Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on December 16, 2010
The specs of the watch are really good, but it is when you start using it that one realizes that the Timex Global Trainer does not perform to expectations.

Firstly, the GPS in the watch, although it uses the same chip as that of the Garmin Forerunner, the performance in the Timex Global Trainer is extremely inaccurate. i.e. it takes an average of 5-7min to lock the satellites, unlike other devices, which can lock satellites in matter of seconds. Also, once a session is recorded and loaded onto a map (such as Google Maps), one can appreciate that the tracking of the device is very inaccurate. I have seen distance reading erros of up to 12% (e.g. you run 10miles and the watch says you have run 8.8miles!!) , which is very very bad. Other GPS watches only have a 2% error max accuracy (i.e. Garmin). I have checked this issue on the internet and other user reviews on Timex's Global Trainer GPS show this same issue. I have sent the watch to Timex, got it replaced for a new one, and the same issue persists. TIMEX HASN'T GOT A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM even with their latest FIRMWARE release (v. 3.14) made on August 2011.

Secondly, the workout data downloaded from the watch to the PC is proprietary and can only be used on the TrainingPeaks website. Forget about exporting you data to other better and cheaper websites such as MapMyRun or WorkOutLog. This wouldn't be a problem if TrainingPeaks had a good system, but it is slow and in many occasions it won't load 100% of the workout information (plenty of software improvement is needed on their side). TrainingPeaks has a cost of c. $20/month, while other websites only cost $20/year. The Free version of TrainingPeaks won't show you all of the information from your watch (e.g. HR zones, Cadence Zones, Power Zones, etc).

Conclusion: The GPS is a no go. On a spec basis the watch is not that expensive against competitors but if you include the cost of the software to visualize your workouts you need to add $+120/year, and thats another no go. I have bought the Garmin Forerunner 310xt, Garmin is better value for money and you are not stuck with proprietary software that doesn't work!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
I have a Garmin 405 which is not waterproof... I wanted something I could use for the entire triathlon... this one is waterproof but will not provide data on the swim... things I did not care for...

1. Took FOREVER to acquire signal... downloaded new firmware.. still takes minutes to acquire!
2. HUGE... this thing is HUGE... not heavy but HUGE!
3. Training Peaks software not as user friendly as I am used to... costs $$ for access to all the features.
4. None of my logs are Timex compatible so uploading requires manual insertion of data... BAD!
5. You may be able to have 4 fields of data visible at once but it is nearly impossible to read it while running because it is so small.
6. Glare based on angle makes reading watch difficult!

I was happy to go back to my Garmin... this thing was just not for me!
on May 11, 2012
This watch does everything you need one too. It tracks your heart rate, speed, distance, with the bike accessory you get cadence, and it evens maps your swim. It does take some getting used to and if you are the type that doesn't like looking at your wrist on the bike then you need to take the watch off and use the bike mount. It is big but we like the fact that you can see all the info you want at once. The only problem is that you can hit the buttons too easily if you bend your wrist a lot. My wife uses it to work out with and has added a bunch of splits just because of pressing the buttons while her wrist was bent. I really like how it integrates perfectly with Training Peaks an being able to go over all my training data. You get an awesome map and graph based on your workout. If you are looking for a small training watch with GPS then this may be the wrong watch for you. If you want all the features and like customizing the display for your different training plans then get this watch. We love being able to go back and review our work outs and seeing the map of the route we took.
on March 23, 2011
Like what the others have said, there are a lot of negative things that can be said of this watch. One is the slow acquisition of a GPS signal. I have the Garmin 350 and it acquires satellites faster by 1 to 2 minutes. The other one is the proprietrary software, trainingpeaks. I wish they'd just offer this for free.

It is HUGE and I like it that way. ;) I wear the watch to the office and people always look at it. If you have it set to TIME only it can last 2 weeks without charging.

Oh, and another gripe, for some reason the clasp/buckle of the watch rubs on my wrists, which can be inconvenient to slightly painful after awhile.

I also use the heart rate monitor that came with my Garmin 305 on this watch and it works fine.
on May 10, 2011
I have had this watch for over a year now. I started to use this watch to train for my marathon however, the watch is very slow at aquiring the Satelilite. I recommend not buying this watch until they fix the GPS connection time. I am waiting for my Garmin 610 to come in to see how that watch performs. Hopefully it will be better then this one. Not worth the buy also battery does not charge to full I can only get it to charge up to 90%.
on March 1, 2014
Overall this watch works great, there are some days the GPS has trouble finding a signal which can be frustrating when its a clear sunny day. I usually start the watch 5-10 mins prior to my run but when it takes 15-20 with several resets it can be frustrating. Outside of that occasional issue the heart and cadence monitors work flawlessly and the watch functions well with a good battery life.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
I'm sorry you're having difficulty with the GPS connection. Please contact me at for assistance with your Global Trainer's GPS capabilities. We want you to be happy with your Timex product. Thank you, Angelina
on November 26, 2013
I owned this GPS watch from almost 2 years. I can't say it is perfect but truly no GPS watch is. Recently I used it in an MTB expedition where we lost the trail and had to walk carrying the bikes throught a dense vegetation for several hours. I managed to guide us back to the parking place thanks to my Timex GPS watch. Some bikers including myself where already severly dehidrated. Since then I carry it with me fully charged everywere I go with my bike.

1. Durability. After two years the watch works exactly as new, the battery life is still OK (about 6 hours).
2. Water resistant. This watch is really water resistant (you won't beleave many garmin watches are not).
3. Heart rate battery battery. The band uses a cheap CR2025 that you can find anyware for less than a $1. Ask around the price for a polar watch battery.
4. You can customice your views to have any information at hand.
5. Great value for the price, specially when you are not paying full retail price. I got this for $100.
6. Its ok for using on your wrist or in the bike handle bar.

Cons and tips for other users:
1. It is a very difficult to get GPS signal when you just. Sometimes it can take up to 20 min to calculate position or more if you are moving it or its cloudy. TIP: Turn it on as soon as you wake up an put it in a window or leave it on overnight while charging.
2. Lost GPS conection during a training sesion. TIP: Do not lost all data of your training sesion switching the watch off and on, rather disconect the GPS sensor at the configuration menu and conect it again inmediately (do not move the watch).
3. No heart rate/erratic heart change. TIP: wet the band, don't be shy. You may need to change the band battery every 4 - 6 months.}
4. Its a bit bulky. Yes but all GPS watches are.
5. Training peaks sofware its not cheap. Well there are many free functions that you may enjoy. If you are training as professional you might be willing to spend an extra $100 in software.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Juan, I'm glad you are enjoying your Timex Global Trainer! If you are having issues with the GPS connecting easily, contact me at to see if we get that response time improved for you. We want you to be happy with your Timex product. Thank you, Angelina
on February 22, 2014
It's a great watch for workouts , hiking, biking, and running ... It's kinda annoying to wear it if u have a small wrist because it's a huge watch ...
on October 1, 2012
I've had this watch for 18 months. It is difficult, to say the least. It has been so difficult to master that I typically say at the beginning of the run, "why bother," I'll just wear my ordinary chrono.

Satellite acquisition can be very spotty. There have been times when I've waited for 10 minutes at the beginning of a run and they still have not been acquired. I say, what the heck, I'll take off. Down the street a mile or so, I'll stop and try again, and get them within 20 seconds. But this scenario has been repeated so many times.

I traveled to another state to pace a 100-mile runner. At the start of my leg, it wouldn't acquire. So, I just turned the watch on and let it run, and after about two miles, it acquired.

I question its judgment. In this 100-mile run, I had to do a 4000 foot ascent. The watch showed me descending from 8000 feet to 7000 feet throughout the ascent, even though I started at 4500 and ended at 8500. Even though I could tell it was accurately giving me pace and distance, its altitude readout was just plain wrong.

The proprietary workout software is primitive and almost useless. Finally, my mapmyrun site supported the watch.

The face and watch is too big and the numerals are too small. The watch is far larger that what pictures depict, probably because it appears to be a standard Ironman in advertising.

I'd avoid this one. I'm giving it to a nephew.
on April 11, 2014
Update: Not sure what's up w/ the Seller, but my Timex watch was to come with a heart rate monitor and AC adaptor--it didn't. Timex (not the Seller) provided responsive customer service to address this issue; therefore, I modified my rating. Further, unlike others, Timex did not request or encourage me to change my rating or comments--the choice was all mine based on my personal experience with Timex (not the Seller)--Timex (not the Seller) simply provided outstanding customer service.

It would have received two stars if not for my poor judgement in buying what appears to be an older model (e.g., 2010) unknowingly. The watch's integration with current fitness tracking apps is awkward. GPS struggles to find satellites. Guess if the watch is from much earlier days, then it stands to reason the battery is at the end of its useful life. Lesson-learned: caveat emptor.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Steve, I'm sorry you're having issues with your Global Trainer. Please contact me at so I can assist you with the watch. We want you to be happy with your Timex product. Thank you, Angelina