Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on BGG

on November 9, 2011
At first when I tried these on I felt like I would be sending them back but after 20 minutes things changed.

1) They are REALLY breatable. I know that's not a word but don't know how else to explain it. If I am walking and it is breezy I can feel the wind in my toes and across the top of my feet, yet I am not cold (40-45 degree fall days in Seattle).

2) They do repel water even though the seem like they would not. I would not say they're waterproof though.

3) The tread would be great for light hiking, but is not the best in slippery urban environments. I still wear them though when in the city and just pay attention.

4) The insole has a unique shape in regard to arch support. At first they felt very foreign but it did not take long for me to get used to them and I have not had any sore feet/arch issues when wearing them all day.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2012
These are great looking shoes and extremely comfortable; I bought them to wear for work, walking around outside in all weather. While they aren't as waterproof as i'd hoped, they are better looking than I expected and I've ended up wearing them all the time, not just for work!
on December 2, 2012
I'm on my second pair of these shoes, which should mean I like them quite a bit. They're very lightweight, yet supportive. The rock plate works very well to protect the bottom of your feet on the rockiest trails, and here in CA, we have some brutal trails that will chew up and spit out most shoes. Which brings up the bad point about these shoes: they're light, and as such, they just don't last long. I used my first pair for some weekly/biweekly 10 mile treks through some super technical trails, and after a few months they were just worn out. I'd sday after about 50 miles, the high density rubber midsole (inward side of the shoe) starts to seriously compact like a pancake. That's really bad news given that I overpronate. And after a good deal more usage, the vibram outsole starts to come undone, with the tread piece slowly peeling off the shoe. This only took about 5~6 months under my usage, which may certainly be more extreme than most.

Aside from that, it's a great shoe that makes for very comfortable hiking/trail running. The outsole is more grippy than most shoes I've tried, and the ion mask works pretty well at keeping your feet dry from modest encounters with water. Just don't expect them to last long, like a good trail shoe should. I would never buy these unless they were on sale given how often they need replacing.
on October 17, 2012
Pros: lightweight, great stability, good traction, Ionmask really work with rain. A great shoe for beginners in minimal running.
Cons: I would like to have a little bit more wide toebox.
on July 14, 2013
If you are going on well established trails this show works fine. It does not do well at keeping water or dirt out. It does have great impact protection on the bottom of the shoe, and is rather light compared to the traditional hiking boots options. One other work of warning, the mens 12+ sizes have a rather narrow design to the front of the shoe. It feels like the shoe is pushing your toes together. At this time they do not offer a wide shoe option for us big feet.
on December 6, 2013
I really wanted to like this shoe. Overall, it is a solid shoe, but it just didn't fit my foot quite right, but to my fault, my right foot is very difficult to get a good fit with shoes. If you are looking for a solid built shoe that is waterproof (resistant), you should try this shoe. If it fits you, you will like it. P.S. If you are looking for a cushy type shoe, stay away from this one. It is on the medium side for cushion.
on February 2, 2013
I ordered these shoes for hiking and they are quite comfortable. The footbed is cushioned well. They are very breathable & really kept my feet dry in mucky terrain. The soles are very good quality but tend to lose their grip on smooth surfaces. Overall I'm very impressed with the shoes & would buy them again in the future if I needed another pair.
on June 8, 2013
I've run about 40 miles in this shoe so far and am happy. Mostly I run on sidewalks or jogging paths but have had this shoe on boulder strewn trails with much success as well. The shoes seem to resist odor, at least to this point. I love how lightweight and breathable it is... I noticed the breeze in my feet! Good shoe in my opinion.
on September 24, 2013
This shoe was comfortable and breathable. It fit well, my only issue is that I have a high arch and this didn't quite give the comfort I was looking for. It is a nice shoe, one that can easily translate into a casual office shoe. As far as comfort goes, I think if I add additional arch supports this shoe will be perfect.
on August 3, 2013
The first pair of hi-tec shoes I've bought rocked, but I thought I was simply lucky. So I went ahead and bought these since they were only about $60, but they turned out being better than even the $200+ shoes I've foolishly bought as a kid. Hi-tec has won themselves a loyal customer.