on March 13, 2011
My wife and I bought this bed to replace an old spring mattress that we had. We thought it would be a good idea to have an open mind and test out some other products on the market besides springs. We went to the stores first to see what exactly it was that we were seeing online. The cheapest memory foam mattress that we found were around the $900 mark. We looked at Sleep Number beds, which did feel nice, but not for $1500 to $2500. Anyhoo, we found the Sleep Innovations 8" foam in the $300 dollar range and it was a no brainer. I know its a little nerve racking dropping that kind of money on a mattress you haven't seen before but it was worth every penny! I read all the reviews and prepared myself for the worst case senario. I expected a queen size mattress in a small box that was gonna stink up the house with a chemical odor that wasn't comfortable. That wasn't the case! The mattress did come in a small box, it was about 2' X 2' X 3' and it weighed about 70 lbs. Shipping was free :) I cut it open expecting the odor, and there was. The odor lasted for a whole entire 10 minutes after the mattress expanded itself accross the bed. As a matter of fact we slept on it that night and we were pretty comfortable. However when I woke up in the morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck my wife wasn't much better. This went on for a little over a week but the soreness did stop. I think our bodies were adjusting from the springs to the foam would be my best guess. Anyhoo, the moral of the story is that we have had it for about 3 months now and I couldn't imagine not having it and I kick myself for not buying this product sooner. If anyone asked I would defineitly recommend this mattress despite the intitial fears of buying something you can't really see up close. Also as for the bang for the buck, you can't screw up unless you absolutely hate it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2012
I've been searching for a mattress good for lower back problems. What appears to be the best type of mattress has a soft top layer of 2-3 inches and a very firm lower support layer.

I have tried several mattresses through Walmart and Amazon. None worked well. Some had a soft middle layer which is very bad for a sensitive back. Some were simply too soft. I need a supportive mattress. Several of the Walmart mattresses were over a year old and would not inflate properly.

Eventually I broke down and spend $1400 on a Tempurpedic Cloud mattress. It felt good initially. Very firm. However as winter approached and the house became cooler, the mattress turned to concrete. Too hard even for me. But that in itself wasn't the problem. The problem is that Tempurpedic's memory foam is too heat sensitive. The mattress would initially be hard as a rock, but would soften. The cloud is an 8" mattress with 4" memory foam, an inch of soft eggcrate, and 3 inches of firm support foam. Sitting on the cold mattress shows the problem. At first you sit on the rock hard mattress but then slowly start sinking. The sinking doesn't stop until several minutes later when you pretty much made it through the memory foam and egg crate. You may have sunk 4-5 inches into this mattress. Way too much.

A mattress which sags in the middle is the worst for a bad back, especially if you sleep on your stomach. The Temperpedic ends up doing this. A person's middle is heavy and gets hot under a blanket and slowly sinks all night. Feet and head are lighter and more insulated from the mattress (pillow etc). The end result is that your middle sinks way down, but feet and head dont. It acts like a sagging mattress. Add in partners movements and it makes for an unpredictably soft saggy mattress.

Enter the Sleep Innovations 8" mattress. I emailed their customer support and they kindly responded. ILD is the industry standard measure of mattress firmness. The higher the number the firmer.

Sleep Innovations replied that this mattress has a 2" layer of 3lb memory foam with an ILD of 9, and a 6" layer of 2lb polyurethane foam with an ILD of 40.

3lb density memory foam is about perfect. Tempurpedic uses 5.3lb and 7 lb. The higher the density the more temperature sensitive.

An ILD of 9 is on the soft side for memory foam. Tempurpedic has an ILD of 13-14.
An ILD of 40 for the base is very firm. I have another mattress also reported as ILD of 40 and it's bottom layer is clearly firmer than the Sleep Innovations. However, the Sleep Innovations base form is firm enough, its very supportive. Very well done.

Some mattresses with such a stark difference in layer firmness don't work well. You can easily push through the memory foam and hit a hard base foam. Somehow, this Sleep Innovations mattress does it very well. There is no abrupt or obvious change in firmness as you press on it. It smoothly increases through the memory foam into the base foam.

The build quality of the mattress is also very good, although no where near as nice (fancy) as the Tempurpedic.

End result, my back has been happy for the month we've had the mattress. I hadn't been able to say that for the 6 months we've been searching for a mattress.

I highly recommend this mattress for those who need a medium-firm to firm mattress which provides excellent support. Its especially helpful for those with lower back problems.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2011
Edit: one year later, I'll bump this to 3-stars. The mattress did soften over the first two months of use, however this stabilized. It is a little softer than I would like, but the foam seems to have settled in at its natural state of resilience and isn't degrading further.

-----
Original review:
I've had this mattress for 6 weeks now. I was initially very happy, but the foam has broken down and deformed. After 2 weeks it was already losing its "resiliency" - e.g. not bouncing back into its shape. There is a clear indentation or "valley" where I sleep, with a "ridge" between my side of the bed and my wife's. The "ridge" exists because neither of us sleep in the middle of the bed. I worry that after another 6 weeks the bed is going to be a "w", like two hammocks joined together. For the record, I weigh 175 lbs - if this bed can't hold up to the average size guy, then the foam material they use is cheap.
on July 19, 2011
This is my 2nd Sleep Innovations mattress. Bought mainly for my kids. I own the queens size for 2 years.

This is a great price because IKEA charge $400 for a similar memory foam mattress, don't be fooled by the $270 "foam" mattress, memory foam is the difference. You are paying for the soft foam that forms to your body's impression. IKEA does not have a decent memory foam mattress with 7" of foam for less than $400.

It's great for people who are side sleepers, no more aching shoulders backs.

I do caution that if this is your 1st time with a memory foam mattress, your 1st night actually takes getting used to. The 1st difference is your lower back gets proper support and you actually feel something is there in your lower back. Now some people with no back problems may actually feel uncomfortable, like sleeping with a pillow behind your back feeling.

Rest assured that you will get used to it and start loving the back support.

This is a great price for a mattress because it beats the low end models, this uses a decent thickness of memory foam. Those expensive ones with a thicker memory foam may seem great but it is not good for people weighing over 180 pounds you just end up sinking more.
on January 5, 2013
I have had a bad back for years and six months ago I had a setback that made everything, especially sleeping, painful. I knew a memory foam mattress would help me when trying to sleep, but I had issues with the prices I saw at furniture/mattress stores. I looked on Amazon, and although I hate buying big purchases without actually seeing them in person, the price and the reviews convinced me to try it. I am so glad I did! I loved that the mattress was delivered to my front door for no extra cost. I did need someone to help me get the box (very heavy!) into my house and onto my box springs, but that was still easier than the hassles of store delivery.

I have had this mattress for about five months, and it is still as wonderful today as the first day. Although there is a smell--for me, I noticed it for several weeks but it never actually bothered me after the first couple of days--and it look a long time for two of the corners to flatten completely, I was happy from day one. This mattress makes me a bit more comfortable while trying to lie down, and the support is much better than ordinary mattresses. It doesn't guarantee me sleep, but I know I will not be in as much pain the next morning. There is absolutely nothing that makes me wonder if I should have gone with a different brand, and while I have never had a memory foam mattress or mattress topper before, I know that this is the mattress for me.
on January 16, 2011
The mattress was easy to unpack and regained its shape within a day. The mattress is very commfortable when used with an existing box spring.

There is some odor from the foam that mostly disapates after a few days and completely after several weeks. Leaving the mattress unfolded and uncovered as recommended for several days would likely overcome this minor annoyance.

A great night's sleep is the best feature. The mattress aborbs shock and movement as an added benefit. If you would like a foam mattress the price is very reasonable for a mattress of this quality.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2013
Let me start by saying I've purchased 2 of these exact same mattresses in Twin size and had ZERO problems with either of them. Those mattresses came rolled where as this mattress came folded down the middle then rolled.

I believe the mattress I was sent had been in storage for far too long because after opening it, it never flattened out, even when we put weight on it for 2 days straight. It stayed in a "V" shape and even when it was forced flat, the crease down the middle would have made sleeping on the mattress extremely uncomfortable and because of the crease, the mattress was 4 inches short in width so it didn't fill the bed frame properly.

Horrible quality control if this is what they ship out.

Returning the mattress was a NIGHTMARE and I would give Amazon, UPS, and CEVA (freight company) each ZERO STARS for their parts. But this review is for the mattress, not the return process. I will say, if you do have to return this mattress, ignore the regular return process and call Amazon directly, ask to speak with their Large Item Returns Department. That will take SOME of the headache of returning this item. But my personal experience with returning this item included me purchasing a specialized mattress shipping box ($40) because since the original item is folded and then vacuum sealed, it would be impossible for you to get this back into the original box. I also had to get off work early THREE DIFFERENT DAYS to have this thing shipped.

I did have the mattress replaced with the 12-inch version and that one came folded, rolled and packaged the same way but I had zero problems with that one.
on March 26, 2011
We bought this in the Queen size to put over our current box spring to replace a coil mattress that is only a couple years old. this foam mattress arrived at lightning speed and like other reviewers it did have a factory type smell. So we left it air out for a few days on our back porch and then in the den.

We placed it on our current box spring and moved the coil mattress to the guestroom, just in case the foam mattress did not work for us. Well, the coil mattress went to the curb within 1 week of sleeping on the foam mattress because we have had such amazing comfortable nights sleep its really amazing. Now, when my husband gets in bed I don't even know he climbed in bed. I don't roll towards him like I used to with the coil mattress. He is 200lbs and i am 100lbs.

I have had neck surgeries and am currently pregnant and this Foam Mattress is just so soothing on my body the instant I get into the bed! I am so mad at myself for not buying it sooner.

The cost was unbeatable and the foam mattress is even better then I imagined. It is just right, it is not too firm at all its just a sturdy foam that molds to your body. It feels so good. I haven't had any new neck or back pains since having this mattress. With the coil mattress I would wake up with stiff joints and sore, especially in my neck. Now, no more stiff joints, just a refreshing sleep and honestly I do not even want to get out of bed anymore.

Thank you for offering this fantastic mattress for a great price!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 9, 2012
Despite what the manufacturer says, this mattress molded for us after less than a year. We used it exactly as the instructions said and it still molded like crazy on the underside. It comes with a supposed 20 year warranty, but the manufacturer will not help you. I e-mailed asking them tips for cleaning the mattress and instead they just rattled off things they (incorrectly) assumed I did wrong that may have voided the warranty. It's otherwise a great mattress, but it doesn't matter how comfortable the mattress is if it also collects spores that can make you sick and the company has this "buyer beware" policy. Even if this just happened to be a one-in-a-million faulty product, Sleep Innovations' customer service has completely turned me off of the company forever.
on May 23, 2011
I took a chance on this item, based on the reviews on here. Everyone here is right, this bed is great, i have never slept on a temper/pedic mattress, i have always used traditional mattresses but after this im never going back.

Oh and after you open it it does smell funny, like a chemical smell. But it goes away quickly, like 4 to 5 hours. And i had no pain going from traditional to this memory foam matress. Also stupid me opend the box downstairs, if you live in a two story open the box very close to the bed frame cause it was a pain in the butt lugging it up stairs lol.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...