Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on November 12, 2003
If you are looking for a great, feel-good holiday movie that everyone can enjoy, this is your movie. It is not just another typical cartoon, though. There is a nice mix of comedy, drama, and great holiday fun to turn this into the next holiday classic.
We begin with Scott Calvin, a divorced businessman with a child. His wife has got another man in her life that Charlie, their son, looks up to, while Scott is still alone. It is Scott's turn to take Charlie for Christmas that year, but Charlie is less than enthusiastic about staying with his work-involved, unattentive father. Nothing goes well for them that night with dinner (it is actually quite a humorous affair), and you can sense the distance between the father and son.
Later on that night is when things change. Scott scares Santa Claus into falling off of the roof. Charlie nags Scott into putting on the Santa suit and getting into the sleigh. From that point, there is non-stop action until morning as Scott finishes up Santa's job. At the North Pole later that night, Scott finds out that he is now subject to the Santa Clause and that he has become the new Santa whether he wants to be or not.
The next morning, Scott wakes up and assumes that it was all a great big dream. He is in for a rude awakening, though, when Charlie remembers the whole thing and insists that it happened. Scott spends the year denying that tey took a trip to the North Pole. All the while, his body undergoes some pretty hilarious changes in preparation for the upcoming Christmas.
Along with Tim Allen as Scott Calvin/Santa Claus and Eric Lloyd as a very cute little Charlie, there is a great supporting cast to add to the movie. Judge Reinhold plays as Charlie's role model and his mother's (played by Wendy Crewson) new boyfriend. He is a dull psychiatrist that manages to add his own humor to the story with his disbelief of Christmas and his loud sweaters. There is also the unforgettable David Krumholtz as the elf Bernard. Bernard has been around for quite a long time (just ask him) and has dealt with more than one Santa. Charlie takes a liking to him and he becomes a very integral part of the movie.
This is a great holiday movie for anyone and everyone. The blend of comedy, fantasy, and touching real-life issues (like family and divorce) will make it an instant classic.
on September 26, 1999
Once a year, there comes a time for families to get together and celebrate the magic of the holidays. The Santa Clause is a wonderful movie for the family to watch, one for all ages. The story is heart-warming and funny. Tim Allen is terrific. I recommend this movie for anyone who loves the Holiday season and believes in the spirit of Christmas.
If the summer weather is getting to you and you start to long for snow and Christmas cookies with hot apple cider, this is just the movie to awaken that inner child who is still fascinated with life and believes in magic.

The scene is set for a rather bleak Christmas. Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) plays the part of a divorced toy company executive who wants to spend Christmas with his son. Charlie is not exactly thrilled with the prospects of his father's culinary talents and they opt out for dinner at Denny's. Later that evening after Scott has read The Night Before Christmas to Charlie, Charlie awakens to the "clattering" on the roof. Scott runs outside to find reindeer on his roof and Santa who then suddenly falls off the roof. Ooopps.

So, what will happen to all the presents and who will deliver them? Scott puts on the red suit and by doing so enters into the" Santa Clause" and must be the next Santa. In order to prepare for his duties, he physically changes into the jolly Santa everyone loves. Scott mentions a few "versions" of Santa Claus who are loved by millions of children all over the world. This legendary figure is portrayed in this movie as a jolly, stout man with a twinkle in his eye, rosy-red cheeks and a cheerful laugh. This is the American adaptation of the European legend of Saint Nicholas.

Though he may look a bit different in each country and be called many names, to children of all countries his message is the same. They peek out the windows and hope to catch a glimpse of this special man as he flies through the sky, delivering gifts for boys and girls they will get to open on Christmas Day.

There are many enjoyable witty lines executed so well by Tim Allen. The script is superb and memorable. The classic "Tim" with fire extinguisher in hand to save the flaming family turkey is a must see. Charlie himself says some pretty funny one liners and is quite the actor in this movie. The elves are also adorable and they come to the rescue at a moments notice.

A very enjoyable family comedy you can laugh along with, year after year. While this movie doesn't really explain the true meaning of Christmas, it does give some insight into the true spirit of the Holiday Season.

~The Rebecca Review
on November 5, 2002
With the possible exception of White Christmas, The Santa Clause is the best Christmas movie since films went to color. As you can see from other's reviews, this is an absolutely terrific film. If you are wondering whether or not to get it, get it and, if you have even the tiniest good feelings about Christmas, you won't be disappointed.
That said, someone at Disney aught to be taken out and slapped for the dismal way this movie's "Special Edition" was treated. Admittedly, if you want to finally upgrade to the Widescreen version of this film (as everyone should), this is your chance. Beyond that, however, this DVD is an unworthy homage to a terrific film. There are no commentaries, no production notes, not even the usual fare of trailers from the film. What is there is an absurd featurette where the actor playing Bernard comes out and gives a pep talk to a group of elves plus some holiday recipes.
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I figure that, with this release in advance of The Santa Clause 2, they would have really loaded this up. Director commentaries are a must and, with Disney practically owning Tim Allen, a commentary with him and some of the other stars would have been great added value. The movie is great, as my rating references, but this is NOT a Special Edition, no matter what it says on the case.
Anyone buying this should enjoy the movie and write Disney and complain about its treatment.
on January 19, 2016
I love sharing Christmas movies with my wife and daughters especially ones they haven't seen before. This year, I got to share the Santa Clause with one of my daughters, who just crossed over the magic threshold in life of understanding sarcasm. Other than Home Improvement, this movie is by far the best work Tim Allen has ever done, in my opinion. The dialogue is a little "off" but the story itself and the funny takes on the character are sweet and timeless. If I had to pick a favorite scene, it would have to the introduction to the North Pole...the innocence and soft colors make you think of warmth and comfort. So does that amazing sleigh bed! I have two more daughters to watch this movie for the "first time" with and I can't wait to hear what they say. When I first watched the movie I bought a sleigh bed. My daughter asked me, after the movie, if Santa was hurt during the fall off the roof or if it was just make believe. I hate how they grow up but love being able to have those kinds of moments.
on August 8, 2013
Awesome family Christmas show. However if you have young children you will want to consider that the son isn't a believer for part of the movie and the mom/step-dad support that. In the end it all works out, but could raise some questions about Santa with young viewers.
on February 21, 2016
I just love these older movies, They really are classics. And sharing them with the younger generation of my family not only brings back memories it creates new one with the grand kids. There are just so many great movies but the classic family ones are my all time favorites with out a doubt. I have shared them with my own kids growing up and now I am sharing them with my grand kids. I remember watching them when I was younger and I am so happy to have them on Amazon so I will not lose them, no figure prints and cleaning them and they can never break. I can watch them anywhere with the kids on my laptop with my Amazon. This is great for the vacation nights when it is time to settle down. I buy all my movies this way now, they take up no room in the house, no finding the wrong movie in the case, there are so may benefits this way. I am very happy with all the movies I have bought. from Amazon
on January 3, 2014
This is one of my favorite Christmas movies EVER! However, amazon prime has not close captioned it and it was impossible for me to hear. Yes, I know every line in the movie but it's just not the same when all you're hearing is "garble" because you are not able to process (due to severe hearing loss which even hearing aides will not help with if you're watching TV or the Kindle) what's being said. If this were CC'd, I'd give it a full 5 stars!!!!!
on November 6, 2015
First off, I've always liked Tim Allen. I remember watching Home Improvement growing up (you know, when they actually had good family shows. Example, TGIF. If you're in your mid-20's and older, then you'll know what I'm talking about.) and when I first saw Sant Clause, I loved it! It's in my top ten Christmas movies. A wonderful and funny, family oriented movie. My family and I watch this not just during Jolly season, but also after (and after the football games) we stuff our mouth with turkey, mashed potatoes, corn bread, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. Anyway, BUY THIS MOVIE! Oh, and I didn't run into any problems with the blu-Ray version.
on March 9, 2016
I adored this movie as a kid when it first came out in theaters, and now my own kids adore it. Which is such a delightfully strange feeling (I feel so old!! Eeeek!!) My favorite thing about this movie though is that it is appealing for audiences of all ages, not just kids. It isn't overly dumbed down and "kiddie" as so many family movies can be (and unfortunately the sequels of this movie, in my opinion). It is funny, smart, and charming. We watch this movie every Christmas, and I highly recommend others to also! :)