Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on April 4, 2011
UPDATE 4-5-2011.

I Called Smittybilt customer Service (Also procomp) and turns out when shipped my unit it's possible the carrier dropped the box a certain way. My clutch lever was loose and this is NOT normal. They are sending me a replacement unit and gear cover to fix the issue for free. So if you purchase this - make sure the lever is tight when shifted from freespool to engaged as mine was pretty loose and could move with a pinky. B/c of the good customer service - i've changed to 5 stars

I just installed this on my cherokee XJ so this review will be specific to that installation. I have an ARB Bull Bar on a 2001 XJ. I attached a picture to the amazon for review.

This product comes shipped in a box. the styrofoam must be cheap b/c some of it melted on the controller cable. There appears to be no dents or dings and things came well. The synthetic cable doesn't come on the drum and is in it's own plastic bag. It does come with a pull line for the winch itself which is not pictured but is pictured in what i've posted. It does come with all the hardware needed which is nice.

I had to clock the transmission on my winch so that the handle would point downwards. I had to mount my winch with the bottom facing the the front of the car (you can see the bolt holes). I also had to clock the motor side of it so the battery connections are easily accesible. There are instructions on how to do both the clocking in the winch kit.

Installation: This unit weighs about 60 pounds and I was able to mount the winch with the bumper in place. I had about 3/4" of room to spare. I had a helper thread the screws in for me. For the fairlead I had to drill two holes. then i had to spacer the bottom mounts of the winch out with washers to get the nut to fit behind it. The battery cable provided is long enough. If i had to do it again i would consider move the solenoid to be underneath my hood. then run the longer cables to the motor itself. At current the solenoid sits on my radiator support. I took the solenoid out of the plastic container. The solenoid box is WAY too big, it should be made much smaller in my opinion.

So far I've only used this on a test pull. I pulled my jeep towards another rig as an anchor. I did it once as a double line and again as a single line. It's decently fast for it's cost. The synthetic line was what sold me on this in addition to the $50 rebate that is being offered. The line itself is extremely light so that would help a lot since this is bolted on the very front end of my rig.

I've found that the clutch handle does not stay engaged. When a load is relieved, it goes into a middle area between free and engaged. You need to apply some force to the handle to stay engaged. I've rigged something up for now that hold it. Will call their customer service and will go from there. My other complaint is a smaller and a truely waterproof solenoid case. These issues are what stop me from giving it 5 stars.
review image review image
on April 4, 2012
This winch was great to install and worked great for a while, however both my off reading partner and I have had the same issue which has been recognized by local dealers - if the solenoid gets wet, it will freeze up and not work. Be careful with how you install, and if you intend to use seriously, consider the X2o series instead.
on February 10, 2011
I've only used this winch a couple of times, but I love it. Thanks to the 100' of rope, I was able to self recover my truck while off-road by attaching to a tree that was around 75' away. Also used it to pull 8'-10' lengths of firewood out of the woods.
It has a nice line speed.
review image review image
on June 6, 2011
decent working winch for a good price, it is great with the synthetic line, my line is grey, not the blue that is pictured. Pretty slow line speed but it does the job. I used it twice already and it worked great.
on September 3, 2013
waste of money, bought it since I thought they were a decent winch with the price / synthetic rope. I think the rope is worth more than the winch.

Nothing but problems. gets stuck from engaging the clutch to free spool. Called smitybilt they replaced the clutch Gear set (mailed it to me) also had issues with the solenoids - I think I am on #4 now.

Now it doesn't want to stay engaged. if you use it buy a Warn or go and get a Harbor Freight one and if it goes bad they swap it out in the store for a new one.
on January 25, 2011
Got this winch on a friday. Went out to go off roading that night, and took that winch with me that friday night.
Saturday morning after waking up, and picking up camp. We hit the trail, and got stuck not too long after starting. I installed the winch out on the trail, and did it fairly quick. Shortly after the installation, I used the winch to pull me out of a rut. It worked flawlessly.
I was surprised at how reliable the wench was, and how strong it pulled. Would not hesitate to purchase this winch again.
on October 15, 2014
A bit noisy, but most are. Solid pulls with very little heat. I would love it if winches came with a solenoids that CAME with the option to remote mount. I was skeptical on durability of sythetic rope, but it's solid, saves a chunk on weight. My smittybilt bumper is in the ballpark of 170 lbs, I needed to cut every pound possible
on December 20, 2010
It does what it says.. Quite capable, pulled out a Cherokee and my Wrangler from a ditch without a fuss...
The installation is fairly easy, and the synthetic rope is a bargain...
Only thing is the free spool on it is quite tight, and needs some effort to free spool without the motor...
Good product, will recommend...
on December 4, 2012
haven't had to use it much but it does the job alright. looks good on the front of the jeep. had one just like it and it didn't hold up. hopefully it was just a bad build and this one wont tare up as the last one did.
on January 28, 2014
Highly recommended. Had a little problem when they shipped with wrong fair lead, but Amazon took care of it IMMEDIATELY! Installed in less then two hours and works perfect! Good price on this model.