Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas
Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange
Price:$2.99

This is a movie you could watch every day for a month, and not fry your brain.

I know, because I had to. My son was obsessed.

The five shorts comprising "Twice Upon A Christmas" are all delightful, and perfect family viewing.

First I must say that the digital re-creation of our favorite animated characters has been done to perfection. Eye-popping crystalline perfection.

The Minnie-Daisy ice skating duel features those dancing hippos and crocs from Fantasia, and beautiful digital effects and designs.

Huey, Dewey and Louie's journey to the North Pole has a classic caper feel to it; it's fast and funny. When one of the little guys drifts a little too close to a snoring Santa's breath, he initially winces. Then he smiles and says, "Hm! Peppermint! With a hint of mocha!" It's cute. My wife and I laugh, and my 2.5 year old wonders why.

Goofy and his son Max has some nice musical numbers in it. Again, seeing these characters in their three-dimensional glory is a sheer delight. I liked the moral of this piece, not quite sweet enough to give you cavities, but close.

Donald's discovery of Christmas spirit is also a heart-warmer, and here the animators show off their magic and skill in giving innumerable facial expressions to our favorite hysteric.

Mickey's Christmas party, with Pluto going off to be a reindeer is a fine ending to a great set of cartoons. Paying attention to the dialogue pays off as well; the creators have inserted lots of sly asides for us older folks.

Kids will be entranced...literally. Adults will totally enjoy this. It reminded me of the way I felt when I watched those stop-motion Rankin-Bass classics as a kid.

These really could be the next generation of Christmas Classics!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After getting this DVD from the library last year, I knew that my son was a big fan of Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas. In fact, so was my husband. He's an artist, and very critical of shoddy animation. However, with this DVD, he often comments on the well-done, vibrant images of computer animation. (If you're a parent of a child, you probably already know how shoddy some of the CGI can be in kid videos! Happily, this is not rendered poory like some movies.) In fact, I was amazed at how Mickey's sweater looked so real, as well as the snow-covered trees, holiday lights and Christmas trees, Minnie and Daisy's gossamer skating outfits, and so on.

An open "Storybook" presents each tale, and we are whisked away into five magical stories showing true-to-life situations involving relationships. (And you KNOW how the whole family/relationship thing can get during holidays... *wince*).

Clever writing abounds, as well as numerous sight-gags. My son and I think it's hilarious when Huey, Dewey and Louie burp to a Christmas song--and when Daisy implores Donald to "say something!", he burps in response.

For those who think this DVD is mean spirited and violent, I have to say it seems like I was watching an entirely different movie than they apparently were... I mean, the classic Huey, Dewey and Louie animated shorts AND comics always presented their mischief. In fact, in the original theatrical shorts, the nephews were sent to live with Donald because their father was in the hospital! Why? Because the boys sent him there by putting firecrackers under his chair! (So I hardly think that ol' Walt is rolling in his grave. Lighten up, people--this is the guy that gave us Fantasia! You know, the movie that features Night on Bald Mountain, the song about the nocturnal demon Chernabog who summons restless souls from their graves until driven away by the sound of a church bell.)

If you want to see nasty kid programs, try renting a Thomas the Tank Engine DVD!

Granted, the Minnie/Daisy catfight and pettiness was surprising (thus, the reason I'm giving it four stars), but reality isn't sugar-coated Disney dreams. Friends often have jealousy, children are often onery, Dads can be grumpy at Christmas (and while shopping) and so on.

I'm very cautious about what I let my son watch, and I don't object to this fine holiday DVD. (Because we live in a house WITH manners--and we stress kindness--my son is quick to point out sad moments...and ones where people are behaving not-so-nicely.)

My family and I are huge fans of slapstick comedy (Jerry Lewis, Dick Van Dyke, etc.), so Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas is a real treat in the humor department. The colors and details of the animation is absolutely stunning. For example, Donald goes behind the curtain at "Mousies" (Macy's) to investigate their annual animated production. It's done with a black light, so Donald and the lighted animatronics have a very cool glow that can be only found with black light effects.

I especially like this episode because of the clever sound effects: surrounding Donald in the mall are people and machinery that mimic the song "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"--change in the till, a blender, puppies barking, etc.

In the store, I gave my son a choice between Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas and Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, and not surprisingly, he chose this one. (We just bought it last night and he's already watched it four times--the last time, while he sat on my lap and we cuddled.)

This DVD also has some extras:

*A behind the scenes look at how animators were inspired by skating sensation Michelle Kwan

*Deleted Scenes - How the structure for the movie unfolded, and why they picked certain stories for the DVD

*Several Games and Activities

*DVD-ROM Holiday Printables

If you're concerned that this DVD might be too controversial for kids, rent it first. If you like it, show it to your kids. You'll soon know whether you want to purchase it or not. For me and my family, we feel this is an EXCELLENT purchasing decision.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My only disappointment with this DVD was that it wasn't longer. The five shorts on this DVD were great, especially the one with Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck as dueling ice princesses and the story of Pluto's adventure's at the North Pole hanging out with Santa's reindeer. I thought this last story could've been a feature length tale in itself.

While I agree with many that seeing the characters in full-fledged 3D animation, I don't think this new rendering of these wonderful characters could have been done any better. No, it's not animation of the quality in the top budget motion picture releases, but it's nonetheless extremely well done.

If you love Christmas and you love Mickey and the gang, you and your family will love this DVD.
on December 2, 2004
Having been a fan of Disney animation all my life (let's say 37 out of a possible 42 years at least), including personal experience with animation, I'd like to share one tangible benefit of the new generation of CGI graphics. I purchased the DVD around two weeks before taking my family to WDW. I have a two-year old daughter, who we call "Princess" as she certainly relates to the Disney princesses, whether they are the classics like Cinderella and Snow White, or her more contemporary friends, Belle and Ariel. I thought it would be wise to introduce Mickey and all his friends before visiting his Florida home, so we gathered to watch this newest Christmas feature. To say the least, my daughter was captivated by the animation, and I was dually impressed as well. What really struck me however, was her reaction while at Disney World. I believe the realism of the 3-D graphics made it a whole lot easier for her to relate to the actual characters that we later met in the various parks. As great as the Disney classics have always been, at the young age of only two, the translation into real time does not always happen. Twice Upon A Christmas leaves no doubt about the 3-D realism.

I don't need to dwell on the story lines any further than what has been discussed by others - they are simply creative entertainment that can be enjoyed by all. I did appreciate some adult oriented lines throughout the different stories, especially from Huey, Duey and Louie in their features, as well as Daisey and Minnie's verbal exchange in the middle of their skating battle. The reindeer are pretty entertaining in Dog-gone Christmas - definitely a departure from the claymation classics of old.

I'll admit that when you watch the video for the 20th time in two days, you'll need something else to keep you occupied, however your children will be glued to every word. Even though you may get tired of the repetitve viewings, take another look and enjoy the subtle details throughout. Whether it's the glittery sheen of the Christmas tinsel, the realism of the swirling red punch in Mickey's punchbowl, the dust on the floor beneath Pluto's rug, or the cracks that form in the snow just before it breaks away to fall on Mickey's head, take a moment to enjoy the layers of creativity that went into each scene - much more than could ever have been accomplished with 2D.
on December 9, 2005
The animation in this movie is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is still cartoon-like, but they look three dimensional. Disney is amazing!

The stories are fun and contain all the characters. My son loves (15 months) just loves it. If you're a Disney fan and love Christmas movies this is a must have.
on August 17, 2006
I liked the different stories, but i thought the ones about minnie and daisy and the one about goofy and max could have been longer. my favorite was probably the one with mickey and pluto. but my absolute favorite part of the movie was the different popups that appeared between each story. They were cute and clever.
on November 11, 2004
I'm not a huge fan of CGI movies. Shrek's okay and Monsters Inc had it's moments, but I've just never been a huge fan of it. However, I decided to reserve judgement on this one until I saw it. I got it as a gift, so I might as well watch it.

It was fairly short (only 68 minutes long). The animation quality may not be up to par with Pixar, but it's still pretty good.

The most important thing, beyond the technical animation is whether it's fun or not. I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed it. The skits were actually entertaining. I haven't really watched Mickey and the gang since I was a kid. It was nice seeing them in action again. And whether your a big fan of CGI or not, it still boils down to entertaining stories that will help get the entire family in the Christmas spirit. It's sure to be a hit with the kids especially, but also the adults.
on November 14, 2004
I can understand how many people are gripping with the "traditional" Mickey gang going 3-D and highly computerized but I am happy they did. For one, I am just glad to see a DVD based on the Mickey/Minnie, Donald/Daisy Goofy and Pluto clan. My daughter loved then at Disney this year and it is hard to find new stories on them.

I think the fact that they have "updated" them leaves some parents yearning for the good ole days but the kids LOVE this advance stuff and its fun to watch my 3 yr old in awe of it. If you have been to Disneyworld and enjoyed Philarmagic, then you will LOVE this. Same exact concept minus the actual 3-D with glasses. The animation is wonderful, and the voices of Donald, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy were right on. Daisy and the nephews were not so good - but kids don't really notice that stuff. Seeing Scrooge Duck was great too as I loved Mickey's Christmas Carol growing up. I only wish they added a story about Chip and Dale and Donald. Those were always my favorites.

My 3 yr old said the Minnie/Daisy story and Mickey/Pluto were her favs although she watched the entire thing without moving and laughed out loud a few times. Myself and my husband had quite a few adult laughs too. The lessons learned here were very good too but I think mostly kids 5 and older would truly understand them.

I am just really glad Mickey and the gang are back again. The Three Musketeers and this in one year leaves me hoping Disney will be adding them to more movies in the upcoming years.

If you love Disney and don't over analyze things, you will LOVE this DVD. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is that I wish the DVD extras were a little better. The games are a little lame.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My children were so excited to watch this DVD - and naturally I was happy to comply. It didn't hold my attention quite as well as it held their attention (natural, I suppose - they are the intended audience at 3 and 7 years old) but I enjoyed the messages from the Fairy-Tale Like stories as well, told in modernesque animation (that I learned a lot about reading the words of other reviewers here at Amazon.)

I especially enjoyed Minnie and Daisy learning to not let competition get in the way of their friendship... I truly smiled inside when they said, "what were we thinking?"

Disney also enhances vocabularies - using phrases in the introduction such as "egos get bruised" and "so cordial and nice" (little ones learn EGO and CORDIAL in the blink of an eye.)

I also loved the generosity of spirit in the short starring Huey, Doey and Louiey (how badly did I misspell those names?) and the sweet tale of Maz and Goofy could have warmed the ice out of my freezer. My almost thirteen year old enjoyed that one - there was a part of it that was almost like a music video.

My children also enjoyed the Bonuses - which are an important aspect of all our DVD viewing - sometimes the bonus features are more important than the DVD itself!

Twice Upon a Christmas is the perfect video to pop in while you are wrapping presents and need some private time.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas is a follow-up to 1999's Once Upon a Christmas. The big difference is that this time around is that it's been computer animated in 3D...that's quite a change to those of us used to seeing Mickey and the Gang in traditional 2D. But I guess the success of Pixar has pushed this change.

There are five short features included, each running in the 6 - 18 minute range.

"Belles on Ice" features Daisy and Minnie in a figure-skating duel.

in "Christmas: Impossible", Huey, Duey, and Luey mail themselves to the North Pole to guarantee they get presents for Christmas.

"Christmas Maximus" features Goofy and his son Max, as max is worried about pops messing things up when he comes home from college with his girlfriend. Max is in college AND has a girlfriend???? where have I been??

"Donalds Gift" deals with Donald's frustration with the holiday season and hearing We Wish you a Merry Christmas over and over.

The last and best feature is Mickey's Dog-Gone Christmas" Mickey punishes Pluto and send him out to his doghouse. Pluto then Runs away to the North Pole and Mickey goes off in search of him.

All in all a pretty good DVD of Christmas fun. The Animation certainly is not Pixar quality but it's decent but takes a bit of getting used to.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations