fave parts of the first fridge) didn't play music reliably. So, a little lacking on the quality control, but still worth it once you get one that is fully functional.

If you have Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks, the round, triangular, and square blocks from this set also fit through the door in the fridge part of the kitchen!

Just noticed the current selling price is the retail price... I happened to get this for 40-50% off, which is a good value and what I think the toy is actually worth. Not sure that it's worth the full retail value, especially when I've gone through 2 that don't work 100%.
on June 26, 2010
This toy REALLY held my 10 month olds interest, she loves it BUT she has smashed her fingers twice in less than a week! It opens and closes too easily, the fridge door is too light compared to the sink side and when slightly moved one side always falls shut on the other. Since she likes to move it around her little hands keep getting caught. All babies are curious and cannot be expected to leave a toy sitting where you leave it. Since she is so entertained with it we took the center hinge out so that she can still play with the two separate parts.
on September 26, 2010
My 1 year old daughter receive this kitchen for her first birthday. I almost pass on this one because of the poor reviews, but it looks like a great toy and it was on sale. It's a great buy, my daughter loves it. It was the most popular gift among the girlie crowd at her birthday. It's a small kitchen if you compare with the fisher-price farm or fisher-price home, but it's packed with songs and activities. There's a shape sorter, an oven door, a small book that plays music inside the fridge, there's a drawer, a tap, a stove top and a trash can. Lots of songs, even a bilingual option. All for all, it's a great toy, I recommend it.
on November 17, 2010
I agree completely with the other person who had the title "Not well built." It is advertised for babies as young as 6 months. My baby is 9-months old and is fascinated with this little toy. However, it is not very stable and can easily be pulled forward to hit little faces. There is a door that can catch little fingers. He was so excited about it, it broke my heart when the he pulled on it and the stupid thing hit him in the mouth. My solution was to open up the toy and bind it tightly to the playpen. This has prevented it from falling forward and the door closing on my babies fingers.

I have never given a bad review, but I really believe that Fisher Price toys should be better than this -- or perhaps raise the recommended age.
review image
on September 13, 2011
I read on the saftey issues other people had and adjusted the toy:

Put the hard side of velcro on the bottom of the toy so it will "cacth" on carpet. This will hold the toy in place and it wont topple over as easily. If you have hard wood, simply apply the soft side of the velcro to where your child plays with the toy (its just tape and will come off when cleaned). As for the pinching finger, if you have the toy on foam flooring, it makes it not so easy to close the fridge door.. child hasnt pinched fingers for the months she has played with it.
on April 14, 2015
Son loves this toy, The only thing with this one is that its small so my son likes to climb on it which he tends to always fall over, so I have to put it against a couch. Wish the ice box door would have a lock so it's easy to carry.

(8 month old)
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on July 28, 2011
My son just turned 1 and i bought this for him. He loves it. Le likes how everything makes noise, you can open the oven nd the water makes noise. I like how it has lots of options to play with and the sounds too.
review image review image
on February 21, 2011
My son and I love this toy. I bought it for him this past Christmas when he was 8 months and it has been a hit ever since. He loves everything about this toy and I love the catchy tunes. One of the least annoying toys he has.
on September 6, 2011
My son received this gift for his 1st birthday a couple months ago, and it continues to be his favorite toy. Many toys now have buttons that play music or teach skills, but this kitchen set is different for a couple reasons. First, it has numerous working parts that keep his attention. The faucet moves; the refrigerator opens; the light switch moves; the garbage opens and provides a slide to the oven...these activities are more interesting to him than just pushing a button.

Sometimes the activities will make realistic kitchen sounds (sizzling when you push the burner, for example), and sometimes they trigger a song or the alphabet or counting. So my son likes to push them repeatedly to see what will happen each time. Since the songs are not annoying and the volume is quieter than what you find in many kids' toys, I don't really mind. And even when he's not using the whole kitchen, my son likes to use the "kitchen utensils" in our real kitchen or with other toys. He has gotten so much use out of this set, it has paid for itself several times over.