Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on August 16, 2014
I can't believe that I found this air conditioner on Amazon.
Friedrich stopped making this air conditioner, they sell the Kuhl Series now.
I purchased the Kuhl Series and I hate it!!!! The Kuhl Series compressor is quiet, but the Blower speed is ridiculous. Low speed is so loud, it's like high speed on the XQ Series.
The XQ Series blower is very quiet.
When you purchase an Air Conditioner, research it, look for the CFM, Cubic Feet per Minute, for the Blower.
The XQ CFM's is 175, the CFM's on the Kuhl Series is 240, and yes, the are the same BTU rating, 8000 BTU.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2012
I bought this expensive little puppy 3 years ago for my bedroom (NYC apartment). This unit cools and dehumidifies beautifully. It would be nice if the timer function worked. I'd also be happier if it directed air flow upward - when will A/C manufacturers learn that cold air sinks?? Small tip: use a ceiling fan. It's like getting an extra couple of points of energy efficiency.

But these are very minor quibbles compared to the real problem. I've had the installation revised at least 4 times, and spent a lot of time in between trying to figure out why it persistently makes a noise as loud as a freight train whenever the compressor is on. Not to mention the even louder thump when it first comes on. I've put soundproof foam everywhere I could squeeze it, and even wrapped it around the compressor. Because of this, for the past 3 years, A/C season for me has meant needing a white noise machine, and still being awoken at least 2 to 3 times a night. This last go-round, the A/C repairman suggested wrapping insulation around the freon pipes behind the compressor. So far this has helped, but we will see how long it will last. Not more than a day or two, from prior experience.

The setup with the slideout chassis and metal sleeve is a good idea in principle, but in practice it's a nightmare. Metal on metal plus vibration is never a good thing. If you're going to do that, Mr. Friedrich, you need to think it through more carefully and come up with a design that doesn't have to be tinkered with once a week. I think back fondly to the Sharp A/C I had in my previous apartment - half the price, perfectly good at cooling through 5 years of use, and a LOT quieter. And their recent models are every bit as energy efficient as this one is. I think people just report that Friedrich A/C's are quiet because no one wants to admit that they didn't really get value for the extra money they just plonked down. I doubt very much I'll ever buy another Friedrich. You're mainly paying for the name, but it doesn't seem to translate to quality.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse