Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 12, 2011
This item includes a wall plug adapter, a cigarette lighter adapter, and a sync/charging cable that works with various Apple devices (such as the iPad, iPhone, and most iPod models). The advantage to this particular set is that the charging port puts out 2.1 amps, which means that it is designed to charge the iPad at the same rate as the adapter that is packaged with the iPad. Some reviewers on Amazon and elsewhere have reported that it actually charges the iPad slightly faster than the original adapter, and I confirmed with my Kill-a-Watt that the Griffin actually draws about 10% more power from the wall than the stock adapter (see details below). I do not have the tools to accurately check the current draw from the cigarette adapter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also charges an iPad more quickly.

STOCK iPad ADAPTER:
When first plugged in: 11W
After a few seconds: 10W
Above 80% charge: 9W

GRIFFIN POWERBLOCK WALL CHARGER:
When first plugged in: 12W
After a few seconds: 11W
Above 80% charge: 10W

The cable packaged with the Griffin chargers works not only as a charging cable, but as a sync cable as well; i.e. you can use it to connect your Apple device and your computer to sync data between them. If you have an iPad, it WILL charge as well--although the iPad screen will probably say "Not charging" and the charge rate will be much slower (.5A from most USB ports, compared to 2.1A from the wall or cigarette lighter).

The Griffin chargers are light but seem well built. The wall charger, although longer than the stock iPad charger, is only slightly thicker but not as wide (see my customer image), and it also has a folding plug. So it has a nice form factor that is just as convenient for travel as the original adapter. I just measured the cable (albeit roughly, since I don't have a tape measure handy) and it's about 42 inches long. I think it's about the same as the OEM cable that comes with the iPad.

This set is also available at the Apple store, so obviously Apple endorses this set of Griffin chargers for their own products. However, it is considerably cheaper here on Amazon.
1010 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2010
Finding a decent charger for Apple's newest products is not as simple as you think. All of the products above require newer more powerful chargers and most older ones will not work at all. In addition, the cheap newer copies are hit or miss and you really can mess up your i-product. This Griffin charger works great and charges quickly with no annoying messages popping up on your device. The company is very respectable. The conversion from wall to car is handy for traveling and the cord is long but not too long. . Highly recommended.
on August 12, 2010
I have tried several of the USB wall chargers and none have been able to charge my Kindle 2. This one has charged everything I have tried it with. I really like the folding prongs on the wall charger, makes it easier to pack. I also like that this package gives you the ability to charge both in your hotel and in your car, all with the same USB cables.

I travel with a Kindle 2, a Blackberry, and a Ipod Touch. It works with them all. Additionally, one of my friends has the Ipad and I confirmed it does charge the Ipad in a reasonable time frame.

The light is not annoyingly bright like some other USB chargers, but easy to see.

My only wish is that the wall charger had multiple USB ports, but not dividing the current may be why it charges the Kindle.
on November 30, 2010
I've gone through about half a dozen chargers for my various iDevices, and this one is the best by far.

* Charges very quickly compared to other chargers
* Works consistently with iPad and iPhone (no compatibility errors)
* Solid quality materials (superior to Apple's which I found to be quite prone to having a frayed/separated connector)

I will never again buy a cheapo charger. The quality in this one is well worth it. Highly recommended.
on November 5, 2011
worked great -- then died... while i was (am... i write this from the road) traveling! And 2 weeks after return window ended.

update:
Now that i'm back from the field -- let me explain: It worked fine -- very well, in fact, for 5 weeks. Then I started to get a notice on my iPad that it was "Not Charging". In fact, it was still working, but only at a trickle charge rate. Basically, it stopped working, and according to all documentation from apple, it's the fault of the charger. It just crapped out -- after 5 weeks. Damn, I had high hopes for it. I'll try to contact the manufacturer and let you know how it goes, if they help, I'll improve the review!

update #2:
Griffin Technology will replace the failed charger. I'll still have to pay shipping, but at least I will get a working charger, right?
on August 18, 2011
Purchased this after we found out the Griffin car charger we have doesn't power the iPads, so I looked for a replacement. We found this one that also comes with a standard AC adapter to use at home plus the car charger and figured it was worth a shot.

It charges the iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and iPad 1 and 2 beautifully. I have had no problems with any of our six iDevices. All have charged quickly and with no problems. A nice feature on the AC unit is that the plugs fold into the unit making it perfect for travel. We packed this on a week trip recently and it performed great.

The included sync/charge cord is roughly three feet long. You get that plus the aforementioned car charger and home charger that can also be used for other USB devices as they both have a standard female USB port.

For the price, a very good buy.
on December 14, 2011
Previously, I gave this charger a 4 star review, but after 3 months, it has stopped working completely. The car charger still works just fine for my HTC phone, but the wall adapter does not do anything when I plug my iPad 2 into it. I always keep my charger in the same place and it does not take any kind of abuse, so I was quite surprised when one day it only worked if it was plugged in upside down. After about 4 days of this working, the whole thing just died completely. DO NOT BUY unless you plan on replacing it a few months down the road!!
on May 2, 2011
There must have been a different cable in earlier packages. The one that came in my order syncs fine and allows playing through the headphone jack at the same time it's charging.

This works great for charging the iPad and iPod Touch 4th gen. I was a little worried about charging my iPod with these since they puts out more power than chargers designed for an iPod only. Not to worry, each device will only draw what it needs, the charger won't put out more power than the device can handle. So, one charger for both my iPod and iPad when I travel is very convenient.
I bought this 2 1/2 months ago but didn't want to write a review until after giving the car charger part of this package a serious road test. I just did, during a drive to and from Washington DC that put around 2000 miles on my car. It passed with flying colors.

At home, hotels, and homes other than my own, I use the wall charger to charge my iPad (I don't own an iPhone or iPod), as well as to charge two different Sony MP3 players I own (models NWZ-A818 & NWZ-E345). In the car I use the car charger to power the MP3 players. (And it's nice to know that I could charge my iPad via the car charger should the need arise.)

The black cable that is included with the car and wall chargers is the same length as the white cable that came with my (1st generation) iPad. The wall charger is longer than the Apple wall charger and thicker from one angle while about the same thickness from another (the prongs fold into the unit as on the Apple charger). In my experience, Giffin Technology makes nice quality stuff and the units in this set are not exceptions. Unlike the Apple wall charger, the Griffin wall charger has a light on it (that stays on when the unit is plugged into an outlet, a factor that may be a tiny help in reminding travelers that it's there so they don't forget it and leave it behind). I prefer to travel with the Griffin wall charger because of the light and because its slimmer profile (from one angle) than the Apple charger makes it easier for me to fit it with my travel stuff.

The Griffin car charger has a circle of light around the USB charging cable input, and in addition to being a nice looking unit it seems to be well built and sturdy. I keep it in my car and when not in use it sits in the (never used for ash) ashtray.

The end of the cable that plugs into my iPad looks like it may be a hair thicker than the same end on the cable that came with my iPad, but it nevertheless fits fine through the openings in the various sleeves and cases that I keep my iPad in. (I also own Griffin's 3m Usb To Dock Ipad Iphone cable, a nice, ~9 foot long, sturdy match for the sturdy wall charger that comes with the PowerDuo set. I bought the cable at WalMart for around half of the current price listed by the Amazon seller.)
on November 26, 2011
Update: The part that plugs into the car lighter completely fell apart when I pulled it out. It's like it disintegrated into 20 pieces! I felt I should change the rating to 2 stars. I was not hard on ithe charger at all, it was stored in a compartment when not in use. Really no excuse to why it fall apart like it did.

Original review:
I brought this charger on a road trip and was glad when it charged my iPad so quickly. The ipad had no trouble recognizing the charger right off the bat. I accidentally left my original iPad home charger at my daughter's house so have been using this as my home charger as well. No problems at all with any charges, and it is as fast as the oem charger. The USB cord works fine to sync with my pc. The reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because I wish they could have included a longer cord. The cord is about three feet long. My pc sits on the floor so this cord barely reaches from my pc to the top of my desk. Also in the my truck the cord barely reaches the backseat. Later i will have to buy a longer cable, but for now I am happy to have found a quality charger that works as a home charger, USB cable and a car charger.

See 1 answered question