Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on October 2, 2008
Pictures just don't do your pregnant body justice! This is an excellent way to have a three dimensional, tactile remembrance of your belly. My husband and I found it very easy to use and I had no problem with the plaster sticking to my skin after using the supplied lubricant (which I LIBERALLY applied to all of the sensitive spots!) I did mine while standing since I thought it gave the best looking shape to the belly, but it dried quickly enough and the whole process from starting to plaster to pulling if off was only about 20 minutes. There were plenty of plaster strips, even after casting my full torso with breasts, we still had some left over. A very nice kit and a reasonable price.
on August 26, 2010
Gosh, at 38 weeks I thought I was going to die doing this. My butt and legs fell asleep but that can't be helped at that stage. lol. Be sure to get a comfy chair because you will be sitting awhile. I had to stop early when there wasnt many layers on, but I used the extra strips to reinforce the inside of the cast. I recommend doing this with the remaining extra pieces. It is now sturdy and decorated and I love it! What a great product to use to capture the memory of a special moment in time you will never have again. :) I used ribbon and confetti from our wedding to decorate and added a 3d ultrasound picture of his face to it and it turned out awesome!
review image review image
on August 18, 2008
I bought this exact same kit from here. Very easy to use, a little messy but it could be a lot worse. My husband did the cast on me and it was a lotta fun. It dried pretty fast too. Some advice if you'll do this: use VASELINE instead of the lubricant that's on the kit. Mine ran out so I tried to apply as much as I could... but it hurt a little bit when I tried to put the cast out (the skin sticks to the cast) cause it wasn't enough. Be careful with the belly button, it sticks to the cast and it hurts to put out, also the nipples... apply a lot of Vaseline in those areas. Other than that, I'm completely satisfied with this product. Looks beautiful.
on August 27, 2012
I just used this kit one week ago. My doula applied the balm and the strips while I sat in a chair. Here is my take on the experience:

- The whole process took much longer than anticipated (about 40 minutes), and I was extremely uncomfortable by the end. I would recommend sitting in your most comfortable chair - I used a dining room chair with a pillow and the plastic sheet over the whole thing, but my back and butt were killing me by the end.

- It can be very difficult to apply the casting material over hands. I used my right hand/arm to cover my breasts and my other arm to hold the bottom of my belly (so it wouldn't look weird having just one hand/arm). My fingers were spread wide as recommended so that my doula could get between them, but the gauze kept sticking to her gloves, so whenever she pressed the gauze in between my fingers, it would just stick to her finger and pop right out. It took a ton of patience and water, and the finished result isn't the greatest. There are areas between my fingers that do not look quite right, but I am afraid to sand them because the cast is quite thin, especially in that area. There is even an area by my hand that cracked while it was drying! I am really bummed about that, and I am not sure how to fix it.

- Count on it being messy. The plaster drips, crumbles, and gets EVERYWHERE. It comes off with water, but it will take a good amount of scrubbing to remove from floors, the table, and your pants. If you feel comfortable, I would recommend wearing just panties. I wore sweat pants because I was afraid that I would get cold. I was never once cold, and I had to wash my sweat pants 3 times to get all of the plaster off of them. Also, the edges of the cast will crumble a little when you remove it from your body, leaving dust and chunks of plaster on the ground. It sweeps up pretty well. I've seen videos online where it looks like a very clean process (using other brands) - I'm not sure how that is possible. My doula has done this at least one dozen times, and it was messy. Maybe the other brands have kits that are less messy or something.

- The cast looks cool, but it is super flimsy. We used all 4 of the rolls of belly casting material (cut into strips, of course), and casted from a couple inches below my shoulders to the the bottom of my baby bump. I have heard that it is a good idea to reinforce the cast by applying leftover strips to the inside of the cast, but we have none left over, and we have already spent a small fortune at the craft store and hardware store buying sanding screens, gesso, brushes, etc. It has dried for a week, and I am scared to sand it because it is so flimsy that I fear it will be easily ruined. If I had known this, I would have bought the deluxe kit so because it comes with an extra roll of the casting gauze, and some supplies to finish the cast with.

- You must at least seal the cast. My cast is totally dry now, but the edges kind of crumble at the slightest touch. It is recommended that once the cast dries (24-48 hrs)you smooth it with a sanding screen, then seal the whole thing (inside and out) with gesso, otherwise it will continue to crumble and make a mess. After that, you can decorate the whole thing however you want, or leave it as is. This is time consuming, and for $10 more, I wish that I would have bought the deluxe kit since it has the sanding screen, brush, and gesso included. (I spent $30 buying these items separately, so I wish that I would have known I'd need these items in advance of purchasing the kit). I thought that the basic kit had all of the necessary items, but if you don't want the cast to fall apart, sealing the cast is very necessary.

- Overall, if I had to do it again, I would get the deluxe kit or try another brand. This kit makes a flimsy cast, so unless you have the materials already, you will have to invest additional money into buying things to sand and seal everything - why not just pay $10 more and get the deluxe kit? I am due in 4 weeks, so my husband and I are debating whether we should attempt to sand, seal, and decorate the one that we have, or just start all over again. I have seen other brands online that have very thick strips, which might allow the process to go more quickly. I will post an update if we try it. I will also update regarding finishing this cast if we decide to do that instead.
on January 22, 2012
This was a really affordable and awesome purchase. My cast turned out amazing and I am so happy that I did one. Also, lots of women who have seen it said they wished they had done one. I did it standing up which was way more comfortable than sitting. It definitely took longer than they described on the box but it was fine. 5 minutes after we were finished it popped right off and we put it near the wood stove to dry.The only reason that I gave it 4 stars is because the balm that they give you is soooo smelly and as a pregnant woman my nasal passages felt like they were burning. I would personally buy yourself a jar of vaseline or something that doesn't smell so much.
on April 4, 2011
I bought this belly cast kit for my neighbor who is slightly larger than the "average" pregnant woman, but there was enough material to cover her belly, bosom, and I still had some left over. It dried quite fast but when more liquid was applied to the sheets (while i was still smoothing it out) it made it soft and pliable again. It dried hard as a rock and we decided to paint a really cool picture on it - the material allowed for very vibrant colors when we did paint it. I would highly recommend this.
on March 5, 2014
I read some reviews about the product: many consumers complained about the time it takes to be done and dirty. I almost gave up! I chose the cheapest because if I did not work, I would not lose much. My husband made the cast. I sat in a chair at the porch. We covered the chair with the plastic provided by the product. It took us around 40 minutes to do it and dry (entire process). My husband never got any of the plaster on himself. I love it!
on May 30, 2011
I was very impressed with this product, and it was a lot of fun! We were being really careful with how long we cut the strips because we were worried we would run out, but when we were done we realized we had plenty left over and could have done at least one other complete cast! We painted ours blue for our baby boy and had hospital visitors sign it. Now it's a souvenir of the birth of our little one!
on May 3, 2013
My wife and I had a lot of fun in doing this Belly Cast. The people that gave it bad reviews clearly didn't read the part of the instructions that advised that you visit your local hardware to get some additional stuff to smoothen and strenghten your cast. I just wish I saw the advanced kit before I got this one because the Advanced Kit would save you that trip to the hardware.
on November 8, 2011
I thought this would take 30-60 minutes, but from the time my husband started applying the strips until the cast was finished only took 20 minutes. :) I smoothed down the last strip while he was putting on the next one. Our only problem was that my husband cut some of the strips a little too long for the chest area so it took more work to get those to smooth out. I'd definitely buy one of these again!

See 1 answered question